S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
    I'm down with that. You gotta admit that with AT out, RDA gone, no more Hammond, Frasier or Jacob/Selmak + BB and CB, Lam and Landry is a lot of change to deal with. No doubt it was a rough ride the first half of the season. I don't know that I'll ever understand, however, why they chose to be so Valacentric (when CB was 'pinch hitting for AT') rather than flesh out new more 'durable' characters like BB Lam and Landry. I mean, at least BB is supposed to be a new lead and Landry is the darn base commander but instead they focus on Vala's bustier and mouth of equal or greater size. Sorry, I'm not bitter.

Well, tonight's the night - how's everyone feeling? I have a hot date tonight so I won't see it and won't come on until I do because I don't want to be spoiled. Maybe one of you could PM me after you've seen it and at least tell me if I should wear my cringing outfit or my sit back and watch a good show outfit...
    Well there will be no vala so I expect this to be an OK ep.... I expect....I am expecting the next 8 eps to be ok until the season finallys where the show takes the strange turn into the land of Xena Warrior Princess....

Hopefully my expectations will not be curshed.... probably they will an I will simply stop watching before the Xena finally.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
      Well, tonight's the night - how's everyone feeling? I have a hot date tonight so I won't see it and won't come on until I do because I don't want to be spoiled. Maybe one of you could PM me after you've seen it and at least tell me if I should wear my cringing outfit or my sit back and watch a good show outfit...

Hmm. I'm feeling anxious, in both a good and a bad way. Typically the second half of the season has always been better since S7, and given that for the most part I enjoyed Prototype and 4th Horseman 1, it's possible that it could be quite enjoyable. However, given how it started out and the attitude of TPTB as well as the undercurrents I'm picking up from the interviews, it could be a disaster. I'll know at 9:00 tonight.
      sigpic

Comment

I need to change my vote now to depressed. As I just stated in the season 9 thread I got the following inside* information about the second half of the season:

I just sent the following IM to one of my Stargate friends:
        "not that it matters as much as it once did, but the second half season premiers of Stargate and Atlantis are on tonight"

And I got the following reply:
        "yep, Dave is on eps 16 of Atlantis and says it is bad"....

*inside as in Dave as seen the eps via creative computer use. Last year he was like, "wow, wait until the second half of the season, you will love it".... now this year he says its bad.... so there you go.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Your kidding--season 10? Yep--have been out of the loop for awhile and so have been reading this thread--catcing up.
          I can not even wrap my mind around a season 10 but no matter because it will be less Stagate than season 9 is.

I liked the theorys on the ratings--either it is FS fans replacing SG fans etc... as I have always felt this is no more than away to bring back CB and Ben. TPTB have never seemed to me to treat their actors all that well IE: Nemic, the first Dr. Weir and so on.

As most have said--it is about money--the main actors cost more. Out of work Farscape and Andromada stars will cost less (for now).

The fact that even now AT does not know where exactly she will be--is sad. I think even MS knows he is being pushed out and I have no clue what CJ is going on about as he is doing less than ever.

No matter what--the current show stinks--it simply is not good. Stargate ended with season 8. (that is also where my collection ends)
          I know AT really doesnt want to go to Alantis but hey--they way SG is going she may well do better there as they seem to have a better team dynamic.

Or better yet--maybe AT,MS and CJ could get control and go out in style.

As for season 10--I doubt it will surpass the first 10 episodes before being cancelled.
          I dont know why they simply did not just bring back Farscape--yes I do--i know--they hope to trade off on both shows and this mix and match crud they now have is suppose to bring in the spoils. They do think we are stupid.

I listened to AT interview--she use to read the forums but admits to being hurt when she reads the anti-sam/AT threads--as she says "I am human".

I predict the ratings for the second half of season 9 will tank as even the farscape fans have to wait a tad bit longer to get what they want.
          Just my opinion......................

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk

I predict the ratings for the second half of season 9 will tank as even the farscape fans have to wait a tad bit longer to get what they want.
            Just my opinion......................
            Many of the FS fans I know don't like SG1 and aren't watching it even with Browder and Black so I doubt that evil plan, to exchange FS fans for SG1 fans, will work. SG1 has always had a bigger fan base so even if you went person for person, you'd still lose more viewers than you'd gain. It's a bad plan.

Believe it or not, many of those FS fans think B/B deserve "better".

As a FS fan, I'd rather see Firefly, which is much more in the "spirit" of FS, or Battlestar Galactica, which is just a damned good show. SG1 is so far from FS, Browder and Black or not, that it makes me laugh when I read how SG1 is turning into FS.

