No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well they promise a lot of things just to save face infront of angry fans, its unlikely we'll get all those things
    This is why I'm not holding my breath.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

well they promise a lot of things just to save face infront of angry fans, its unlikely we'll get all those things
      This is why I'm not holding my breath.

Albion
      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
        or thier oh so convenient plot device even if it makes absolutely ludicrous sense and makes the show, and/or characters, look idiotic. As I have said before it has gone from good, solid, drama that had respect, to a dumbed-down, run-of-the-mill, cliche and caricature ridden wanne-be sitcom because it's easier (and faster in the days of doing 40 episodes) to write, produce and direct cheap, crass, sexual innuendo laden nonesense than it is to write intelligent, consistent, well-resepcted drama with irreverent humor thrown in at appropriate moments.

i remember the first time i heard that they were going to do atlantis 'while' they were doing sg1, and i said 'no!', because i knew how it would go down. star trek next gen was a great show, until deep space 9 came around. so instead of one great show, we had two good ones.

i think it's just too much to handle writing/doing two shows at once. seasons 7 and 8 of sg1 had it's probs, but those two seasons look like academy award material compared to season 9. each and every episode deserves to be fine tuned and pampered (the way they used to), not trudged out of the assembly line.

you want to make two shows at once? take the existing writing staff and split them in half. half stay on sg1 and the other half on the new show. then, hire new writers and split them in half with each going to one show or the other.

i'm also wondering just how long it will take to accept the new team (if the writers ever have them 'act' like they're a team)? jack/rda had an enormous imprint on this show... maybe it's just me, but it's going to be an uphill battle to really accept mitchell as a member of the team (and forget about accepting vala ). i think i would have handled him better if he'd started off as jonas quinn did (below the others and 'working' to earn their respect). i know it also doesn't help that i feel that he's taken sam's rightful place as team leader. but other than that, i like mitchell.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
          and see, i don't know if they even know 'how' to stop writing the way they have been. it's their poor writing that got us into this spot to begin with.

the sam-mitchell command issue, the s/j ship issue, the where's jack issue, the vala-takes-over-the-show issue, the daniel/vala hour issue, the mitchell-as-jack-oneliners issue, the lam/landry needs to corral daughter issue, the lack of team issue... did i about cover it all?

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

but sex sells. always has

which is why we got anise and why vala dresses and acts like she does
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              the sam-mitchell command issue, the s/j ship issue, the where's jack issue, the vala-takes-over-the-show issue, the daniel/vala hour issue, the mitchell-as-jack-oneliners issue, the lam/landry needs to corral daughter issue, the lack of team issue... did i about cover it all?
              lol so basically...season 9 then?

I think they really jumped in at the deep end when SciFi said they wanna aim the show at a younger audience, and since RDA left at the end of S8, the TPTB at Bridge saw that as an opporunity to change the show. Problem is they didnt change it gradually, they just went straight in there and messed everything up in one fell swoop. So congrats to the writers, really, well done

I really really hope both Scifi and bridge realise that the show isnt going to work like this and FIX IT before it gets cancelled. atm the show is at the lowest of all lows and it cannot end this way

and i dunno how you feel about the sam jack thing but Im not a shipper and always hated that side of their relationship, and so do the actors so in a way, im glad Jack is gone just so the whole shipper thing can die
              but thats just me, im much more of a Sam/Simon shipper tbh
              - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                but sex sells. always has

which is why we got anise and why vala dresses and acts like she does
                Yes, sex sells. And I don't mind them sexing up the show. All I ask is that they sex it up intelligently. A sexy female character would be lovely, if she had a brain and some decent motivation as well as a sharp tongue and pair of fishnets.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                  All I ask is that they sex it up intelligently
                  well thats Sam Carter right there Shes all about the intelligent sexiness, no amount of cleavage and fishnets can take me away from my Sam
                  which I guess would explain why I dont care much for Vala

tho dont you find it weird that they introduced Vala in an attempt to aim the show more towards a teenage male audience? because I fall into that demographic but would much rather have Sam altho Im weird so maybe i dont count
                  - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

