No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW I think that Janet if they choose to bring her back somehow (very unlikely) is if she is from another parallel world and comes to ours and asks for asylum (but would be a deja-vu).
    School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      Sheesh. While I'm not a fan of RCC's at the moment, I think such hostility is a bit... psychotic.

How do we know Brad Wright is coming back to SG-1, though?
      When JM was talking about a pitch for an SG1 episode, he said "I do know that Brad liked Morpheus".
      So assuming that's Brad Wright he's talking about and assuming that BW doesn't already play a part in the story spinning process, it might mean that he's taking more of a role on SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        one fan even made a 'wanted dead or alive' poster with brad's pic on it
        Are this people crazy? I don´t know very much about US law but were I life doing stuff like this could bring someone in trouble.
        Wouldn´t be surprised if there were some of the same people behind who are now cry havoc if someone dares to say that he or she is missing Jack...
        Last edited by Kirara; 15 November 2005, 04:00 AM.

Comment

the wanted poster happened a few years ago and i do think was more a case of someone gettting carried away with the whole situation and not thinking. a little 'gang mentality' set in. and i'm not calling them a gang, i'm referring to the philosophy of confidence in numbers. people get carried away and on a roll trying to accomplish something or get caught up in 'one upsmanship' and do things that they may normally not do
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            When JM was talking about a pitch for an SG1 episode, he said "I do know that Brad liked Morpheus".
            So assuming that's Brad Wright he's talking about and assuming that BW doesn't already play a part in the story spinning process, it might mean that he's taking more of a role on SG1.
            Sounds like Morpheus could be an ATLANTIS episode, as Joe pitches/writes for both series.

Originally posted by Joe Mallozzi
            I've always been better pitching on paper than delivering verbal pitches, so I wrote up a bunch of story ideas for both shows: Extreme Measures, In the Darkest Recesses, The Kindred, Suffer the Children, Yesterday Today and Tomorrow, The Tainted, and Morpheus. I do know that Brad liked Morpheus.

Comment

handled his absence better imo. Showing Landry talking to him from time to time is fine, but I'd really like to see more references to him or bits with Sam/Daniel/Teal'c talking to him on the phone or referring to a recent conversation with him. Would just make me feel a little more like he was still a part.
              The problem was not that RDA wanted to leave. *That* was something that the writers could not do anything about. However, the writers were in complete control as to *how* it was handled. After 10 eps of season 9, we still have no official information as to where Jack is, what he is doing, his relationship to the SGC. Nothing. Online fans have some idea because of things said online--that Jack is now the head of Homeworld Security--but the mainstream, non-online fan would still have absolutely no idea. And even *we* don't know for sure that it's accurate, because it still has not been said on the show. (And we still have no clue as what happened to Hammond.)

I think that this was a disgraceful way to address the loss of the character who had been the core character on the show, and a slap at all of the character's fans. Contrast this with the way they handled MS' walking out on the show.

Then again, it *is* in line with the disgraceful way they have treated RDA since he left. Cooper and Judge have gone out of their way, IMO, to insult him, and even Simon was set up to give the party line (why would you ask someone who didn't come on the show until season 5--a pretty tense season with Shanks' leaving, following by an even more tense on considering the invective that was being hurled at the show and TPTB--and who has been on about 6 times in total, what the difference is without RDA? Except to have someone else say how nice it is now that RDA's gone. And there's no question that it got back to RDA: view his foreword for the Season 7 & 8 Guide). It was classless.

Hmm, maybe *that's* why they have no problem with Vala?

Since some of us are talking ratings, I went to check and see the average for the first 10 episodes in from S6-now. And they are:

S6. 1.69

S7. 1.65

S8. 2.01

S9. 1.96

One thing you need to keep in mind is that SciFi has increased the number of households that get the station since season 6. (And there was a reason, IMO, why the 1st half of season 7 dropped slightly. Whereas the second half of season 7 rose over season 6--again for a specific reason, IMO.)

The problem with season 9 is that the ratings have gone down as the season progressed, which is not a good sign. Even worse, the mid-season cliffhanger did not do well, comparatively, and this ep is usually a strong one.

Merely indicating that he liked an ep does not mean that he's taking over a bigger role. More importantly, if BW liked "Morpheus" that much, he may be losing his touch!

In regard to Sam next year: according to people who were at Gambit (I believe that was the con), AT said that when RCC knew there was to be a season 10, he called MS, CJ, BB *and* CB, but he did not call her. She found out from one of the others and called him, and he said that they didn't know what to do with Sam. Excuse me? WTH?? They didn't know what to do with Sam? Gee, they no longer need an experienced military officer with science/tech knowledge? Because--what?--we're going to fight the Ori with our sunny personalities? Daniel's new biceps?
              Spoiler:
              Vala's spawn?