You're right, though; SG1 is not a very entertaining show. It was painfully boring the other night. To quote Mitchell (Browder's new character) "blah, blah, blah". I do like the Vala character because at least she's funny.

Fear not, you may get your cancellation wish.

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
              But, so do SG1 fans! I know I wanted BB and CB to come into a well-written, thoughtful, entertaining and well-produced show where they would be given interesting, complex roles to play and in which to flex their acting muscles. Unfortunately, I think they have not received this.

I have stated time and again that IMO Ben was given nothing to work with, and that his role has never been fleshed out , nor written very well. And I think that Claudia has been given a cartoon to play. Although not being a FS fan, I watched Peacekeeper Wars to get a feel for the actors, and had HIGH hopes for what they would bring to SG1. THEY came, it is the writing and production that have failed both of them miserably.

I don't think that anyone in either the Anti-S9 or Anti-S10 thread is disappointed in either BB or CB as actors. We are all quite sad that they haven't been given material that will let their talents shine. And we are even more sad to see the other characters whom we have enjoyed watching for so many years be reduced to cardboard cutouts of themselves. The level of quality that existed in S1-S7 is completely missing, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat

I don't think that anyone in either the Anti-S9 or Anti-S10 thread is disappointed in either BB or CB as actors. We are all quite sad that they haven't been given material that will let their talents shine. And we are even more sad to see the other characters whom we have enjoyed watching for so many years be reduced to cardboard cutouts of themselves.
                Too bad they couldn't bring in some of the FS writers, if drawing in FS fans was the goal. One of the reasons I stuck with FS for Browder and Black was that I was riveted by the characters. Peacekeeper Wars wasn't even their best effort--that was an attempt to bring closure to a rather complicated, 88 episode show, in 4 short hours (originally an 8 hr piece that had to be cut down to 4).

It's not just FS It's Firefly, it's Battlestar Galactica. Give these characters some real issues and emotions and motivations and complications. Writing is more than just standing around expositing from one person to the next. I mean, I almost laughed when we just heard an explanation from one person and the very next scene is another person explaining that to yet a 3rd person. Oy vey. I'm not stupid. I usually get it the first time and, if I don't, well shame on me.

The other actors are good too (I thought AT did a great job in her scenes with an actor who was clearly overmatched). Beau Bridges has always rocked, and still does. When are we going to get under the skins of these people, especially the new characters?

Comment

I'm tempted to feel sorry for Claudia and Ben. Particularly Claudia, since she's being made to prance around in skimpy outfits and say lewd things and isn't really being used for much else other than her body. And Ben's in just as bad a position, since it seems as if he was only hired for his name and now it seems that most of the time he's being told to sit in the corner and shut up.

I may not like what the show has become and I may resent the reasons why Ben and Claudia were hired (or why I think they were hired) but that doesn't mean I hate the actors. I've liked Claudia in the few other things I've seen her in and Ben... *ahem* I have this unfortunate tendency to fail to recognize him, but I love what I read in the interviews. He's a smart cookie and it's a shame he isn't on a show that's more inclined to utilize him and all his talents. Ditto CB. They deserve better than this.

Comment

Many of the FS fans I know don't like SG1 and aren't watching it even with Browder and Black so I doubt that evil plan, to exchange FS fans for SG1 fans, will work. SG1 has always had a bigger fan base so even if you went person for person, you'd still lose more viewers than you'd gain. It's a bad plan.

As a FS fan, I'd rather see Firefly, which is much more in the "spirit" of FS, or Battlestar Galactica, which is just a damned good show. SG1 is so far from FS, Browder and Black or not, that it makes me laugh when I read how SG1 is turning into FS.

You're right, though; SG1 is not a very entertaining show. It was painfully boring the other night. To quote Mitchell (Browder's new character) "blah, blah, blah". I do like the Vala character because at least she's funny.

Fear not, you may get your cancellation wish.
                    Wow for a minute there my Stargate defense mechanism was turned on as I always thought Stargate was supierior to Farscape. But then I realized you were right and that I had no reason to be defensive. If you go on what the show is now and compare THAT to Farscape I would say Farscape has to win by a mile. Course I am sure we will disagree about earlier season of both shows so lets agree to not go there.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                      Wow for a minute there my Stargate defense mechanism was turned on as I always thought Stargate was supierior to Farscape. But then I realized you were right and that I had no reason to be defensive. If you go on what the show is now and compare THAT to Farscape I would say Farscape has to win by a mile. Course I am sure we will disagree about earlier season of both shows so lets agree to not go there.
                      Well, I admit, my heart lies with FS and the SG1 type show is not my cup of tea. However, I remember watching one episode that made me cry my eyes out,the one with Jack's "son" coming back, which I think is early season one. "Wndow of Opportunity" cracked me up. There was a David Kemper penned episode towards the end of season 1 where Daniel is somehow in an alternate reality and no one believes him or knows who he is, that was pretty good. David Kemper was the executive producer of Farscape and alternate realities are a favorite of his.

