No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will not be watching S10--I have said that already but I am even more sure after watching "Crusade". In fact--I am not even going to watch the finale for this season.

It still boggles my mind that TPTB are so intent on ruining "Stargate" and like someone said--even if they had done the "new" show thing--it would have tanked.

Comment

Hey, S10 doesnt look great, but Im liking the looks of S3 of Atlantis. Oh, and we may see another crossover ep,, Zalenka should be in the Pegasus Project, but Shep and McKay are supposed to be in SG1 next year too and it doesnt say for certain that it will be in The Pegasus Project.
      So we may see much more of Vala in Atlantis, whoopeee! [/sarcasm]
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I was kind of hoping they could move Atlantis to 8 PM since they got their new leads for SG-1 and may want to make it "kweller and edddggyyeeerrrrr" or whatever... It’s hard for me to maintain enthusiasm for Atlantis when it will be situated between two shows I don't watch.

The crossovers give me even more of a headache as the characters I still like are now intermingled with characters I dislike greatly. It would be like putting the old SG-1 on BSG. Speaking of BSG when will TPTB do a crossover with them... why the hell not, it’s all a joke anyway... oh right BSG has their own TPTB and although I personally dislike the show, they at least seem to want to maintain its integrity. They know what has made their show "successfull" and intend to continue on that path.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
          I was kind of hoping they could move Atlantis to 8 PM since they got their new leads for SG-1 and may want to make it "kweller and edddggyyeeerrrrr" or whatever... It’s hard for me to maintain enthusiasm for Atlantis when it will be situated between two shows I don't watch.

The crossovers give me even more of a headache as the characters I still like are now intermingled with characters I dislike greatly. It would be like putting the old SG-1 on BSG. Speaking of BSG when will TPTB do a crossover with them... why the hell not, it’s all a joke anyway... oh right BSG has their own TPTB and although I personally dislike the show, they at least seem to want to maintain its integrity. They know what has made their show "successfull" and intend to continue on that path.

Now you know that NBC/UNI will never crossover SG-1 characters on to one of their best, brightest shows. BSG fans wouldn't go for that anyway.

Besides, if the Christian Right has seen last nights episode and has read the spoilers for next season. I think The Book of Daniel, looks like a non-issue to them. SG-1 may last only 3 episodes in the 10'th if they have any say so.

Comment

I'm a little confused reading some of the last few pages of the thread....as I understand it a few of the Atlantis characters (and the set of Atlantis) will be appearing on a S10 episode of SG-1 (The Pegasus Project) as Daniel and Vala take a trip to the Pegasus galaxy. Why Vala's along I don't know; but maybe there's a good reason.

So if you're only watching Atlantis.....and not SG-1.......you won't even see Vala on the Atlantis set interacting with the Atlantis characters. Unless you're afraid this will then lead to Vala crossing over and appearing on S3 of Atlantis? Or that she'll leave her cooties behind and Shep will become the tramp of the Pegasus galaxy? Oh wait.....that might already be happening.

Actually, I'm curious to see what they do with Vala on SG-1 in S10. I saw some signs watching Crusade last night that they might be moving Vala in the direction I was hoping for. Except for the whole superOribaby thing which sounds dreadful. And the Ori themselves whom I find ponderously dull so far. And the Merlin thing which seems pretty silly. Just to keep to the Anti S10 theme.

But Vala could end up being a bright spot in S10 for me as long as they keep the sexual innuendo to a minimum - or preferably do away with it all together. At least she doesn't bore me.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by keshou
              So if you're only watching Atlantis.....and not SG-1.......you won't even see Vala on the Atlantis set interacting with the Atlantis characters. Unless you're afraid this will then lead to Vala crossing over and appearing on S3 of Atlantis?
              Exactly. I don't want her fully crossing over into Atlantis. We already have Shep letching after every female in the galaxy, we don't need Vala to letch after all the males.

I'm also against crossovers in general. They aren't handled well, IMO, and always come off as stunts rather than valid reasons.

And can someone please explain to me when this turned into the "let's say great, positive things about the show" thread?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                would you be mad at me if i said i wanted vala to *stay* at atlantis?

i know you love and want to protect atlantis, shadow, but i want to get rid of vala! and mitchell! let them both go over to a show i don't watch! sorry, shadow

btw, your avatar... jeez, that guy is gorgeous!!! *drools*

sally
                if Vala stayed in Atlantis it would make more sense to me than if she became a memeber of SG1. Other wise the civilians on SG1 will out rank the millitary personell big time. I do believe the actress Claudia Black is a good actress and she does have something to bring to the show however the atmoshpere of Atlantis is more like what you would expect from her character than a total military base.