Then at a later time he said that they would give her 20 eps split between SG1 and Atlantis. Way to totally marginalize Sam even more. She won't be a real part of SG1 and they can't give her any thread/storylines if she's on Atlantis half the time; and Atlantis doesn't need another scientist, so she'd probably only be a foil for McKay, but this time with the roles reversed, that is, with McKay being the center and the person who's "right".

And it's not as if they have done anything much with Teal'c except ruin his character (why isn't he on Dakara, fighting for his people's future? Because Gerak was gaining adherents? Well, he was assured more of them if Teal'c wasn't even there to present another option, wasn't he?) Yet, they still seem to think they need him on the show. It is clear that they have decided to please both the Farscape fans and the anti-Sam contingent.

Whatever the reason in regard to the character, that was a terrible way to treat someone who has been with the show from the beginning and who has given them superb work over the last 8-1/2 years.

AT said something about that she might have had some feelers for another series. If that's the case, I say take it and run like hell.

J.
              Last edited by DarkQuee1; 15 November 2005, 08:41 AM.
              "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

The whole idea of a season 10 seems overkill IMO.
                I got hooked on SG-1 a few months ago, and ever since I have been watching all the earlier stuff and I have to admit that SG-A is picking up, but SG-1 is just junk food at the rate it is going. After watching it, it just kind of leaves me tired from the constant Ori this and Ori that. At least with the earlier seasons TPTB actually had some different stories that took off with the characters.
                I almost hate bringing up this comparison but SG-1 is going the way of ST:ENT, IMO.
                All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                  Then again, it *is* in line with the disgraceful way they have treated RDA since he left. Cooper and Judge have gone out of their way, IMO, to insult him, and even Simon was set up to give the party line (why would you ask someone who didn't come on the show until season 5--a pretty tense season with Shanks' leaving, following by an even more tense on considering the invective that was being hurled at the show and TPTB--and who has been on about 6 times in total, what the difference is without RDA? Except to have someone else say how nice it is now that RDA's gone. And there's no question that it got back to RDA: view his foreword for the Season 7 & 8 Guide). It was classless.

Hmm, maybe *that's* why they have no problem with Vala?
                  I tend to agree with you. A couple of questions though. Who is Simon? And what Season 7 & 8 guide are you talking about? Could you quote what RDA said?
                  sigpic

Comment

she's probably talking about cliff simon...baal

and i agree. they have, either openly or backhandedly dissed RDA at every opportunity. In fact, AT is the only one to mention him in any sort of a positive light.

s9 has been touted as the best ever, we're having the most fun we've ever had, we get so much more done...yadda, yadda.

all comments meant to imply 'damn, we're glad that old fart is gone, we can have fun now.

now, to be fair, i'm sure it was a pain in teh butt to accomodate rick's schedule. i'm sure a lot of people worked very hard and were inconvenienced to make sure rick could make his flight.

but i did'nt hear them *****ing about it when rick's signing on was necessary before scifi would re-up the show. meeting rick's requirements gave them jobs and meant that there was a season 6, 7, 8 and yes, 9 and 10 not to mention 3 years of atlantis since, i'm sure, had the show died with season 5, the spin off would have died with it.
                    and yes, i agree with DQ that how Rob handled it with amanda was rude to the core. talk to and cosy up to the BRAND NEW USED TO BE GUEST ACTOR before you even bother to talk to your female lead????? that is a horrible slap in the face and an insult. even if they had no plans set in concrete they owed her the courtesy of a 'ok, see, we got this situation amanda.....' phone call.

take this into thought with the comments made by shanks this last weekend implying that sony/mgm/scifi don't really care about the individual actors anymore and you get a definite feeling that 'a big happy family' is just PR white wash. there's nothing family about it...unless you're related to a sicilian mafia group

THis is one reason taht s10 just doesn't fill me with joy. i'm seeing far too much interferrance from suits. i'm seeing what i'm interpreting as a way too submissive attitude on part of the show runner. i'm seeing a show that's going to treat some of its actors like crud while sucking up to others....which suggests that no matter who you like, their fate is only as secure as the fickle mood of some dude in an office in california.

