No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no point, they are doing it because Daniel is the only character that she can interact with and since they dont want her to miss an episode so early on in her "Regular" run they have put her in, more than likely to play a part similar to that of the scenery, but she's alway that bit of eye-candy to bring in the ratings.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
      There is no point, they are doing it because Daniel is the only character that she can interact with and since they dont want her to miss an episode so early on in her "Regular" run they have put her in, more than likely to play a part similar to that of the scenery, but she's alway that bit of eye-candy to bring in the ratings.
      I just had a horrible thought - Do you think that TBTP think the ratings went down because of Vala's absence? I think people stopped watching because of Vala and the associated crap plot lines and, of course, Mitchell. So Vala comes back and all in well in Neilsonville.
      sigpic
      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
        I just had a horrible thought - Do you think that TBTP think the ratings went down because of Vala's absence? I think people stopped watching because of Vala and the associated crap plot lines and, of course, Mitchell. So Vala comes back and all in well in Neilsonville.
        Oh god I hope not

Just like toadd, another day another anti anti thread, how could we manage without them?
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

i thnk that those that support vala's presence will interpret the ratings that way since it supports their point of view and furthers their agenda
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yume
            Sorry, but for me is this everything but not reassuring. I had so hoped that the crap that happens on SG 1 will have no real influence on Atlantis. But reading this spoilers kills even this little hope. Vala on Atlantis...please NO!
            I have no intention to watch this episode but I think it´s almost sure that this will be a kind of two parter which will continues with an Atlantis episode.

Maybe I´m paranoid but I could almost believe that TPTB make already plans how they can bring her beloved Vala to Atlantis for the case that SG 1 get cancelled after season 10.

But maybe is there still hope: Weir could think she is a very small Wraith and than bye, bye Vala

...hope dies last.
            That's a completely sound suggestion in my book. Unfortunately.

Vala could be so much more than they've made her in the past, though. This Friday will kinda let us know if they've learned from their mistakes or not.

I still have hope, but not much. And I don't wanna blame everything on Vala, just yet. Cameron's purpose is still wholly unclear.

Poor Atlantis, that's all I have to say. There are only two characters who are secure on that show, and that's Sheppard and McKay.
            Spoiler:
            And POSSIBLY Weir, if spoilers are completely accurate... It'll be interesting to see how she responds to Vala's antics.

Comment

Undoubtedly some people will see it that way. And undoubtedly there are some who will only watch eps with Vala in them and ignore everything else. And yet those same "fans" will viciously rip into anyone who complains about Vala and make accusations of "you aren't a REAL fan" when they themselves aren't even watching a majority of the show.

Sorry, I'm wandering off again.

The more I hear about S10, the happier I am that I'm not watching.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                The more I hear about S10, the happier I am that I'm not watching.
                You're not gonna watch it at all?!

... Well, I guess I can't say that I blame you.

Comment

Well, I haven't watched season 9, why would I watch 10? It's only gonna get worse.

As for the inevitable, "What the hell are you still doing posting here?" question that certain lurky b******s are sure to ask, beyond the fact that I'm still a fan of the EARLIER seasons and that I hate to see something good wasted, there's also Atlantis (while it lasts). And BSG. And Doctor Who. GW isn't JUST about Stargate anymore, so I have ample reasons to stay on. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                    You're not gonna watch it at all?!

... Well, I guess I can't say that I blame you.
                    I don't think I will be watching either. Which causes a problem for me as I still want to watch Atlantis and I don't watch BSG so it is very inconvieniently positioned for me. I guess I can assume TPTB will just ruin Atlantis too and just skip having to watch its slow painful death and just skip friday altogether.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I'll watch Atlantis eps featuring Lorne. But as for SG-1... I'm sorry, but even treating it as a "new series" doesn't work for me. I'd expect just as much quality from a new series as I would for a continuing one and it just isn't there anymore.

Comment

Let me get this straight; in order to properly integrate Vala into the show they've decided to carefully pair her with Daniel, and then Daniel.

Oh team, where for art thou team?

Comment

Ok. While seeing a thread in the Science and Tech section 302 V StarFury, I went looking for a pic of the WhiteStars that B5 used in s4 and s5. Trying to get a point/counterpoint with all three, when I came across this in episode thread:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/057.html

Or should I post this in the Parallels to Babylon 5 thread?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            Yume, what a horrifying idea. Vala as a permanent fixture in Atlantis? *vomits*

I much prefer the idea of booting her off to BSG and making her a cylon. She can get killed off repeatedly while SG-1 and Atlantis both gain IQ points just from her absence.

Of course, knowing TPTB, they'd just find other, more horrible ways to make the shows stupid, and I'm a bit frightened to imagine what they could create that would be WORSE than Vala, but still. At least we'd be rid of Vala and maybe Claudia would have a chance to do something intelligent for a change.
                            Who knows maybe you get your wish sooner or later.

I can already see the scene. Ron Moore having a meeting with the SciFi bosses. (Satire warning):
                            "Look Mr. Moore we are not completly against the idea to give your show another season but..." Ron Moore: "But?"
                            "Please understand your show needs some retooling, it´s a bit too dark and not aahm... sexy enough for our audience" Ron Moore "Not sexy enough...are you sure???"
                            "See...what we would like is some change and now, we have here two great actors with much experience in the Science Fiction bussiness, which could make the change we wish for your show, happen...it´s of course unavoidable to write out some of your old characters two make place for the new additions...we think it´s would be time to get rid of the Apollo and Kara roles, we are sure that your show would doing very well without them. And
                            maybe it´s time to replace this boring Adama character, too. We have here a really wonderfull Dominar Rygal puppet you could use."
                            Ron Moore: feral growling

I wouldn´t be surprised that in the case that "Fargate SG 1" and "Fargate: Atlantis" failling the next show on Scifi´s list would be "Battlescape Galactica".
                            Someone from Scifi seems so in love with this show that he (or she) would destroy the channel before he let´s go his dream to recreate Farscape.
                            Last edited by Yume; 01 March 2006, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yume
                              I wouldn´t be surprised that in the case that "Fargate SG 1" and "Fargate: Atlantis" failling the next show on Scifi´s list would be "Battlescape Galactica".
                              Someone from Scifi seems so in love with this show that he (or she) would destroy the channel before he let´s go his dream to recreate Farscape.
                              Which is ironic, considering how they killed it and all. Of course, the sad thing is that they probably felt the sub-par fourth season was the acme of Farscape.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

The problem with Stargate now is the same problem (IMO) that plagued Farscape in its last season: sensationalism and "shock value" are subbed in for plot and character development. Things don't happen because they're logical to the plot- in fact, most of the time they're completely illogical- things happen because it's "cool" or "controversial" or because TPTB are fulfilling their pathetic fanboy wet dreams. Same thing for the characters; they do things which are COMPLETELY against everything they've stood for simply because it's more exciting or because it moves the story from point A to point B.

Intelligence went out the window a long time ago. So did believeability. And continuity. It's a random hash of useless crap, now. My opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X