S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoenixblue7500

I´m a BIG Daniel fan and I´m sharing many of the concerns with the other people on this thread. And the last thing I want is more of the "Daniel/Vala comedy hour".
    would you share why you're apprehensive of the daniel/vala thing? this is a real question, posed to a daniel fan.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
      Here's a place for all of those that think Season 10 of SG-1 is a horrible idea, to express why they feel there is no hope for the show to go on.

(And I would like Skydiver for giving me the greenlight to start this thread)

otally agrei think it would have been nice to have ended it with 8 because to me RDA was half the show, and the orii arent really fun like the gould were
      My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        the 'problem' is, telling is easier. take cam for example. what would be easier - read cheaper - show us him doing things, show us some leadership abiilties, show us what makes him qualified to run sg1...or type up some dialogue and tell us and expect us to just believe it

take 4th horsemen 2 for example. we were told about all the casualites. told how bad it was, told how horrible things were getting...but were we ever shown it?

did we see airports getting shut down? did we see body bags? did we see any real quarantine procedures going on? no (such as inviting international guests into a contaminated facility????) we were told and if you missed that line of dialogue you have no idea how bad things were. it's just words and numbers, which lack an emotional punch

as such i as a viewer never felt that sense of urgency and immediacy that i was supposed to feel. i felt no drama, no tension...all i was doing was watching folks going from point 1 to point b in the time allotted

this conversation reminds me of when i first got into writing fanfiction. i think it was my second fic that i tried to do something that i knew was lacking in my writing. i took a simple enough scene and embellished it with time and detail. (well, i tried ). i felt it was a success, because i felt it took the reader into the scene and character more deeply. it was a learning experience. and this is what i feel is missing from stargate now.

the only scene i really connected with in 'the fourth horseman' was
        Spoiler:
        sam visiting orlin in the home at the end. it was a simple scene, but certain time was given to make this scene be 'felt' more by the viewers.

that's what i want back with this show. time and detail (and texture and depth).

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          would you share why you're apprehensive of the daniel/vala thing? this is a real question, posed to a daniel fan.
          sally
          Can I give MY own answer, too? I'm a big Daniel fan as well.

IMO their relationship as written up until now does indeed read as the Daniel/Vala Comedy Hour, as phoenixblue7500 said. The juvenile banter, Daniel's ridiculously oafish second takes, Vala's outrageous, innane behavior, it's like an old Hope/Crosby movie minus the funny. It makes Daniel look clownish and stupid, which is not how I like to see a guy with a bunch of PhDs who used to be the heart of the team for eight years acting. It doesn't even seem like the same character anymore. And poor Vala, given nothing to do but crack bad jokes and strut around in fishnets, simply looks like a cartoon. Playing against her on her level reduces him to a cartoon as well.

I SO wanted to see another player in the Stargate universe who added something new and exciting. Instead we get Stargate Vixen and her dopey playmate Dan. I REALLY dislike Daniel being perpetually played for the fool.

I wish they had played out the "is she a bad guy or not?" bit longer. Given Vala some real depth. So that when she "turned" there would be some more meaning to it. I SO wanted to care about Vala because I like CB the actress. But so far I have not warmed to Vala at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
            snipped

My husband thinks I'm obsessed too - he maybe right. But mentioning this (or complaining about it) to his coworkers I found out that more than half the Comp. Sci. and Math Dept. of the college were avid fans as well, the Chairman the worst of the lot. I'm going to take a poll of the fans - if they like Season 9 and are looking forward to 10. The only feed back I've gotten so far was 'No O'Neill - are they crazy!!'
            That's an interesting idea---would you be willing to share the results? Are you going to ask those who don't like Season 9 why they don't? I know why posters on this thread are unhappy, but I'd love to hear why from a different sector of fans..... Just a thought.

Comment

Hey, ok so we had a decent Mitchell episode... but one thing is bothering me... well it was bothering me last week too but I didnt catch the Atlantis Credits so it didnt bother me quite as much... well actually it did, but anyway I digress.

Atlantis does their credits correctly. They have a bunch of generic stuff including the city then they go to Joe Flannigan and then next person, next person, next person.

So why the helck is Stargate doing all BB all the time before his first picture and then AT, CJ, MS..... I mean seriously, are they TRYING to annoy people? All they have to do is make the stuff before the BB line all generic Stargate SG-1 stuff and people can be happy. Instead many people are resentful, and it seems so unnecessary. See, its the little things, its like being nibbled to death by cats (i love B5).

EDIT: to fix misquote
              Last edited by AGateFan; 14 January 2006, 08:42 AM.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                Atlantis does their credits correctly. They have a bunch of generic stuff including the city then they go to Joe Flannigan and then next person, next person, next person.

So why the helck is Stargate doing all BB all the time before his first picture and then AT, CJ, MS..... I mean seriously, are they TRYING to annoy people? All they have to do is make the stuff before the BB line all generic Stargate SG-1 stuff and people can be happy. Instead many people are resentful, and it seems so unnecessary.
                I think it must be contractual.