I see stargate joining x-files, enterprise, voyager and otehr shows on the 'it WAS good' list and i see it fading away as some silly joke

it's really sad to see something good fade so much.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well, I see that the "I don't know how to read thread titles and just exactly what does 'ONLY' mean anyway?" contingent has made its first appearance. <<g>>

I tend to agree with you. A couple of questions though. Who is Simon? And what Season 7 & 8 guide are you talking about? Could you quote what RDA said?
                      Cliff Simon, who plays Ba'al. I don't have the book in front of me, so I am paraphrasing, but the last line of his piece in the book--which mostly talks about what a positive experience it was being on the show--ends with a line that essentially says that it seems that things go so much better now that he's not there.

I read a lot of hurt feelings in that line--and despite that, he still hasn't had a bad word to say about the show, including in the rest of his written piece for the book. Now, *that's* class.

J.
                      "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

the wanted poster happened a few years ago and i do think was more a case of someone gettting carried away with the whole situation and not thinking. a little 'gang mentality' set in. and i'm not calling them a gang, i'm referring to the philosophy of confidence in numbers. people get carried away and on a roll trying to accomplish something or get caught up in 'one upsmanship' and do things that they may normally not do
                        Yeah... A psychologist could totally have a field day with any online fandom, if they felt so inclined. The results probably wouldn't look too good.

Comment

she's probably talking about cliff simon...baal

and i agree. they have, either openly or backhandedly dissed RDA at every opportunity. In fact, AT is the only one to mention him in any sort of a positive light.

s9 has been touted as the best ever, we're having the most fun we've ever had, we get so much more done...yadda, yadda.

all comments meant to imply 'damn, we're glad that old fart is gone, we can have fun now.

now, to be fair, i'm sure it was a pain in teh butt to accomodate rick's schedule. i'm sure a lot of people worked very hard and were inconvenienced to make sure rick could make his flight.

but i did'nt hear them *****ing about it when rick's signing on was necessary before scifi would re-up the show. meeting rick's requirements gave them jobs and meant that there was a season 6, 7, 8 and yes, 9 and 10 not to mention 3 years of atlantis since, i'm sure, had the show died with season 5, the spin off would have died with it.
                          and yes, i agree with DQ that how Rob handled it with amanda was rude to the core. talk to and cosy up to the BRAND NEW USED TO BE GUEST ACTOR before you even bother to talk to your female lead????? that is a horrible slap in the face and an insult. even if they had no plans set in concrete they owed her the courtesy of a 'ok, see, we got this situation amanda.....' phone call.

take this into thought with the comments made by shanks this last weekend implying that sony/mgm/scifi don't really care about the individual actors anymore and you get a definite feeling that 'a big happy family' is just PR white wash. there's nothing family about it...unless you're related to a sicilian mafia group

THis is one reason taht s10 just doesn't fill me with joy. i'm seeing far too much interferrance from suits. i'm seeing what i'm interpreting as a way too submissive attitude on part of the show runner. i'm seeing a show that's going to treat some of its actors like crud while sucking up to others....which suggests that no matter who you like, their fate is only as secure as the fickle mood of some dude in an office in california.

I see stargate joining x-files, enterprise, voyager and otehr shows on the 'it WAS good' list and i see it fading away as some silly joke

it's really sad to see something good fade so much.
                          It is all really insulting. Though we've seen it coming since they just dropped Corin Nemic as soon as Shanks decided to return.

I personally thought that perhaps being that it was a Vancouver run show, it would be different from Hollywood. And it's not. It's just a job to them. All they want is green, and they don't care who they step on in the process.

What they don't realize is that if you make a quality show or movie, the sales will be greater over the long run then if you slap something together and throw the batman label on it. Yes, a lot of money up front, but sales will stink later. Just an example there, I'm so glad they've returned to quality with the latest one.

Another thing to think about, Ben and Claudia were Scifi channel actors longer than the Stargate actors. They have a history with them, so they are going to accommodate them better. Who knows if they didn't make promises to them about Farscape and then failed to dish out. Stargate might be just compensation for them. Though I don't know, it's just the way appears to me. Kind of like how they dropped Nemic from Stargate and shifted him to Mansquito. They even used, his Stargate time to publicize that movie to draw in a larger audience.

Though personally if you put these people that run these companies in front of a chess board, I'm sure they would pretty much not know how to come up with a winning strategy.

Comment

Well, I see that the "I don't know how to read thread titles and just exactly what does 'ONLY' mean anyway?" contingent has made its first appearance. <<g>>
                            I'm actually surprised we made it this far without it happening.

Cliff Simon, who plays Ba'al. I don't have the book in front of me, so I am paraphrasing, but the last line of his piece in the book--which mostly talks about what a positive experience it was being on the show--ends with a line that essentially says that it seems that things go so much better now that he's not there.

I read a lot of hurt feelings in that line--and despite that, he still hasn't had a bad word to say about the show, including in the rest of his written piece for the book. Now, *that's* class.