But we can overall agree to disagree. I definitely understand the broad based appeal of SG1; it's just not for me. The wonderful thing about television is that there's something to appeal to everyone. Even people like me who like their sci fi peppered with hot people in leather, and puppets (who also sometimes appear in leather--not a good look!)

Comment

But we can overall agree to disagree. I definitely understand the broad based appeal of SG1; it's just not for me. The wonderful thing about television is that there's something to appeal to everyone. Even people like me who like their sci fi peppered with hot people in leather, and puppets (who also sometimes appear in leather--not a good look!)
                        Gosh, this is exactly what I love about GW. Look at all of us...agreeing to disagree and yet still discussing our likes and dislikes and hopes and disappointments in SG1 in a civilized and friendly manner. Each learning something about the other. Each respecting the other. Damn, life is good.

I spent most of last evening in a thread where its was suggested that folks who post in ant-threads were neither true fans, nor should they even be allowed to express their negative views at GW. Then I read thoughtful and interesting posts like the ones above and have to laugh at the folks who want to silence negativity in general. This thread is in fact a place where many views are welcomed and no one gets bashed for using their brains and forming their own opinions. There are as many different fervent beliefs of what is screwy with the show in here as there are stars in the sky, and yet we stilll manage to chat about the ones we disagree with no fisticuffs or threat of nuclear war. LOL

Comment

Well, to be fair, the mad ravings of a lone nut shouldn't be taken seriously in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. We can get along, even if we don't agree... and even if we disagree in the reasons we disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                            Gosh, this is exactly what I love about GW. Look at all of us...agreeing to disagree and yet still discussing our likes and dislikes and hopes and disappointments in SG1 in a civilized and friendly manner. Each learning something about the other. Each respecting the other. Damn, life is good.
                            I have to say, I've been hesitant about this thread because it's been so nasty towards FS, likely from people who've never seen the show. They were so irritating that I wanted to sink to as a similarly insulting level.

These last few exchanges though have been grown up and civilized, which is nice. Thank you for reminding me to behave!

As for negative towards the show post-ers not being true fans. Only true fans would bother to write about what's bothering them about their favorite show. Heck, I love Farscape but I dislike some episodes , some character actions intensely and don't even care much for the last season (even though I own the DVDs).

Comment

Question:

Does anyone think that TPTB have written themselves in a bit of a corner with the Sodan cloaking device? I mean if we now have a personal cloak I would think we would incorporate it into our arsenal. Or will they just drop it into a plothole?

I guess they kinda already did that. I mean surely they kept the one Nerti had in RITE OF PASSAGE. And then there is the Puddle Jumpers cloak from ITS GOOD TO BE KING. I mean thats not a personal cloak, but if Atlantis can modify a jumper cloak to cloak the entire city of Atlantis why wouldnt they take the time machine\jumpers cloak and use it on the Deadleus or something... but then that would make us to powerful and not doomed enough. God (gods\ori\wriath) forbid we not be DOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEDDDD and actually explore the universe or something.

Comment

I have to say, I've been hesitant about this thread because it's been so nasty towards FS, likely from people who've never seen the show. They were so irritating that I wanted to sink to as a similarly insulting level.

These last few exchanges though have been grown up and civilized, which is nice. Thank you for reminding me to behave!

As for negative towards the show post-ers not being true fans. Only true fans would bother to write about what's bothering them about their favorite show. Heck, I love Farscape but I dislike some episodes , some character actions intensely and don't even care much for the last season (even though I own the DVDs).
                                There's LOTS I liked about SG1 S1-S7, and LOTS I don't like onwards from there. One of the reasons I get so disappointed in the product now is because I DO care.

Please don't ever feel that a few anti-FS comments in this thread represent everyone's opinions here! Just know that it IS a venting thread, and a lot of folks are unhappy with the show now and this anger spills over everywhere sometimes, and some will be more intense than others.

Personally, I don't even feel qualified to HAVE an opinion about FS (except for PW, which I found entertaining), so it's exchanges with FS fans like yourself that have helped me learn about the show. It's also what has taught me that CB and BB can do so much more if allowed. I'll probably never be a FS "fan" but I don't consider myself negative towards it in any way. Just as you came to SG1 with an open mind and not a lot of interest otherwise, that was my approach to FS. You are as welcome to have and chat about your own personal views about SG1 as is anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X