No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least one new series debuted last Friday, maybe two. One was the Book of Daniel. The other was In Justice. Book of Daniel got a lot of press for being controversial and it stars Aidan Quinn. That's why the ratings for all three shows went down. Scifi would be aware of this, and I'm sure they were not counting on the ratings to be as high against original network programming as it would be against summer reruns.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
      At least one new series debuted last Friday, maybe two. One was the Book of Daniel. The other was In Justice. Book of Daniel got a lot of press for being controversial and it stars Aidan Quinn. That's why the ratings for all three shows went down. Scifi would be aware of this, and I'm sure they were not counting on the ratings to be as high against original network programming as it would be against summer reruns.

The only problem with what you are saying is that SG-1 has done better in ratings in the second half than in the first half in Seasons 7 and 8 (maybe season 6 too). So this is very unusual for SG-1 to do a little worse in the second half. Last year, for example, episodes 11 and 12 got a 2.0 and 2.1. (in the same 8:00 time slot). And continued to get 2.1's and better most of the time. But it is true that this rating drop will only be a problem if it continues.

Comment

network tv does have an effect on the ratings. adn february will be another slump for htem since there are 3 fridays of the olympics to watch

ratings can literally be twisted and warped to say whatever you want them to say
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
          The only problem with what you are saying is that SG-1 has done better in ratings in the second half than in the first half in Seasons 7 and 8 (maybe season 6 too). So this is very unusual for SG-1 to do a little worse in the second half. Last year, for example, episodes 11 and 12 got a 2.0 and 2.1. (in the same 8:00 time slot). And continued to get 2.1's and better most of the time. But it is true that this rating drop will only be a problem if it continues.
          I just didn't want people blaming SG-1 for the ratings drop. When it's all three shows dropping like that, then the problem has nothing to do with the content of one particualr show. It has to do with outside factors, like new programming on the major networks. Now, if SG-1 had dropped and the others had remained the same, then people could proclaim doom and gloom and say that SG-1's direction was all wrong and viewers hated the episode. But when it's all three, then the reason for the drop is something else.

I just wish the GW writers would be more thorough in their articles rather than turning into Chicken Little every time there's a dip.

BTW, I think the issue with programming on other networks was particularly problematic last Friday was because two new series debuted, as opposed to just having a new ep on. It'll be interesting to see what happens this Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            network tv does have an effect on the ratings. adn february will be another slump for htem since there are 3 fridays of the olympics to watch

ratings can literally be twisted and warped to say whatever you want them to say
            This is an olympic year?!?! Man, ever since they switched to the two year format I have been all out of the loop.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

every even year. which this is. starting feb 10, nbc will be all olympics all the time (or a good chunk of it)
              and with the opening ceremony feb 10, you can be sure that ratings on everything else will be down
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                I just didn't want people blaming SG-1 for the ratings drop. When it's all three shows dropping like that, then the problem has nothing to do with the content of one particualr show. It has to do with outside factors, like new programming on the major networks. Now, if SG-1 had dropped and the others had remained the same, then people could proclaim doom and gloom and say that SG-1's direction was all wrong and viewers hated the episode. But when it's all three, then the reason for the drop is something else.

I just wish the GW writers would be more thorough in their articles rather than turning into Chicken Little every time there's a dip.

BTW, I think the issue with programming on other networks was particularly problematic last Friday was because two new series debuted, as opposed to just having a new ep on. It'll be interesting to see what happens this Friday.

Good points. I'm just saying that the competition with the new network shows was also true for second half of season 8. Olympics, however, will definitely be a unique situation for season 9 when this airs. Like everyone is saying---this drop for SG-1 and Atlantis will only be a problem if it continues for a number of weeks. I don't see that happening, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                  I actually thought it was because the moon was full . . . sheesh.

Comment

If someone was still a Fan of SG-1 and liked Season 9 then I would think they would tune in every Week no matter if the Networks are airing a new Show or the Olympics are on.I stopped watching the Show this Season after Forth Horseman.It had nothing to do with new Shows on the Network.I'am sure there were people who wanted to watch the Networks but I'am sure the Show lost alot of viewers this Year as well.

Comment

Most viewers on TV shows are casual viewers. I don't know the figure, but read any post by MediaSavant and she'll explain it. Basically, the die-hard viewers like those who come online to Gateworld, are a small percentage of the audience. The ratings live and die with the casual viewers, those who only watch *some* of the episodes. Casual viewers could like what they see in Season 9, but because they only catch the show sometimes, they can get pulled away for other TV shows or events. Then switch back the following week and still enjoy the show.

Comment

Thanks for the info.It still seems like a big drop from last Year to this Year.The ratings never seemed to be a problem until this Year.I think the Show has taken a big hit in the Long time Fans leaving the Show.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                          Thanks for the info.It still seems like a big drop from last Year to this Year.The ratings never seemed to be a problem until this Year.I think the Show has taken a big hit in the Long time Fans leaving the Show.
                          Well then both BSG and SGA took the same hit from their longtime fans if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                            I think they tried to stay away from that because then the character would have been too much like Jonas. Though if they had gone with that route I doubt many people would have seen it like that. When ever I see Mitchell I always think of that poor Russian guythat was the best that country had to offer get put down by O'Neill for not having enough off world experience to be put on the Flag team.
                            hey, i was just talking about that character today in joe's blog!

Colonel Alexi Vaselov, from s8's 'lockdown'. i thought he was a great character and was very heroic. and serious. and fit into sg1 well (would have anyway).

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Im just saying this but is it just me or is season 10 feel like its going into a farscape show? now there will be 2 characters from that show. u know they may even have vala and mitchell start a realationship and get married- totally copying arien/crition-> mispelled! realationship.
                              sigpic
                              Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Originally posted by GateTrek
                                Im just saying this but is it just me or is season 10 feel like its going into a farscape show? now there will be 2 characters from that show. u know they may even have vala and mitchell start a realationship and get married- totally copying arien/crition-> mispelled! realationship.
                                There are a number of people that feel it is going farscapy and have even made up names like Starscape or FarGate for the show. Others think it is not as good as it once was but dont see it being to much like farscape other then the two characters (but I think we are taking bets on if they will ship Vala with Mitchell ). Still others kinda like the show and others love the show. And there are some that are only watching it because their favorite farscape actors are on it and otherwise don't have much use for the show (but I suspect that is a very small minority).

Originally posted by ses110
                                Is it just me or did anyone else find the following statment interesting..

The show did remain steady among viewers aged 25 to 54, a key demographic for The SCI FI Channel.

Because I think this is the demographic they are running the most risk of losing with the "new" show. The new show appears geared torwards males in the what 18-25 (14-25 seems more like it). Again it looks like (to me) that they have a demographic they do good in and have long time fans in and they are thumbing their nose at it hoping to get another demographic which is really just not that interested in the show, and wont be no matter how much they mess with its formula.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X