You know, it took me a loooong time to accept that BB was the new "star" of the show. Back when he was announced I just couldn't wrap my head around the concept that SCiFi saw him as the new lead. No, I wasn't upset that RDA was leaving, I just figured the new casting lineup differently. SciFi and I just disagree. (I figured AT, CJ, BB, Beau and MS)

The promos really pounded it into me, though. And once I realized that that's how they view him, a lot of their other decisions started making sense. Not that I agree with them, however...

Comment

Anyone notice the CG shots of the city were all almost identical, and REALLY poorly done? The CG stargate in the opening credits is poorly done as well.
                  "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
                    Anyone notice the CG shots of the city were all almost identical, and REALLY poorly done? The CG stargate in the opening credits is poorly done as well.
                    Did look a bit rushed, espeically compared to the really cool slow rolling micro close-up of the gate we used to get on SG-1.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

most of thier city cgi shots are in the 'ok' category. course, it's rare that we see them 6 times in the eps, which gives us time to notice all the little issues

ooh, speaking of cgi shots, anyone have thier dvd for Atlantis? check out the beginning of childhood's end, when the jumper flies over the lake and there's a reflection in the water.

the reflection isn't really a reflection,it's a clone of the jumper. we don't see its bottom but its' top, which isn't possible for a reflection

i need to see if the freeze i made is small enough to upload
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixblue7500

And the last thing I want is more of the "Daniel/Vala comedy hour".
                        I don´t know in which direction season 10 will go but as more spoilers I read as more nervous I am. That is clearly NOT the Stargate SG 1 I´m once fall in love with.
                        I'm a big Claudia Black fan (I think she's awesome, actually) and I don't really want more Vala/Daniel stuff of the nature of season 9. Black's very talented; I'm not sure the role is up to snuff for her, to be honest. It'll be "interesting" to see how they change and write Vala because I have to say it's gonna take a lot of fancy dancing, writing-wise, to change the character into something more well rounded. They just didn't give enough foreshadowng into what she might really be all about to change her completely.

Comment

You know, it took me a loooong time to accept that BB was the new "star" of the show. Back when he was announced I just couldn't wrap my head around the concept that SCiFi saw him as the new lead. No, I wasn't upset that RDA was leaving, I just figured the new casting lineup differently. SciFi and I just disagree. (I figured AT, CJ, BB, Beau and MS)
                          I was the same way. When they announced BB, it never for one moment occurred to me that they would feel they needed a new leading man, a new star. I wrongly assumed that BB would be brought in the same vein as Jonas was. Part of the team. (Well, as much part of the team as TPTB could be bothered to make him - which imo they were never very successful at) Not the character/actor around whom the entire show was built. I figured that after eight years, the show had a set of good, solid characters in the remainder of SG1, bolstered by a strong ensemble cast around them, that a leading man wasn't really necessary.

So it came as something of a shock when I realised BB was going to be the focus of the show. That was when my first twinges of misgivings began and....well the rest is history.

You know, I'm finding it kind of sad that this thread, where I can moan and ***** about all the show has lost for me, is the only thread I really get the urge to post in these days...

Albion
                          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                            I was the same way. When they announced BB, it never for one moment occurred to me that they would feel they needed a new leading man, a new star. I wrongly assumed that BB would be brought in the same vein as Jonas was. Part of the team. (Well, as much part of the team as TPTB could be bothered to make him - which imo they were never very successful at) Not the character/actor around whom the entire show was built. I figured that after eight years, the show had a set of good, solid characters in the remainder of SG1, bolstered by a strong ensemble cast around them, that a leading man wasn't really necessary.

So it came as something of a shock when I realised BB was going to be the focus of the show. That was when my first twinges of misgivings began and....well the rest is history.

You know, I'm finding it kind of sad that this thread, where I can moan and ***** about all the show has lost for me, is the only thread I really get the urge to post in these days...

Albion
                            Hey, we're fun people, I dont care what anyone says.

And yeah the BB thing leaves one scratching ones head. Despite what his fans think (and this is not a slam on him or them) he is not really that big a star. The only thing I have ever seen him in besides the occasional lifetime movie (which all stargate people are in) is Farscape. Hes a good actor just not a Harrison Ford or anything. To me MS, AT and CJ are just as good and just as big. As far as I can tell BB is no more "established" a scifi star as any of the rest of them. I heard they wanted to bring him in slow so as not to upset people, but how about you just bring him in as part of the TEAM and I think you would upset less people.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                              I think it must be contractual.

The promos really pounded it into me, though. And once I realized that that's how they view him, a lot of their other decisions started making sense. Not that I agree with them, however...
                              Just curious. What other decisions are you thinking about?

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                Hey, ok so we had a decent Mitchell episode... but one thing is bothering me... well it was bothering me last week too but I didnt catch the Atlantis Credits so it didnt bother me quite as much... well actually it did, but anyway I digress.

So why the helck is Stargate doing all BB all the time before his first picture and then AT, CJ, MS..... I mean seriously, are they TRYING to annoy people? All they have to do is make the stuff before the BB line all generic Stargate SG-1 stuff and people can be happy. Instead many people are resentful, and it seems so unnecessary. See, its the little things, its like being nibbled to death by cats (i love B5).
                                I'm guessing you quoted me by mistake, but I definitely agree with you about the credits....and being nibbled to death by cats....

Comment

Working...
                                X