Comment

yeah, but i'm enjoying atlantis right now. i really don't want vala slippng in there and stealing the stage from everyone.

what they oughta do is make a spin off show, lock cam and vala up in one of the oreo toilet ships and let htem go off on thier own, beg rda to come back, hire some new writers, let cam and vala go off in scifi's mockery of farscape and let sg1 and atlantis take care of themselves.

failing that, let sg1 turn into a '4 movies a year' franchise, concentrate on making less good instead of cranking out homage after homage and tu rning the show into a mockery of itself
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    what they oughta do is make a spin off show, lock cam and vala up in one of the oreo toilet ships and let htem go off on thier own, beg rda to come back, hire some new writers, let cam and vala go off in scifi's mockery of farscape and let sg1 and atlantis take care of themselves.
                    But aside from reading the scripts they're given, what have Ben and Claudia done to deserve that?
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

they are the two actors on the show that scifi seems to care about. and, in many ways, the ONLY two actors on the show. so give em their own, let them go off on their own and let's hit the reset switch and take SG back to the 'good old days' when the writers could write more than one character at a time and when sex and juvenile humor wasn't the only thing they could handle with any skill.

It won't happen. Stargate is going to become the cam and vala show (and this is one prediction that i really hope is wrong) but given that these writers seem incapable of writing something with universal appeal anymore, i'm gonna miss my show. i'm gonna miss the 'good old days' when we could have a 'daniel' episode that didn't forget those other three mokes, or when we could have a 'sam' episode and the other three weren't wallpapered to cater to the chosen feature of the week.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have been watching the eps I chose in the "Perfect Season Tournement" and it is true that once we hit S10 those days will be gone forever, unless the Ori are wiped out in S10 episode 4 course
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I'm not too sure about anyone else, but from s10 spoilers, I'm getting a Dune feeling. We have Adria the Oracle. Substitue Adria for St. Alia of the Knife, and you have another "homage". Can't say anymore than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            Exactly. I don't want her fully crossing over into Atlantis. We already have Shep letching after every female in the galaxy, we don't need Vala to letch after all the males.
                            okay.....thought that might be it. But it seemed like some people already thought she was scheduled to appear on Atlantis from some of the comments.

Like Skydiver, I think it more likely they'll try and keep two shows going with Vala and Cam headlining some sort of reworked spinoff from SG-1. (One reason I'm going to watch S10 --as well as being curious as to what they'll do with Vala --is I figure this is the last season for the "Big3". )

Of course they could also be testing the chemistry between Vala and the Atlantis folks in this S10 episode so they can have "Vala on Atlantis" as an option as well. hehe.

Originally posted by shadow
                            I'm also against crossovers in general. They aren't handled well, IMO, and always come off as stunts rather than valid reasons.
                            I'll agree with you there although I think Daniel going to Atlantis for a visit is somewhat fitting. Otherwise I hope they keep the crossovers to a minimum.

Originally posted by shadow
                            And can someone please explain to me when this turned into the "let's say great, positive things about the show" thread?
                            Did I say that? I just didn't understand all the angst over Vala being on Atlantis when - at least at this point - she's not scheduled to appear on that show.

I don't read the thread or contribute regularly as I fall into the "ambivalent" category more than the "anti" category. But when I'm in the mood it's fun to come check it out. And usually there are a few good critical comments mixed in. I think the anti thread is probably a good place for people to come vent once in awhile so I'm glad it exists. Don't always understand some of the deep passionate feelings over certain issues but that's just me being "ambivalent".

Originally posted by LaCroix
                            I'm not too sure about anyone else, but from s10 spoilers, I'm getting a Dune feeling. We have Adria the Oracle. Substitue Adria for St. Alia of the Knife, and you have another "homage". Can't say anymore than that.
                            Eep....the names are even similar. Yep, sadly that's one of my concerns for S10. I've rarely seen a show handle the "child oracle" or "super child" thing well. With the exception of BSG where the Cylon child is only one plot point of many and it hasn't overwhelmed the show.....yet.
                            Last edited by keshou; 05 March 2006, 08:12 AM.
                            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer
                              if Vala stayed in Atlantis it would make more sense to me than if she became a memeber of SG1.
                              Two words for you: Duplicating machine.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Dang, Skydiver - don't suppose there's a way we can get sneak you into a job on Sci-Fi's executive board, is there?

Well, we can dream.

But aside from reading the scripts they're given, what have Ben and Claudia done to deserve that?
                                Oh, and Mr. Prophet - I agree that BB and CB haven't done anything more than what's been expected of them by TPTB and that they've done it well. However, that doesn't stop both characters being annoying or spoiling the show for certain fans nor does it stop those fans from wishing they could be 'disappeared' in some way. I didn't see Skydiver mention the actors at all. Her comments were directed against the characters. There's a slight difference.

Albion
                                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X