No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone here considered "re-writing" Avalon in a fanfic to show at least a possible more intelligent alternative to what we have gotten in season 9? I'd definetely be interested in seeing how someone from this thread would have written these new characters and plotlines in.

Comment

SG-1 has 8 years to get close together & grow as a team. Obviously with a change in personnel it will never be the same as before. However I cannot see how they can form anything between them, perhaps when Mitchell gets the rookieness out of his system, then they can form something more between them. This will be more difficult though in S10, they had 3/4's of S9 to do so, then in S10 along comes the new darling of skiffy in the guise of Vala. Who I personally cannot stand listening to or watching that gummy grin of hers, which drives me equally up the wall. So knowing she will be the Ori expert & so in all the eps, is really, really hard for me to take. Since they cited lack of budget for keeping someone like Jonas on, then I find it hard to comprehend how they could pull this out in order to fund a more expensive actress in Claudia Black.

The old team can't go on forever, so being that it will be chopped & changed so much over the current & coming seasons then I doubt they will ever be able to form anything like the old SG-1 had. Being that I belive that S10 or S11 max will be the end of the road for SG-1. Then I really cannot see it happening myself.

If/When it ends in the coming season/s, then I'm sure they will go into the StarGate movies, So I'm fairly sure that RDA will be somewhat more keen on doing a couple as one-offs & that will get him more spirit to retake the O'Neill role, rather than the demanding schedule of filming a full-time series. Then maybe this is the only way that Mitchell, Teal'c, Sam & Jackson (Vala #Shivers at the thought# as well) can get something going together is with a little help from an old friend.

Comment

I personally don't think there will be any SG movies. The series has just been going on for so long that I don't think Sony would find it economical - it would definetely have a "been there done that" feeling and most likely fail at the box office. That's one of the reasons why it's difficult to have a show go on for a long time and keep a franchise going afterward. Take a look at how terribly the last few Star Trek movies and shows did. The longer SG-1 is on the air, the weaker the franchise becomes, IMHO, which is another reason why they should have ended it earlier - there would have been a chance to create some successful movies when people were still craving the idea.

Comment

Actually, most of my complaints have been about the crap writing, the shoddy directing and the pathetic fanboy fantasy fulfillments we're being subjected to.

Comment

i don't think there'll be any movies either. the only way that would happen woud be if scifi canned the show mid s10...and only after an angry write in campaign ala farscape

I think sg1 will end with s10, atlantis will go for s4 and then they'll both die in lieu of something flashier and cheaper
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
              And I don't think it's just people not wanting things to change. Sure, there is some of that, but the extent and depth of complaints goes beyond not wanting things to be different. I think the problem is that while everyone knew that change was inevitable, many expected those changes to actually be addressed on screen.

yes! and NOT to diminish the existing characters over the newbies.

i said this on joe's blog, but i feel like this isn't stargate sg1 starring sam, daniel, and teal'c - with the additional cast of ben browder and claudia black - but stargate command starring ben browder and claudia black, with the additional cast of at, ms, and cj.

i can take change, but this change screwed over EVERYTHING that i loved and watched this show for.

Stargate has gone through periods of relative fan displeasure before, but there always seemed like something cooler and better was coming up to get people excited about. I think many fans are frustrated because that doesn't seem to be the case for the future.

(and)

Add on to that dissatisfaction the upcoming, insane, almost-100%-guaranteed-not-to-be-any-good SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):
              Shark Baby plotline, and there's not a whole lot for people to get excited about. There's also talk of massive crossovers next season. That's also a bad idea by many people's estimation.

i agree.

when the spoilers came out for the
              Spoiler:
              shark baby with vala
              , i have NEVER seen that many fans upset about the same subject. i really mean it, i don't think one, single person said 'cool!'. it was interesting, enlightening, and disheartening at the same time.

i don't want to see stargate end under these circumstances.

sally
              Last edited by majorsal; 24 December 2005, 10:01 PM.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                yes! and NOT to diminish the existing characters over the newbies.

i said this on joe's blog, but i feel like this isn't stargate sg1 starring sam, daniel, and teal'c - with the additional cast of ben browder and claudia black - but stargate command starring ben browder and claudia black, with the additional cast of at, ms, and cj.

i can take change, but this change screwed over EVERYTHING that i loved and watched this show for.

sally

i think that is the crux for a lot of people. NOt that ben and claudia have joined, but that they are being put forth at the cost of the existing characters.

I will not be surprised at all to see the promotion for the latter half of s9 to be heavily cam focused, with the finale promoted as the 'return of the bestest character on the show'.

s10 promotion will probably have cam and vala front and center...with those other three folks tucked into the background

New cast members can be great. I thought that jonas revitalized a tired show and i'm enjoying the new character on NCIS, however in both of these cases it's not the JOnas Quinn with his backup singers, he was brought in as a part of the show, not as the show

IMHO, cam and vala will be the focus of the show in the future. they are the new stars and the only ones scifi cares about. the others are just welcome as long as theyu're not too much of a pain

To me the issue isn't that there are new characters, but that the existing ones will be sacrificed to promote the new ones

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i think that is the crux for a lot of people. NOt that ben and claudia have joined, but that they are being put forth at the cost of the existing characters.

I will not be surprised at all to see the promotion for the latter half of s9 to be heavily cam focused, with the finale promoted as the 'return of the bestest character on the show'.

s10 promotion will probably have cam and vala front and center...with those other three folks tucked into the background

New cast members can be great. I thought that jonas revitalized a tired show and i'm enjoying the new character on NCIS, however in both of these cases it's not the JOnas Quinn with his backup singers, he was brought in as a part of the show, not as the show

IMHO, cam and vala will be the focus of the show in the future. they are the new stars and the only ones scifi cares about. the others are just welcome as long as theyu're not too much of a pain

To me the issue isn't that there are new characters, but that the existing ones will be sacrificed to promote the new ones
                  Which is why it is no longer SG-1. I signed up to watch SG-1. I watched farscape when it was on too but I did not sign up to watch a show named SG-1 done in the style of farscape.

