No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make a tired old mod's life easy. please don't quote off topic posts. all you do is give us more to delete
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Fandom, in a lot of ways, is all about hope. Hope that the good guys will win. Hope that the characters you like will be featured. Hope that the couple you ship for will get together. Hope that those niggling threads will be tied up.

Hope that things will get better.

When those hopes aren't realized, when you are in any way disappointed, you want to express that disappointment, commisserate with others, take solace in the knowledge that you are not alone and express hope- if possible- for the future. Just because THIS scene or THIS ep or THIS season wasn't good doesn't mean it's ALL bad. Or that it can't get better. And if it can't, well, you can still reminisce about what was and talk about the things you think should have happened and what it would take to make you enjoy the show again.

Folks who post in "anti" season threads may be disappointed, disillusioned and disheartened, but that doesn't mean they aren't still fans. They simply have a different set of standards by which they judge the show and feel that those standards are not being met.

I think most of us would also agree that those "standards" are not impossibly high and that they were, for the most part, conceived in earlier seasons. In other words, the show is failing to live up to its own standards. Or that's how I see it, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        Make a tired old mod's life easy. please don't quote off topic posts. all you do is give us more to delete
        Sorry bad mood and no Stargate to cheer me up... well that was until I watched Legacy and now Beneath the Surface is on . As long as I concentrate just on these shows then I can be happy and remember when people used to call people to watch the show not tell them that go away and not watch. Its funny to see people "happy" that others aren't watching. Its like "yeah we won a victory" yet what they won is even less fan support for the show.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
          I know. This season is/was supposed to back to team episodes. Maybe S10. But, we'll see.
          mate you need to use your own words sticking other peoples quotes in wont do much even if sheridin sent the vorlons and shadows away there was still the drakh and they menaced conciderably. here is a quote that fits well with this thread

when people cease to complain they cease to think- Napolian Bonopart
          Martha Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
            Sorry bad mood and no Stargate to cheer me up... well that was until I watched Legacy and now Beneath the Surface is on . As long as I concentrate just on these shows then I can be happy and remember when people used to call people to watch the show not tell them that go away and not watch. Its funny to see people "happy" that others aren't watching. Its like "yeah we won a victory" yet what they won is even less fan support for the show.
            good call just finished watching 'window of oportunity' again and it always brings a smile to my face
            Martha Stewart

Comment

Great point Smurf.SG-1 did fine all these Years.I will never understand the need for hiring BB and CB.Even with RDA gone IMO you bring in a Jonas or Hailey character with Sam as leader of SG-1 and more mention of the Jack character and the Season 9 ratings would not be a problem.TPTB would have even saved Money in not bring in BB and CB.

Comment

i've got no issue with ben or claudia.

it's more with HOW they are in the show not THAT they are in the show

if vala joinng the cast was a foregone conclusion from day one (and it pretty much was, at least according to rob in the most recent magazine) then, imho, they should have written her toned down to begin with. doing that would have made it easier to bring her intot he show full time rather than having to navigate a total 180 in her character that they will have to to make her fit in better

cam, poor cam needs to be written like a competant lt colonel in the us air force, not a 15 year old marty sue living out his greatest fantasy

sigpic

Comment

I have no problem with CB and BB either.I just think there was no need for drastic changes.If it's not broke don't fix it.Sometimes the smallest changes make the biggest impact.

Comment

yeah. maybe if they'd worked onmaking the new characters fit into the existing show, instead of tweaking the show to fit the new characters

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                      If it's not broke don't fix it.Sometimes the smallest changes make the biggest impact.
                      aye, i agree. however imo the show wasnt broken, but they tried to 'fix' it anyway and in doing so, they actually broke a perfectly fine show. so now the show that didnt need fixing, but was fixed, actually needs fixing due to their fix...if you get what i mean
                      - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                        Great point Smurf.SG-1 did fine all these Years.I will never understand the need for hiring BB and CB.Even with RDA gone IMO you bring in a Jonas or Hailey character with Sam as leader of SG-1 and more mention of the Jack character and the Season 9 ratings would not be a problem.TPTB would have even saved Money in not bring in BB and CB.
                        I think that Scifi made them bring in those two... Though it would have made a lot more sence to bring back Jonas since he was established. And/or Hailey as well, she's not so famous of an actress as CB and would have been a lot less pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          yeah. maybe if they'd worked onmaking the new characters fit into the existing show, instead of tweaking the show to fit the new characters
                          You are totally right. I never looked at it from that perspective. Or at least in those words. They reformated the show to fit the new characters. At least in the old days when they introduced a new Tok'ra or Jaffa they were fitting into the existing show, now it's the opposite.

