S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChevronSeven

Pilot or no pilot (Jack still has the most flight time in the F-302), Hero or no hero, Mitchell should not have been put in charge of the flagship unit. And he shouldn't have been made a Lt. Col. They could have explained Sam not being there several different ways.

the writers suffer from Plotnesia. If continuity is inconvenient, we'll just ignore it and rewrite it. no one will notice anyway
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Here are two frightening thoughts about what the "significant loss" might be:

1. The Tok'ra, the Aschen, the Re'tu, and even the Giant Aliens are all somehow wiped out by the Ori. This serves two purposes, A) To show how EVIL!!11!11! the Ori are and B) Allow TPTB to finally stop thinking about those worrisome plot threads.

2. The Ori somehow manage to kill off Oma Desala, and that allows the Almighty Cliched One himself to come back, ally with the Ori, and start spouting over-the-top dialogue again.

I don't know which of those two are worse.
      MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
        Here are two frightening thoughts about what the "significant loss" might be:

1. The Tok'ra, the Aschen, the Re'tu, and even the Giant Aliens are all somehow wiped out by the Ori. This serves two purposes, A) To show how EVIL!!11!11! the Ori are and B) Allow TPTB to finally stop thinking about those worrisome plot threads.

2. The Ori somehow manage to kill off Oma Desala, and that allows the Almighty Cliched One himself to come back, ally with the Ori, and start spouting over-the-top dialogue again.

I don't know which of those two are worse.
        Be careful, TPTB may very well steal that idea! Also, they would probably add the Furlings in for a split second so they would be relieved of the biggest plot thread still hanging.

Comment

Maybe they'll kill off Sam and she can "live on" as McKay's hallucination.

Darkside Danny would have been a lot more interesting before he descended as a jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Darkside Danny would have been a lot more interesting before he descended as a jackass.
            ROFLMAO.
            School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
              I wouldn't put it past TPTB to kill off *any* character - being it main cast, recurring, or in the "stargate universe." This
              Spoiler:
              loss could be Hammond, or, since they LOVE to point out that RDA is gone...ick, I can't bring myself to type that out.
              Vala is apparently unkillable. For some unexplainable reason they love her. She is the death of their show but they love her. Maybe they secretly hate the show because it has failed to fold as they expected the last 8 years.

I hate the CHARACTER Vala and how it will ruin this show. I used to love this show... now I get queazy just thinking about it. I pray they dont destroy Atlantis in the same way... what a waste.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Maybe they'll kill off Sam and she can "live on" as McKay's hallucination.

So very true.

Love your avatar!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  Vala is apparently unkillable. For some unexplainable reason they love her. She is the death of their show but they love her. Maybe they secretly hate the show because it has failed to fold as they expected the last 8 years.

I hate the CHARACTER Vala and how it will ruin this show. I used to love this show... now I get queazy just thinking about it. I pray they dont destroy Atlantis in the same way... what a waste.
                  Atlantis has already been ruined, especially during this horrid second season. All the characters act like morons to get them into re-hashed SG-1 situations and then save the day where normal people would have been killed.The Wraith are the most incompetent villains ever, their sheer stupidity making it impossible to fathom how the Ancients managed to lose to them. Sure, it may be entertaining, but beyond that it has no real value to it and won't last too many more seasons.

Comment

I think the Bridge TPTB Love her only because Scifi TPTB are making them Love Vala.IMO the Bridge TPTB have made there share of mistakes but I really feel Scifi is calling the shots.I doubt Bridge would have brought in BB and CB.I also feel if it was up to Bridge SG-1 as a Weekly Series would have ended by now and we would have had SG-1 Movies.I always remembered JM saying no RDA no New Seasons.I really hope in a couple of Years we find out the real story on what happened to this Show.

Comment

While I agree that SCIFI is calling the shots, I also think it's far too easy to blame all the crap that's been happening on them. "Oh, it isn't TPTB's fault, it's those nasty ol' Suits at SCIFI who're ruining things!" is a whopping "Get out of jail free" card and IMO, Joe (at the very least) has been emphasizing SCIFI's involvement for exactly that reason- to make it look like it's the network's fault and not the writers'. There are ways to make outsider decisions work to your advantage. TPTB simply haven't, IMO. They're just as much to blame for SCIFI. The network may tell them what to do (to some extent), but THEY are the ones who are actually IMPLEMENTING it.