They were different shows with different premises, criminal anti-heros looking out for themselves and (occasionally) one another vs heros who spend their entire lives trying to do the right thing, defending earth and hopefully their any allies they make. Now the shows are merging, it will be similar but ultimatly it will be worse then both. They will pretend the criminal is just as heroic (better in fact) then the true heros. The fact that the criminal has boobs and loves tight fitting cloths is so much the better for them. I can just hear them "look she wears tight leather, what a rebel, now thats a REAL woman ....oooooooo..., wait did you say a they have a new female wrestler in tight leather?!?!?!...." *clicking as they turned the channel to WWE.* I hate fanboys. I hate shows that pander to fanboys.

I miss SG-1... I am still in the morning\anger stage but I am sure by next Aug I will be in the I just dont give a crp stage.

dontruinatlantis, dontruinatlantis, dontruinatlantis.......
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    yep, and as that continues to happen, we wont see any of the stuff which i loved about the show which is the awesome team interaction and that feeling of trust without saying anything. that doesnt happen anymore. i used to feel these guys trusted each other without them having to say a word. thats what made the show feel so great and what made the stories enjoyable because you felt these people were in it together

as the show continues to be about cam and vala, not only are the original cast being forced into the background, the entire team relationship is being ignored as well, and at the end of the day, what is this show called? Stargate SG-1. yes, SG-1. so when the title of the franchise is named after a TEAM, i dont understand how they can firect their stories more towards individuals and forget the aspects that made them a team unit
                    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                      yep, and as that continues to happen, we wont see any of the stuff which i loved about the show which is the awesome team interaction and that feeling of trust without saying anything. that doesnt happen anymore. i used to feel these guys trusted each other without them having to say a word. thats what made the show feel so great and what made the stories enjoyable because you felt these people were in it together

as the show continues to be about cam and vala, not only are the original cast being forced into the background, the entire team relationship is being ignored as well, and at the end of the day, what is this show called? Stargate SG-1. yes, SG-1. so when the title of the franchise is named after a TEAM, i dont understand how they can firect their stories more towards individuals and forget the aspects that made them a team unit
                      Good point.
                      School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        Which is why it is no longer SG-1. I signed up to watch SG-1. I watched farscape when it was on too but I did not sign up to watch a show named SG-1 done in the style of farscape.

They were different shows with different premises, criminal anti-heros looking out for themselves and (occasionally) one another vs heros who spend their entire lives trying to do the right thing, defending earth and hopefully their any allies they make. Now the shows are merging, it will be similar but ultimatly it will be worse then both. They will pretend the criminal is just as heroic (better in fact) then the true heros. The fact that the criminal has boobs and loves tight fitting cloths is so much the better for them. I can just hear them "look she wears tight leather, what a rebel, now thats a REAL woman ....oooooooo..., wait did you say a they have a new female wrestler in tight leather?!?!?!...." *clicking as they turned the channel to WWE.* I hate fanboys. I hate shows that pander to fanboys.

I miss SG-1... I am still in the morning\anger stage but I am sure by next Aug I will be in the I just dont give a crp stage.

dontruinatlantis, dontruinatlantis, dontruinatlantis.......
                        I truly regret that I must join you all here. As the second half of the season approaches I'm finding myself less than excited. I just can't shake the feeling of revulsion I had as I cringed my way through Avalon Pt. 1. I turned it off half way through after waiting and waiting anxiously for weeks for the season premier.

As for mixing good/evil and glorifying thieving conniving characters - I couldn't agree with you more. If I want to see that I'll just watch - well - pretty much anything else on the Idiot Box. Which is what the show has become - mediocre - like most everything else offered up for mass consumption.

This may have been said already, but its truly not SG-1 anymore.

Welcome to Fargate. Fargate SG-1.
                        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

After reading the "Why She" thread, something occured to me. Why are Joe and the rest of TPTB are pushing Cam and Vala? Could it be that after S10 a whole new Stargate will be born, one that will have Cam and Vala, but without Sam, Daniel and Teal'c.

It would make sense, that they are building a brand new spin-off during S9 and S10. It would also make sense that Skiffy would want this, because of other reasons stated in the above mentioned thread.

I have a real funny feeling that somehow TPTB will find a way to explain away what happened to the original characters and why this "version" is there.

I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                            After reading the "Why She" thread, something occured to me. Why are Joe and the rest of TPTB are pushing Cam and Vala? Could it be that after S10 a whole new Stargate will be born, one that will have Cam and Vala, but without Sam, Daniel and Teal'c.

It would make sense, that they are building a brand new spin-off during S9 and S10. It would also make sense that Skiffy would want this, because of other reasons stated in the above mentioned thread.

I have a real funny feeling that somehow TPTB will find a way to explain away what happened to the original characters and why this "version" is there.

I hope I'm wrong.
                            oh god i hope ur wrong as well
                            - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

I hope I'm wrong.
                              Stargate is dead. I have very little hope for its future. Hopefully these last 7 eps wont be completely horribly cheesey. Since the show is becoming complete crp I hope they do get rid of the old characters that way everyone who is not that big a fan will know this is not really stargate and dont judge the previous 8 seasons on this dung.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

that's what i think is gonna happen. shanks and tapping will be pushed out, judge will be tolerated as long as he's content to keep up his silent role and doesn't make waves and stargate sg1 will die to be replaced by something else, starring cam and vala.....maybe the two of them run off, leave the sgc and earth and go rogue...all to find vala's super baby

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X