Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    mmhm, spaaaccceeee shiiiiippppssss

hey, maybe instead of muppets they'll find a talking, intelligent spaceship to use on thier missions.

then cam and vala can go off in moya leaving those annoying other people behind
    They can call the spaceship "Kit" as another homage to the talking car. Maybe David Hasselhoff can be the next best thing to join the cast as a regular too!!! Maybe even get some of the Baywatch Babes to up the t&a factor even more for the ratings race. Bet the "boys" would have a ton of fun writing for them . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
      Someone remind me what the SG in SG-1 stands for?
      What does that SG stand for? Recently, my list would go something like this:

Something Gratuitous
      Smaller Garments
      Spaceship Greed
      Scientist Gibes
      Smarm Grasping
      Sprog Gimmick
      Successive Gaffs
      Stupid Gits
      Slumgullion
      Standards Gone
      Spectator Gagging
      Soon Goodbye
      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

Something Gratuitous
        Smaller Garments
        Spaceship Greed
        Scientist Gibes
        Smarm Grasping
        Sprog Gimmick
        Successive Gaffs
        Stupid Gits
        Slumgullion
        Standards Gone
        Spectator Gagging
        Soon Goodbye
        LOL! You forgot Sluts Galore! Also Sad Gaters, ie, us fans that are left crying into our naquada reactors at the state of the show.
        sigpic

Comment

So... we're all in agreement that SciFi sucks, right?

Oh, and I dislike them a ton, but I doubt Showtime would've been able to sustain the show that long. It's all a matter of timing. And I think both entities - Bridge and SciFi - recognize that if it hadn't been for the other, they each would've died.

Maybe Showtime just didn't see the vision anymore? What was behind them dropping SG-1 like that? It must not've been good...

However, with all of the premium cable series (Sex and The City, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc., etc., etc.) that were pumped out and hyped into oblivious about four years ago, perhaps Showtime WOULD'VE been a good thing for the series...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            So... we're all in agreement that SciFi sucks, right?

Oh, and I dislike them a ton, but I doubt Showtime would've been able to sustain the show that long. It's all a matter of timing. And I think both entities - Bridge and SciFi - recognize that if it hadn't been for the other, they each would've died.

Maybe Showtime just didn't see the vision anymore? What was behind them dropping SG-1 like that? It must not've been good...

However, with all of the premium cable series (Sex and The City, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc., etc., etc.) that were pumped out and hyped into oblivious about four years ago, perhaps Showtime WOULD'VE been a good thing for the series...
            If I recall correctly, at the end of season 3 SG-1 was Showtime's highest rated show in syndication, but when the writing staff changed and season 4 began, the ratings dropped quite a bit since the new writers changed the focus of the show. It was still doing well enough to continue for the five seasons they had renewed it for, but with season 5 and the whole Michael Shanks ordeal, to them it must have looked like the series was going down and not worth the cost to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

Something Gratuitous
              Smaller Garments
              Spaceship Greed
              Scientist Gibes
              Smarm Grasping
              Sprog Gimmick
              Successive Gaffs
              Stupid Gits
              Slumgullion
              Standards Gone
              Spectator Gagging
              Soon Goodbye
              Cheers! I was beginning to wonder how I'd spell Chappa'ai with a S & G.
              Originally posted by Nem2k
              it doesnt quite work that way. im sure one of the reasons why he got the job was because he is a well known tv actor with a ready made fanbase, of course thats one of the reasons they cast him

but imo, the main reason is reliability. for someone to come in and play a starring role, in an already highly successful tv show thats been running for 8 years, you need somebody with experience. someone who will turn up the set on time, someone who will commit, because you wont get that in a lot of inexperienced actors

sure if they were casting someone for a pilot then itll be ok to cast an unknown, but like I said, this is already a huge show, they need a talented and reliable actor who is already familiar with the way tv works
              Given their usage of BB and the development of the character of Mitchell they may well have been better off getting in an unknown. An inference I get from MS' recent comment on the actors negotiations is that Sony don't regard BB as the star. Obviously he isn't RDA, but they now think the brand sells itself and, after 8 years and SGA, I'd say they're right.

I think the show could have continued as an ensemble show. I also think the last couple of seasons were a perfect opportunity for MS to step up to the plate as lead. He has the ear of TPTB, and most of the stories had Daniel playing a major part even when it wasn't completely logical (how did the showdown with Replicarter not include Sam? In fact, did Daniel even speak to Replicarter before then?). There was a chance there to fully centralise his character I don't think he took - the character is too closely linked to Jack and IMO doesn't gel so well with the others (I suppose that's why Vala is so good for the character).

Shame really that on the other hand I think AT took every one of her opportunities, but for various reasons would never be given the chance.

Comment

I'm sitting at home watching tv. What's on now, where I live, Charmed. Now by all reasoning, Fantasy is a part of Sci-fi.

So the the longest running Sci-fi shows in the US will be Stargate-Sg-1, X-Files, and Charmed ( 8 seasons). I'm sure this is what Skiffy wanted, a show that's in the top three that uses magic along with SG-1.

Comment

well, we have a clue as to vala on s10

from joe's thread
                  I can't really shed much light on Vala's role because much of what will drive her in season 10 is a direct result of what happens to her at the end of season 9 and early in season 10 - episodes which have yet to air.
                  ok, is it just me or will s10 be the search for the super baby????

any bets that the little sprog will be full grown and talking by the end of the season?
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think the sprog is the new Big Bad guy for both SG-1 and Atlantis. It will be like that movie with the talking evil babbies..... or Austin Powers... havent decided yet. I wont care though as I wont be watching.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

from joe's thread

any bets that the little sprog will be full grown and talking by the end of the season?

