S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sum1
    There was also a transition to the bad stuff in season 6 when they added in one of the worst aspects of the show - Prometheus
    for me, the introduction of the prometheus was cool, but with it we lost that sense of reality. somehow the show just became less believable with earth having a bigass spaceship because up until that point, we could still very easily believe everything was happening on earth in the modern day
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
      for me, the introduction of the prometheus was cool, but with it we lost that sense of reality. somehow the show just became less believable with earth having a bigass spaceship because up until that point, we could still very easily believe everything was happening on earth in the modern day
      Ya, you hit the nail on the head. Since then, things have constantly been added because they're "cool" and the writers can use them as plot devices, as opposed to adding things that make sense. It's just an example of sloppy writing - a good writer will write good and compelling stories within the universe he/she has created, not change that universe to suit the next story.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
        I think TPTB does have some level of power over skiffy - SG1 and SGA have been the second and third highest rated shows on that network so far this season. I'd like to believe that skiffy wouldn't be foolish enough to really tamper with or cancel shows that are doing that well for them. Who knows, though.
        I'd love to believe this but have you seen what SciFi produces as original scifi movies? They apparently think they're good as they keep producing them, but they're really, really bad. It's as if their idea of scifi got stuck somewhere back in the 1950's. It's like watching MST3K without the commentary.
        Last edited by KatG; 30 November 2005, 05:42 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

if they'd just put the commentary in they'd be a lot more fun

and i agree. if i'm going to watch a movie on scifi - with the exception of some like Earthsea or the like, i know that i'm going to be watching cheese on a plate becuse they are notoriously bad
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1
            There was also a transition to the bad stuff in season 6 when they added in one of the worst aspects of the show - Prometheus. Not only did that not make sense at all in terms of feasibility, it began the long trend of change toward spaceships from gate travel.
            During the grand reveal in "Prometheus" where the camera pans around from Sam, Jonas, and Donovan to show the Prommie, there's this really corny, over-the-top "theme" playing. That stupid theme (which incidentally has been titled "RCC's Vision" by my brother and I) seemed like a giant flag being waved that said, "We've got spaceships now! Forget about that big, circular hunk of rock. Ships are the way of the future". Looking back, I can't say I was too far off in my feeling. And whenever I hear that damn song, I can't help but laugh.
            MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I didn't mind the prommie so much in S6, mostly because it didn't work and they ended up using the gatey thing.

There always used to be a rule on SG-1 that we never kept any useful technology, or skills. Now we have spaceships and naquadria enhanced warheads (sorry, but after the blah in Meridian, they used it to build a bomb!?), and very soon a character capable of healing people.

I'm not feeling peril, people.

Oops, forgot to include the time-travelling puddle jumper.

Comment

I think the whole fight against the Ori is coming on too quickly. But I'm in no way against a season 10.
                Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                Caboose: They could be worse?
                Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                  I didn't mind the prommie so much in S6, mostly because it didn't work and they ended up using the gatey thing.

There always used to be a rule on SG-1 that we never kept any useful technology, or skills. Now we have spaceships and naquadria enhanced warheads (sorry, but after the blah in Meridian, they used it to build a bomb!?), and very soon a character capable of healing people.

I'm not feeling peril, people.

Oops, forgot to include the time-travelling puddle jumper.
                  meh its annoying because Stargate is turning into Star Trek with all these new spaceships and stuff
                  - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

the only problem I see is nobody can bring to the team what Sam did. shes the clever one, the strategic thinker but as shown in episodes like unnatural selection, she is still very much a human being which I love.
                    Jack can sometimes be too military, Daniel can have really high moral standards, Sam...shes just perfect, and having Vala replace her is, in my mind, unthinkable
                    Everyone can be replaced. Not meaning every actor, just saying in general.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                      I agree - we bad fans will have abandoned a da*n good show you know - the other problem I have of late (since S7) with many of TPTB is that they think just because they say it's great, and they tell us we should love it, they seem to be arrogant enough to believe we should just because they say so - and God forbid if we don't then we are just wrong, wrong, wrong . . . . Sheesh are they short-sighted or what. They really cannot afford to continue to alienate their true and long-standing fan base they way they have been.
                      LOL! I must agree with this statement above all else in here. In fact, I think it sums up the entire attitude of the "new" SG-1.

However, I can't really blame TPTB and the actors and writers for showing false enthusiasm pre-S10. It IS their jobs on the line, after all, and one doesn't go around describing one's workplace or how one's job has evolved in public as one big mistake and get renewal notices. Regardless of how one feels in private. However, now that S10 is a given, I think this pep rally attitude is just plain silly. The show is clearly not as good as it was even ONE year ago. Something is obviously wrong. Telling us at every opportunity that what we are getting now is good TV is ludicrous, IMO.

What disgusts me more than anything is being told what I am supposed to think by people whose work I no longer respect. Having folks in charge of making the show come in here and say things like "Everybody LOVES Vala", when clearly not everyone does, is insulting to ALL fans. I will not have the network's tastes shoved down my throat and be told to like it or lump it. And I will back up my opinions with a lack of DVD purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                        Earth has advanced from literally the world we have today into a world that has spaceships and naquadria enhanced warheads and new fighters able to hold their own (albeit only for a brief time) against Goa'uld Deathgliders and motherships...
                        meh, well that would be my complaint with things now because this show used to be believable. like ive already said, when this show started, one of the most appealing things about it was that it could actually be happening right now, but with all these new ships and stuff, its lost that edge of believability
                        - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                          What disgusts me more than anything is being told what I am supposed to think by people whose work I no longer respect. Having folks in charge of making the show come in here and say things like "Everybody LOVES Vala", when clearly not everyone does, is insulting to ALL fans. I will not have the network's tastes shoved down my throat and be told to like it or lump it. And I will back up my opinions with a lack of DVD purchases.
                          I agree w/ you I will not be giving my support to them via my DVD purchases anymore either. When they first starting releasing DVDs of SG1 I could not wait I would pre-order them as soon as I got word. Not anymore My collection will be incomplete....
                          One must always be improbable – Oscar Wilde sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                            yeah i agree as well, tho i personally will continue buying the DVDs, but second hand or off ebay so my collection will still be complete, but MGM/Sony wont be getting any of my money for it
                            - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

A friendly Mod reminder. Please leave Pro Season 10 comments to the Pro Season 10 thread.

Comment

meh, well that would be my complaint with things now because this show used to be believable. like ive already said, when this show started, one of the most appealing things about it was that it could actually be happening right now, but with all these new ships and stuff, its lost that edge of believability
                                Not only the loss of believability, but the loss of intelligence.
                                The team don't need to think their way out of trouble when they can just get their latest bit of nifty technology to save them.

Comment

Working...
                                X