S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Vala won't be redeemed by her husband. Vala will be redeemed by her interactions with Daniel, and how she deals with her daughter.

Vala and Daniel are the magic couple, and TPTB are going to keep them together as much as possible. PU was such a popular ep that they will do everything they can to keep that chemistry up and play on it. Vala's Ori husband will either play the foil, die quickly, or just disappear from the story entirely (which seems rather probable giving the writing of this season... after all, who cares about continuity?). His love for Vala may redeem HIM, but it won't play much of a factor in Vala's redemption, I think. That will have to come from Daniel.
    the whole thing just causes my head to hurt.

The Daniel the wunderkind-the redeemer-I just can't take anymore of that.

and they are going to try and relationship another couple-only this time take two major opposites on the morals scale? Did they not learn to stay away from writing relationships?

it is just so sad that they are gonna take what was a decent show and turn it into such a farce.
    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Vala won't be redeemed by her husband. Vala will be redeemed by her interactions with Daniel, and how she deals with her daughter.

Vala and Daniel are the magic couple, and TPTB are going to keep them together as much as possible. PU was such a popular ep that they will do everything they can to keep that chemistry up and play on it. Vala's Ori husband will either play the foil, die quickly, or just disappear from the story entirely (which seems rather probable giving the writing of this season... after all, who cares about continuity?). His love for Vala may redeem HIM, but it won't play much of a factor in Vala's redemption, I think. That will have to come from Daniel.
      so...wonder who's been reading the Harlequin romances?????

You probably have a point in a way, although i'm still expecting a cam/vala angle to develop of some sort

the 'problem' is, to me, it's great if you happen to like vala or daniel or the two of them (although the storyline so isn't complimentary to daniel, he's reduced to vala's cliche ridden straightman) but it doesnt' leave very frelling much if you happen to like ANY other aspect of the show

16 (since that's all shanks is in) episodes of the Daniel/Vala PUnch and Judy show will finish killing the show
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

<----lurches hurriedly to toilet to toss cookies...

Okay, I'm back. I could totally see this happening. It just makes me thoroughly ill to think of my Daniel - oops, I mean Daniel, being turned into the butt of Vala's banal 'jokes'.

Sideshow Daniel....very very sad.
        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by RyantheGreat
          I do think S10 will be the year the decides the fate of SG1. It'll all sink or swim on this season, and on whether SG1 can survive without RDA. It barely survived without MS.

S9 introduced so many new ideas and characters, Ori, etc, that a lot of people hung around just to see what happens next. Now all the groundwork has been set up, and S10 won't be able to blame new characters and RDA leaving.
          Just wanted to correct the fallacy that season 6 did badly - points to S7, S8, S9 & S10 as proof, and considering they didn't intend to continue after S6.

Agree with the rest.

Comment

In addition to all the sexual innuendo attempts at lame humour, the portrayal of violence seems to have been supercharged as well. The Vala burning and the scenes of Cam's trumped up murder were chilling. Way beyond "oh another Jaffa staff wound..."

what do you all think?

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
              In addition to all the sexual innuendo attempts at lame humour, the portrayal of violence seems to have been supercharged as well. The Vala burning and the scenes of Cam's trumped up murder were chilling. Way beyond "oh another Jaffa staff wound..."

what do you all think?
              a lot of the big boom this season is-as Skydiver has pointed out correctly so many times-is that RCC is fond of the 3 B's and no-one of them does not stand for Brains.

Bombs!
              Boobs!
              Butts!
              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca

what do you all think?
                It's interesting that you mention that. I vaguely remember other moments in Season Nine, where I was like, "Wow, they've never tried that before." I mean, much of what they tried still sucked (though I was initially intrigued by their very un-Stargate way of directing Collateral Damage, there were many aspects that still blew), but at the same time, they have been taking steps away from "Your father's Stargate," or whatever archaic show we've all been pining after for all of these months.

Methinks they're going to try to be more and more like BSG... And though I don't see how fantastic that series is like everyone else seems to, there's something about the current Stargate that could never achieve that kind of fanfare.
                Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 24 March 2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  It's interesting that you mention that. I vaguely remember other moments in Season Nine, where I was like, "Wow, they've never tried that before." I mean, much of what they tried still sucked (though I was initially intrigued by their very un-Stargate way of directing Collateral Damage, their were many aspects that still blew), but at the same time, they have been taking steps away from "Your father's Stargate," or whatever archaic show we've all been pining after for all of these months.

