No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't trust anything Coop said. He could tell me the sky was blue and I'd check first before agreeing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
      I wish we had 22 episodes a season like Showtime did rather than the 20 given by Skiffy.
      well we did get 22 episodes a season on sciffy. season 6 and 7 both had 22 episodes
      they only changed to 20 in season 8 and i assume it was because they started writing for atlantis as well just to make their own lives easier

What a bunch of horse puckey! RCC has already claimed that they would never again do what they did in season 8, which was *tie* up so many threads! Season 8 was a perfect place to end the show and do the final film, al la peacekeeper wars, precisely *because* of everything that could be considered resolved. (And there was the clearly now-forgotten mantra from JM: "No RDA, no season [fill in the blank].) If you planned on ending everything in season 9, why would you add a raft of new characters? Or plan on ending everything without the character that had been your lead for 8 years?
      it was said by quite a few different ppl at different times that season 8 would be the end. they wanted to stop the show after 8, wrap things up, move on

who knows why they went onto a 9. imo it was the wrong decision.

theyre clearly not wanting to end it at 9, not after having brought mitchell in, brought vala in, and introduced the Orii

i am quite pissed off that theyre now producing this show to satisfy their wallets as opposed to satisfying, and doing it for the good of, the franchise. because right now, they are killing SG-1. it has been dilluted down and spread so thin that there are holes appearing, imo, mainly team development flaws.
      theyre wanting to change this show so much from what it once was just to get higher ratings

I would not be surprised if by the end of S10 we lose the original team, because in the minds of TPTB, the team is now Cam, Vala and whoever else they bring in to replace SG-1

sure this is all speculation but if everything TPTB are doing and saying are guiding your thoughts in this direction, then you cant help but think that not only will the show SG-1 come to an end, but its name will have been tarnished and dragged through the mud before we get there

its a shame that a lot of good TV shows start off well, but then TPTB get GREEDY and sacrifice the brilliant elements of a show for more money, for more viewers. its terrible how what was once a highly creative industry has been overrun by business men in suits. and i dont mind that they dont have a creative bone in their body, but I do mind how they think that they do and start to piss about with the creative decisions of producers and writers

if human beings are not allowed to be creative without having money be the main focus of attention then im afraid the last 100,000 years of human history, culture, art and compassion just goes right out the window. but thats another rant altogether
      - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
        I agree DarkQuee1.There's no way TPTB wanted to wrap things up in Season 9.Like you said why bring in all the new characters.I'am not sure how durable the Gaters are with the ratings being down this Year.I also do not know how they have the best of the old without RDA.I see TPTB are still living in a Dream World.Scifi is desperate for a Show with decent ratings and TPTB think there doing a great job.
        It is irrealavent how durable the Gaters are since the show is no longer Stargate. As he said "We decided to sort of reinvent the show,"... too bad some of us liked the original show and think the "reinvention" is just one giant homage to every scifi cliche ever created.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
          It is irrealavent how durable the Gaters are since the show is no longer Stargate. As he said "We decided to sort of reinvent the show,"... too bad some of us liked the original show and think the "reinvention" is just one giant homage to every scifi cliche ever created.
          I have a lot of problems with the reinvention, too. Since the first few disappointing eps of S9 I have honestly been trying to look at it as a completely new show, and judging it on its own merits. Well, you can imagine where THAT is getting me. I would never choose to continue to watch it if it were a new series. Vala alone is enough to turn me off the whole premise.

In fact, they are showing the first half of the season in a marathon on SciFi tonight, and I put on the last few eps just to remind myself of what the season arc is! I actually do not remember large chunks of these eps... (and boy, I NEVER thought I would say THAT) I think I must have turned the channel when watching them the first time around. How sad!

None of this bodes well for my enjoying Season 10. If this season's remodeling is all a set-up for similar "developments" in Season 10, then I think I really am a lost fan.

Two years ago I would have screamed if they had wanted to send Sam or Danny to Atlantis part time. Now all I wish for is that SG1 will be put mercifully out of its agony and that TPTB might move the team to Atlantis as recurring guest stars. Then maybe some of the things I liked about the characters would remain intact. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            i think that is the crux for a lot of people. NOt that ben and claudia have joined, but that they are being put forth at the cost of the existing characters.

I will not be surprised at all to see the promotion for the latter half of s9 to be heavily cam focused, with the finale promoted as the 'return of the bestest character on the show'.

s10 promotion will probably have cam and vala front and center...with those other three folks tucked into the background

New cast members can be great. I thought that jonas revitalized a tired show and i'm enjoying the new character on NCIS, however in both of these cases it's not the JOnas Quinn with his backup singers, he was brought in as a part of the show, not as the show

IMHO, cam and vala will be the focus of the show in the future. they are the new stars and the only ones scifi cares about. the others are just welcome as long as theyu're not too much of a pain

To me the issue isn't that there are new characters, but that the existing ones will be sacrificed to promote the new ones

have you seen the highlight in the new tv guide for 'fourth horseman pt2'? it's a picture of mitchell and *only* mitchell. i can't remember what the caption/highlight quote was, but... where was the rest of sg1? you know, the characters that made sg1 popular for 9 years!

it's like you've been calling it, skydiver.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              HAHA. I mean MUA-ha-ha. That maniacal dark laugh that comes when something is so pathetically true.
              If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
              proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
              Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I wouldn't trust anything Coop said. He could tell me the sky was blue and I'd check first before agreeing.
                LOL yep, especially since I wonder how much they really know about their various types of fans. Soap fans into Stargate???? This seems more like stereotyping than demographics.....