Comment

This is part of a post I made on another thread but I thoguth this part fit here as well:

If TPTB integrate mitchell, make him plausible, believable, respectable and DESERVING of his position WITH SG-1, as the BIG 3 already are and have been IMO, since day one, then maybe I will be able to accept mitchell as part of the team but right now TPTB have no one but themselves to blame that he is still, after 20 episodes, the new guy and he is the guy that runs off on his own and endangers himself, and the BIG 3, unnecessarily and does not fit the bill to lead SG-1 as evidenced by the numbers in the who should lead poll. Until that changes, and until the PTB attitude as portrayed onscreen changes, Sam, Danieland Teal'c (and in some ways AT, MS and CJ) will be the BIG 3 to me.

In all honesty I do not see a team, these are not 4 people who act as a team, there is the one guy that still thinks he's SG-me and who runs off on a whim without any forethought or plan who the other 3 seem exasperated and disgusted with at times, plus 3 other people who used to work as a team but now seem to be so distant with each other it's hard to believe they saved the world, galaxy and each others butts countless times for 8 years before this. If I had not seen those 8 years for myself I would not believe that they have 8 years of history. TPTB are wasting a dynamic that was nurtured and perfected and respected for 8 years - IMO that dynamic alone could have really helped the integration of the new guy but TPTB once again failed miserably by running roughshod over that dynamic, the 3 stars and, in the process the actors who portray the BIG 3, all in attempt to dumbdown the show to cater to the lowest common denominator demographic group resorting to cheesy sci-fi cliches and caricatures, something they were able to rise above for 8 years (with a few hiccups - e.g. Anise - but they jettisoned or fixed those pretty quickly. I do not think they can fix this - it's too far gone now).

I do not mention vala because as far as I am concerned whatever changes they make to that character will be so blatant and so contrived it will be pathetic and if there are little to no changes it will still be pathetic but in a wholly different way.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                              You are totally right. I never looked at it from that perspective. Or at least in those words. They reformated the show to fit the new characters. At least in the old days when they introduced a new Tok'ra or Jaffa they were fitting into the existing show, now it's the opposite.
                              I would have agreed with this earlier in the season, however, now I see that TPTB, in their rush to have puerile fun while targeting the lowest common denominator demographic, created a caricature that does not fit the original SG-1 and it obviously does not fit the new "and improved" (that sound you hear is my gag-reflex - sorry) show because they (some of the actors, including MS and CB, as well as some of TPTB and A LOT of fans have specifically said so) have to change the character now to fit the show.

TPTB, in their arrogance thinking that fans would just accept any of the cr$p they spewed out, made huge miscalculations and at first tried to write the show around characters and it has bombed, now they have to admittedly change vala and it will be funny to watch the dismantling of that character because sooo many people claimed (including some of the most clueless PTB) to love THAT character - it will be interesting to see how many continue to love the NEW character depending on the changes made. I think that, based on the ratings and the continued fallout with mitchell TPTB will also have to change that character and that to will be fun to watch as I think that it will be another disaster and will be more contrived than vala changing.

Comment

At work we had a "team building" exercise. One of the things we had to do was write down our favorite TV show (dont ask). I said out loud, "can I be specific and put Stargate S1-8 because S9 stinks" and I have no hope for S10. 3 other people who I didnt even know watched the show nodded in agreement with one saying "you noticed that too huh".... thats in addtion to the people I know who watch the show 1 happy with it, 1 neutral, 1 disliking it like me, 2 who already stopped watching. Those other 3 guys all put BSG down as their favorite show BTW... Seems like everyone I meet is not liking the show as much... they dont openly despise it now like me but they are not overly infatuated with it and would likely switch it off for anything even remotely good. If Scifi gets any decent competition at all I think the ratings will tank. I don't think that any of the crp that was on the networks this year really counts as decent competition. I mean REAL competition, something that is actually good and of interest to scifi predisposed fans.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X