Methinks they're going to try to be more and more like BSG... And though I don't see how fantastic that series is like everyone else seems to, there's something about the current Stargate that could never achieve that kind of fanfare.

I watch all three shows on Friday SG-1, SGA, and BSG.

I find that BSG is more gritty, more in your face then SG-1 and SGA. It takes real world issues: terrorism, rape during wartime, and torture of the enemy. BSG started out gritty, while in my opinion, SG-1 is trying to play catch up with the times and is failing fast.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                    I watch all three shows on Friday SG-1, SGA, and BSG.

I find that BSG is more gritty, more in your face then SG-1 and SGA. It takes real world issues: terrorism, rape during wartime, and torture of the enemy. BSG started out gritty, while in my opinion, SG-1 is trying to play catch up with the times and is failing fast.
                    If SG-1 is attempting to be gritty, they need to dump the quip-a-minute comedy routines.

But I don't think SG-1 is trying to be gritty. I see it being written for more laughs than ever, and that's part of the problem.

I dont' want it to be another BSG. But I don't think every ep needs to be played for laughs, either. A little bit of real drama would be appreciated. There's just not much drama there when you know Asgard transporter technology will save the day.

Sam in danger at the end of the season? Nah, they'll beam her aboard some ship in the first minute of the next ep. Where's the drama in that?

My LJ

Comment

yeah. and while BSG is original in its grittiness - from a scifi aspect anyway - SG1 will never measure up. It's like with Orlin and we were watching and going 'ok, well they have the cajones to kill him off?'

the mutual response was No. Gotta always go for that 'happy' ending

BSG, at the most, has a 4-5 year life span, and that will probably be stretching it.

ron moore is doing a great job, but you can only keep it up for so long

What SG-1 needs to do is cut out the superficial crud and put a little thought into things. A little feeling. Get back those character moments that made the show great for 6 years. Let the characters tell the story, not simply be along for the ride like they are now

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        yeah. and while BSG is original in its grittiness - from a scifi aspect anyway - SG1 will never measure up. It's like with Orlin and we were watching and going 'ok, well they have the cajones to kill him off?'

the mutual response was No. Gotta always go for that 'happy' ending

BSG, at the most, has a 4-5 year life span, and that will probably be stretching it.

ron moore is doing a great job, but you can only keep it up for so long

What SG-1 needs to do is cut out the superficial crud and put a little thought into things. A little feeling. Get back those character moments that made the show great for 6 years. Let the characters tell the story, not simply be along for the ride like they are now
                        Ummmm... I didn't catch the season-ender for BSG, but heard many a person gripe about it and methinks it might have already reached the point of recylcing its own stories....

I'm glad SG isn't BSG. What I have watched of BSG is that there's a lot of shock value and whatever way they can twist an arc in a 180 degree turn to throw you off they do. And how long can a viewer keep an emotional connection to a show when you know there's probably 5 or 6 Cylon-clones of a character out there? You start to get pissed for being jerked around and lose track of the which non-human you're supposed to be rooting for....

As far as SG - it's been enough to have S8 of SG end with the killing of the original timeline SG1 team and have us following the "close enough" team in S9. (But that's how I explain away S9 & S10..... close enough was far enough out to explain some stories that are beginning to push the show more into fantasy scifi than a reality-based scifi)

Oh well.
                        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                          Ummmm... I didn't catch the season-ender for BSG, but heard many a person gripe about it and methinks it might have already reached the point of recylcing its own stories....

Oh well.
                          we'll see. it's something that can work out really well and help him avoid 'voyager syndrome' or something that'll bit him in the butt

but given how he's kept my interest for 2 seasons, i'm willing to go with it for a bit longer

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                            a lot of the big boom this season is-as Skydiver has pointed out correctly so many times-is that RCC is fond of the 3 B's and no-one of them does not stand for Brains.

Bombs!
                            Boobs!
                            Butts!
                            Yes. I do think, however, that they are going beyond 'bombs'. I thought the Vala burning scene and Cam's murder scene were shot in intimate and artistic detail - very unStargate-like. Really made me go 'hmmmm' in a bad way.

Comment

good point. i really hadn't noticed the increase in violence, or rather the focus on violent aspects

maybe it was a homage to some action movie that we all missed?

sigpic

Comment

Gritty vs. humor aside, SG1 will never get close to BSG until TPTB start adding honest character development and interactions, consequences to actions and lose the Reset Button, and better overall writing. They can do all those things and still have a lighter, funnier show than BSG.

Comment

Working...
                                X