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  have you seen the highlight in the new tv guide for 'fourth horseman pt2'? it's a picture of mitchell and *only* mitchell. i can't remember what the caption/highlight quote was, but... where was the rest of sg1? you know, the characters that made sg1 popular for 9 years!

it's like you've been calling it, skydiver.

sally
                  troubling, troubling

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    which only goes to confirm my personal opinion that the only actors that count are ben and claudia and the only characters that are important are cam and vala

I think that the daniel and vala comedy hour was used two fold

a) to 'buy off' his fans. Many of the passionate daniel fans are predictible in a way that they will love and adore any plotline in which he is prominate. And many of those same fans hate sam and could be easily manipulated to endorse vala in the hopes that vala's inclusion would lead to sam's dismissal.

b) a way to downplay the cam/vala farscape angle until it was too late.

I think they used the daniel/vala angle to ease the character's introduction, but in s10 the show will take a decided cam/vala angle, leaving daniel out in the cold.

emphasizing cam and vala has a two fold plus.
                    a) the actors are cheaper since they're new
                    b) they have a built in fan base, many of which want to see the two characters together

s11, if it happens, will very likely see the departure of the regular sg actors. MS has already hinted at this with his comment about the actors not being as important as the franchise

Yep. And when the first 10 episodes and about 4 of the backhalf of S10 are in the can is when MS will say he's done. No more seasons along with AT and hopefully CJ.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                      Yep. And when the first 10 episodes and about 4 of the backhalf of S10 are in the can is when MS will say he's done. No more seasons along with AT and hopefully CJ.
                      I see it now - its all becoming clear. A vast Fargate conspiracy....

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                        I must agree. I really think 10 will be it for both MS and AT. IMO both of them are done. For CJ, I'm not sure. TPTB might want to keep him around to promote some kind of continuity, that is, if SG1 survives into 11. I see AT going to Atlantis for regular guest shots, and MS apearing a couple of times there as well. But generally I'd guess that both will have "conflicting schedules" with some new TV movie project by contract-signing time for 11.

At least I HOPE they walk away. Nothing that morphs into an 11 can do either of their careers any good. OTOH it's hard to walk away from a known gig and steady money. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

i think, if there is a s11, at and ms will be gone. they will eitehr move on on their own or they will not be asked to resign their contracts (kinda like amanda was for s10. she had to go to THEM while the other 3 plus claudia had already been contacted BY them.)

cj will likely stay because he is the least troublesome of the bunch.

s11, presuming the show keeps its name, will be cam and vala's wonderful adventures and scifi will have what they've wanted for quite some time now....as close of a retread of farscape that they can get without being sued.

to those that say they're not gonna recreate it until there are farting puppets....hey, these are the same folks that think we're too stupid to tell the difference between shanks and browder without facial hair. i'm sure they think we're too stupid to realize that all the new show is is the same actors in different costumes
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i dunno, if the show improves and we start seeing some elements which we loved about the old show then id still like to see MS AT and CJ do an S11

however if the show continues the way it is, then not only would I not want the 3 principle cast to cpntinue, but id like the show to stop altogether. why kill a good franchise with a slow, long, ugly death
                            - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                              well, one thing's for sure about that scenario...they won't call it the Harcesis child....maybe it will be the Narcissus' Child...sorry couldn't resist....
                              ROFL. Oh man, that's fantastic. I'd green you but it won't let me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                                i dunno, if the show improves and we start seeing some elements which we loved about the old show then id still like to see MS AT and CJ do an S11

however if the show continues the way it is, then not only would I not want the 3 principle cast to cpntinue, but id like the show to stop altogether. why kill a good franchise with a slow, long, ugly death
                                I'm down with that. You gotta admit that with AT out, RDA gone, no more Hammond, Frasier or Jacob/Selmak + BB and CB, Lam and Landry is a lot of change to deal with. No doubt it was a rough ride the first half of the season. I don't know that I'll ever understand, however, why they chose to be so Valacentric (when CB was 'pinch hitting for AT') rather than flesh out new more 'durable' characters like BB Lam and Landry. I mean, at least BB is supposed to be a new lead and Landry is the darn base commander but instead they focus on Vala's bustier and mouth of equal or greater size. Sorry, I'm not bitter.

Well, tonight's the night - how's everyone feeling? I have a hot date tonight so I won't see it and won't come on until I do because I don't want to be spoiled. Maybe one of you could PM me after you've seen it and at least tell me if I should wear my cringing outfit or my sit back and watch a good show outfit...

Comment

Working...
                                X