J.
                            Okay. Now it makes sense. I kept racking my brain for who Simon was and couldn't come up with a name for the life of me. But you're right. I found it very odd that they would interview him as to what it was like on S9 as opposed to S8 with RDA gone. Like he was in a position to really know.

And yes, I'm sure RDA was hurt. I'd be hurt. But he's definitely a classy guy.

And given that Amanda is the only one who seems to be sad that he's gone, is it any wonder that she's getting the short straw now, given everyone elses apparent feelings toward RDA's absence. Hmmm. I think I may have just had a "light bulb" moment here.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is what was said by RDA:

Excerpt from Stargate SG-1 The Illustrated Companion Seasons 7 and 8
                              By Thomasina Gibson

Dear T

These are stream of conscious missives, begun on impulse and ending
                              when I lose interest in hearing my own voice in my head or when I
                              get hungry. Do with them what you will….

On a day in a western state of the Untied States, inordinately cold
                              and rainy, I would set out to infuse the Internet waves with some
                              sensible sentiments about the past eight years of my life. Failure
                              to do so would be failing the request of someone who has grown to
                              become a dear friend and confidante. Thomasina Gibson has asked me
                              to contribute to her book in anyway I could. (Synonyms for ask:
                              plead, beg, threaten, harass, bargain, beat). When not working I
                              have a hard time getting out from under my rock, so I feel it is
                              terribly unfair of her to be so damned polite when actually making
                              her request. The girl is plagued with what I perceive to be
                              terminal politeness, and it is downright disarming when she arrives
                              in Vancouver , bats her sleep deprived, puppy dog eyes at me and
                              broguishly utters, ` Richard, wood yew doo thas far may, plas?' The
                              woman is ruthless. But a promise is a sign that I'll give it a
                              shot…..

`Anything' she said…..

What I really want the universe to know about the experience of
                              Stargate, from my perspective is that I never had the slightest idea
                              of what was happening. In oh, so many ways, this was a good thing.
                              Giving me too much information about anything is asking for trouble.
                              I think the writers early on sensed that things were cluttered
                              enough in my head, and took pity, sending Amanda and Shanks on those
                              technology-addled journeys of verbose which both of them handle with
                              astounding panache and creditability. If I could stay with either
                              of them to their conclusion, I would generally be so exhausted that
                              the famed `What' or `excuse me' or `Huh?' would be genuine. Bless
                              the people who can talk.

Thus O'Neill, the Dense.

One nondescript day in the southern part of California, I was
                              attacked by a debilitating need to jot some notes down, more or less
                              serving as an attempt to reflect. I had come to this moment in time
                              when all things, lofty and base, seemed even and fairly neutral.
                              Such insignificant matters as, oh say, what to do with the rest of
                              my life, suddenly loomed as fairly unimportant given that I had come
                              to some sort of agreement with my soul that whatever manifest
                              destiny, whatever the ultimate course of action and subsequent
                              result, would in fact, please me. Throwing proverbial caution to
                              the wind had historically been a credo held firm and true. Mine has
                              been a life of selfish preservation, clamouring about the globe
                              indulgently seeking no more or less than the adventure curiosity
                              affords. To be from Minnesota is to be prepared to engage people
                              with kind intentions, honest reflections, and willingness to assist
                              others in need of assistance. We are also prepared for cold
                              weather. It was twenty nine degrees below zero the day I was born;
                              my mother said, `That was just typical'.

So after eight year of regularly anticipating a re-entry into the
                              workforce after February of any given season, I sit here now
                              seriously contemplating life without Stargate. Gone is the social
                              and creative environment that has always been a cherished part of
                              any job I have held. I have relied upon `the set' to afford me the
                              comfort zone, the protected community in which I could romp and
                              play, create and collaborate, sass and support, hide and confide,
                              and indulge in the most cherished commodity of all: laughter.

Without meaning to cast a pall on the festivities, I will say that
                              time and distance tends to whittle away at relationships, and the
                              intensity of the wonderful evolution of potential seems to naturally
                              diffuse. What I sense by the nature of the friendships sown and
                              nurtured on planet Stargate is that I am understood and that which
                              has been established will endure, even with time and at a distance.

And, from what I understand, it is easier to get work done when I'm
                              not around.

And yes it's sad. Because for all that he did for people he didn't know at the beginning, to become friends and family with, it's like the estranged father/brother/uncle that you don't talk about. ETA: Anymore.
                              Last edited by LaCroix; 15 November 2005, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I believe Cliff Simon said that there was less tension in the air because of the tight schedule of RDA. (I think so it was that).
                                School is overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X