I'm beginning to think that Joe, RCC, Sony,...et al, have been watching way too much Angel. Conner/Stephen/Jasmine anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                        it doesnt quite work that way. im sure one of the reasons why he got the job was because he is a well known tv actor with a ready made fanbase, of course thats one of the reasons they cast him

but imo, the main reason is reliability. for someone to come in and play a starring role, in an already highly successful tv show thats been running for 8 years, you need somebody with experience. someone who will turn up the set on time, someone who will commit, because you wont get that in a lot of inexperienced actors

sure if they were casting someone for a pilot then itll be ok to cast an unknown, but like I said, this is already a huge show, they need a talented and reliable actor who is already familiar with the way tv works
                        Not just that, but Ben has experience as a lead, something which none of the rest of the supporting cast of SG-1 have. Ben talked about what it's like to be a lead in a Starlog article a year ago, and according to Ben, it comes with a lot of responsibility and time above and beyond what an actor normally has to do. When TPTB talk about how Ben is on set on his days off and how he comes early and leaves late, that's all part of being a lead. I don't know if all leads do this, but Ben does. THere's more to it, but I can't remember it all from the article.

Plus, there's the issue of whether or not the other characters *can* be the lead. Traditionally, the leader is the lead. If that were Carter, they'd have to get another science office. If that were Daniel, they'd have to get another archeaologist.

And to be on topic just a bit ... I'm worried about Vala taking over the show. Hope I'm wrong, but ...

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                          I'm beginning to think that Joe, RCC, Sony,...et al, have been watching way too much Angel. Conner/Stephen/Jasmine anyone?
                          hey why not??? they've homaged about everything else
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                            Not just that, but Ben has experience as a lead, something which none of the rest of the supporting cast of SG-1 have. Ben talked about what it's like to be a lead in a Starlog article a year ago, and according to Ben, it comes with a lot of responsibility and time above and beyond what an actor normally has to do. When TPTB talk about how Ben is on set on his days off and how he comes early and leaves late, that's all part of being a lead. I don't know if all leads do this, but Ben does. THere's more to it, but I can't remember it all from the article.

Plus, there's the issue of whether or not the other characters *can* be the lead. Traditionally, the leader is the lead. If that were Carter, they'd have to get another science office. If that were Daniel, they'd have to get another archeaologist.

And to be on topic just a bit ... I'm worried about Vala taking over the show. Hope I'm wrong, but ...

I know what you mean, ShardsofGlass. I think there is a distinct possibility that Vala could take over the show. I know you are a fan of BB, and I am a fan of AT, and I think their characters could get pushed to the background. And JM is being very vague thus far about Sam, Mitchell and Teal'c. I feel that the only character he wants to talk about is Vala. And the only character TPTB and the Network "love" right now is Vala.

By the way I think AT or MS could have been "leads" in the show. I think they are both the caliber of BB. And I view all of them as leads, and not just BB. But we'll have to disagree on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                              I know what you mean, ShardsofGlass. I think there is a distinct possibility that Vala could take over the show. I know you are a fan of BB, and I am a fan of AT, and I think their characters could get pushed to the background. And JM is being very vague thus far about Sam, Mitchell and Teal'c. I feel that the only character he wants to talk about is Vala. And the only character TPTB and the Network "love" right now is Vala.

By the way I think AT or MS could have been "leads" in the show. I think they are both the caliber of BB. And I view all of them as leads, and not just BB. But we'll have to disagree on that one.
                              I thought they were all considered LEADS as this is an ensemble show.
                              I am sure BB doesn’t work any harder then the rest of them, ALL of whom work quite hard.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

from joe's thread
                                Originally posted by From Joe's Thread
                                I can't really shed much light on Vala's role because much of what will drive her in season 10 is a direct result of what happens to her at the end of season 9 and early in season 10 - episodes which have yet to air.

The Desperate Search For The Super Baby... or
                                The Desperate Fight Against The Super Evil Baby... or
                                The Desperate Search For One Super Baby While Desperately Fighting The Other Super Baby...

Let me guess - only the sprog will be genetically equipped / able to use, do, perceive, understand, whatever any defense against the Ori that they might come up with at the end of season 9. The sprog(s)'ll be old enough to talk, act, and not compromise the labor laws for child actors before the first half of season 10 is over. Vala will become the Mother On A Mission To Find Her Child™ long before that, necessitating a new, entirely Aeryn-Sun-like seriousness, determination, and ferocity in her character (but not necessitating a change in kind for her wardrobe or her overt sexuality). She will not, however, join the military, but, SG1 will be priviledged to assist her in her Sprog re-acquistion efforts, thereby allowing romantic relations to develop between her and Daniel. Mitchell, over-aged adolescent that he's been written and played as, will, of course, be madly smitten by the new Vala, thereby allowing romantic relations to develop between Vala and Mitchell. Teal'c and Carter will be forced to play tutors to the growing super sprog(s) first, then be abandoned and exceeded by him/them as their super powers grow past their not-super abilities (Daniel will be busy being the Currently Descended Formerly Ascended Expert On Half-Ascended Childcare), then become supporting characters as required to the All Important Highly Campy Desperate Whatever For The Super Sprog(s) (bad, yeah, but Landry'll be a third banana, I suspect) as conducted by Vala until she decides Who She Likes Better, Daniel, or Cam. I'm betting on Cam, whereupon Daniel will get papered to the wall beside Sam and Teal'c, and Vala and Cam will conduct the All Important Highly Campy Desperate Whatever For The Super Sprog(s) thereafter.

Please pardon me while I heave.
                                ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X