Comment

well the thing is although there are some people who work on both SG-1 and Atlantis, the rest of the production team are different. and also Brad Wright is now showrunner for Atlantis and doesnt really ahve much to do with SG-1 anymore, same with RCC with SG-1

so what im saying is even though theres a (slightly) different team leading each show, both shows are still going downhill which is why SciFi are getting a lot of the blame

and I could just see atlantis going a bit wayward and crappy, especially when sciffy stuck their noses in with S9 of SG-1, I knew the same would happen to Atlantis
                        - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Good point.There is enough blame to go around.I just wonder how much power Bridge has left.It just seems Bridge is forced to go along with Scifi's Company Line that this Season is great.I could be wrong but I get the feeling Bridge understands that long time Fans are right about what is being said about Season 9 and there's not much Bridge can do about it.If Bridge wants to keep working they have to go along with Scifi.I think it is no accident there is not alot of hit Shows on Scifi.It starts at the Top.Scifi needs to hire good people and stay out of there way.It's like a Sports owner he keeps interfering with the General Manager and Coach and does not let them do there Job.

Comment

i agree witha lot of the last few posts

first of all, i do think that vala is untouchable. i think she and cam are deemed more important to teh show than the existing actors (at, cj and ms) who, imho, scifi have deemed as expendable. I think netu will freeze before anything happens to vala or cam

i also think that scifi is calling a LOT of the shots. i think it's even down to dictating storyline and levels of character participation. and i do think that, with rda gone and them not having the 'well, rda's schedule....' excuse they are using scifi as a blame source, even if they're not.

i don't think bridge is blameless, then again i dont' think scifi is totally the root of all evil either. I think a large part of the situation comes from scifi calling the shots and no one at bridge having the backbone to tell scifi 'no, thank you, we're making this show'

I do have serious doubts that the inclusion of vala will be good for the show. she will be a flash in tha pan, but i also think that there will be an artificial and forced emphasis on her character, one that will likely turn off a lot of viewers as s10 becomes the Vala show.

i also think that vala will be a catch 22 character. if they leave her alone she will be a laughing stock because she is too OTT to exist on a continuing basis. however if they change her, she will be criticized because she will not be the vala that folks 'fell in love with'.

will she be the death of the show???? dunno, too early to tell. But she is a bit of a typhoid mary....she's carrying something but only time will tell if the patient is healthy enough to overcome the 'illness' or if it succumbs
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I really wish Scifi and Bridge followed TPTB from Mash.TPTB for Mash made sure when they had to replace a character the new character was different than the one that left.They made sure the new characters fit the Show and did not change the Show to fit the new character.TPTB always made sure to mention the characters that left from time to time.They understood the characters that left played a big part in the success of the Show and understood those character still had Fans that watched the Show.Mash TPTB were mature and did not get upset when actors left and then took it out on the Fans.I have a feeling Scifi is upset with RDA for leaving and not so much Bridge.I could be wrong but I think Bridge understood how much RDA did for the Show.TPTB could have setup Season 9 by introducing the Ori for the last episode in 8 and then could have had Jack get captured.TPTB could have brought in Jonas or Hailey and with Jack missing you have a great reason for Sam Daniel and Teal'c to remain on SG-1 for Season 9.This may sound mean but I really hope the ratings continue to go down when the Show starts again in January.I'am hopping with the long break many Fans decided to stay away.Brdige and Scifi will not improve things unless the ratings take a big hit.
                              Last edited by ses110; 17 December 2005, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall someone...oh, who was it...used to be in charge of the SGC last year...said something along the lines of "I'm not putting anyone in charge of the premier field unit who has no offworld experience."
                                Actually, the someone--who apparently was hit by a car while crossing to the Empire State Building to meet Sam, got amnesia and wandered off with no one actually knowing where he is--didn't even talk about *leading* the team. He said he wouldn't have anyone just *on* the team who didn't have any gate experience! How times change.

Re the
                                Spoiler:
                                "significant loss": I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with The Accursed Sprog, as "Counterstrike" is a season 9 ep--I believe--and the Sprog doesn't show until the finale (actually, *after*, since I think that Vala is merely with foal in the finale).

I think, based upon a post I read some time ago on another thread on GW, that it refers to the Prometheus.

So...they promise "team" eps in Season 10? I thought they promised those in season 9, and it ain't looked any more team to me than it did last year.

Like TPTB quote that if you like Vala, you might like season 10. Great. So even if we like Vala--and I don't--we *still* might not like season 10? Now there's a sales pitch guaranteed to get me to watch!

Last but not least: the current TV Guide had a "cheer" for the show adding Vala full-time. It loves having BB and CB back together again. Tell me again that they aren't turning the show into Farscape-lite.

J.
                                "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Working...
                                X