There are two things that I think will happen over the next season. 1) They will find some way to pair up Cam and Vala - I think it was their plan all along. and 2) to take care of the lack of projected sales of season 9 DVD's they will finally include the much anticipated and asked for out-takes and bloopers from the first seasons. Call me crazy but I don't think TPTB are not as off the cuff as we think. They will play on the Farscape fans to keep them around and play on the old Stargate fans to keep up DVD sales. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                      There are two things that I think will happen over the next season. 1) They will find some way to pair up Cam and Vala - I think it was their plan all along. and 2) to take care of the lack of projected sales of season 9 DVD's they will finally include the much anticipated and asked for out-takes and bloopers from the first seasons. Call me crazy but I don't think TPTB are not as off the cuff as we think. They will play on the Farscape fans to keep them around and play on the old Stargate fans to keep up DVD sales. What do you think?
                      not so sure because i dont think theyre including the outtakes in the S9 dvds. theyre being put on the S10 ones

but I think ur right in that TPTB are playing all sides for fools, expecting us as fans to continue buying the DVDs even though theyve managed to piss off quite a few of us old gate fans you have to wonder how stupid they really are sometimes
                      - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                        I think it's entirely probable that they will play off the Vala/Cam angle in some way in S10. They are gonna HAVE to, aren't they? I think they look at it as their hold card. The fact that it will dilute both SG1 and the memory of Farscape makes no never mind to the suits.

As for the bloopers, I'm not sure what, if anything they have in the vaults. I've heard everything from "there is no blooper film whatsoever" to "we'll never release it". Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                          well thats Sam Carter right there Shes all about the intelligent sexiness, no amount of cleavage and fishnets can take me away from my Sam
                          which I guess would explain why I dont care much for Vala

tho dont you find it weird that they introduced Vala in an attempt to aim the show more towards a teenage male audience? because I fall into that demographic but would much rather have Sam altho Im weird so maybe i dont count
                          I get so disgusted only because the character of Vala has so much potential really, and she just seems so wasted. I honestly believe that CB is playing what she is being given, and perhaps even improving on it (!), but the scripts are just such juvenile writing to start with, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                            I think it's entirely probable that they will play off the Vala/Cam angle in some way in S10. They are gonna HAVE to, aren't they? I think they look at it as their hold card. The fact that it will dilute both SG1 and the memory of Farscape makes no never mind to the suits.

As for the bloopers, I'm not sure what, if anything they have in the vaults. I've heard everything from "there is no blooper film whatsoever" to "we'll never release it". Who knows?

I know others have said as well that they think the writers will move toward a Vala/Cam dynamic, but I'm wondering why folks think this? I realize that they will have to interact more, butI would think it would continue more along the lines of Vala/Daniel instead. I wouldn't like either of these scenarios because it would be so boring.

I am actually hoping that the writers will do the "right" thing---let Vala interact with Sam, Mitchell, Daniel and Teal'c in more of an equal fashion, so that we accept her more easily. A big reason why I am having trouble with Mitchell (besides the leadership issue!), is that the interactions between Mitchell and the other team members have not had much substance---hence I don't really care about him yet (I like him, I just don't care about him).

If Vala is tied mainly to either Daniel or Cam exclusively and not all the team members, I won't really care about her. And clearly it won't be SG-1 anymore, because SG-1's success has always been about the team.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                              If Vala is tied mainly to either Daniel or Cam exclusively and not all the team members, I won't really care about her. And clearly it won't be SG-1 anymore, because SG-1's success has always been about the team.
                              you are absolutely right, and that is why im currently not really liking S9 because it doesnt feel like a team anymore

I honestly believe that CB is playing what she is being given, and perhaps even improving on it
                              CB is such an amazing actress, and it makes me feel bad knowing that Vala could be so much more than what she is now, but thats all down to the writers being able to write a good story arc for her. which is hindered by SciFi and what they want Vala to be
                              - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                                I know others have said as well that they think the writers will move toward a Vala/Cam dynamic, but I'm wondering why folks think this? I realize that they will have to interact more, butI would think it would continue more along the lines of Vala/Daniel instead. I wouldn't like either of these scenarios because it would be so boring.

I am actually hoping that the writers will do the "right" thing---let Vala interact with Sam, Mitchell, Daniel and Teal'c in more of an equal fashion, so that we accept her more easily. A big reason why I am having trouble with Mitchell (besides the leadership issue!), is that the interactions between Mitchell and the other team members have not had much substance---hence I don't really care about him yet (I like him, I just don't care about him).

What you suggest about more interaction between Vala and everyone makes perfect sense, which is why I am rather doubting that the producers will follow that course.

However, I think that the Vala/Cam dynamic will be pulled out of the hat as a publicity ploy when the ratings start to fall. That and nothing more. Lousy reasoning, of course. But lousy reasoning hasn't stopped them so far, has it?

Comment

Working...
                                X