S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaCroix
    I agree with Lost City as one of the best last great episode. But the one item I have difficulty with is the fact that AT, MS, and CJ haven't had a chance to see if they can carry the show w/o RDA.

If you look at S9 TPTB had to find someone fast, in order to keep the "male lead" opinon, and they got BB. Now all those years of having these actors and characters, stick around honing their skills, should have counted for something.

But they never had there chance at it. And somehow I think we'll ever know.
    I agree with your post. AT, MS and CJ never got a chance so we will never know.

I liked Lost City alot too, but I really think Reckoning was a great ep, so I guess that has to be the last great old time like ep for me..... I liked mobieus too but that was AU so it doesnt really count.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

true lacroix, they did never get a chance.

if wishes were horses....why couldn't they have learned from MS' departure and brought on a developing character, someone like jonas just to use an analogy, and then build up and developed that character over a couple of years?

would cameron be different if we actually got to know him in something more than flashbacks? wouldn't we be able to accept him as a hero if we'd actually SEEN him as a hero???

yeah, i know, the old 'writing from year to year' excuse....but consider this, they knew that rick was cutting back his time since s6, so why not think ahead? Why not at least try to make a character to fill in?
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        yeah, i know, the old 'writing from year to year' excuse....but consider this, they knew that rick was cutting back his time since s6, so why not think ahead? Why not at least try to make a character to fill in?
        tbh i just dont think they were clever enough to see this coming but whats happened has happened and theres nothing we can do about it now, i just hope in the future they learn from these mistakes and make some decent progress with the show
        - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

That would require forethought. Rember they didnt know they were getting a S9. Also, they then would not have been able to bring in BB because it would be expensive to have him AND RDA for season 8.

Although I am not sure why they use the recycle actors anyway. It seems that the most like characters (except Jack) are preformed by relative unknowns (or people that just did a lot of Lifetime movies).
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

see, that's just it. with all due respect to the second big reason for hiring ben....yes, he's talented but he comes with a ready made fan base, which i'm sure played a part in him getting the role...why not cast an unknown and let him grow into the role?

unknowns are cheap and, given the amount of money they shelled out for guest star after guest star, why couldn't they have pooled that money and brought in someone, well just to use an example, someone like Major Lorne....an original 'nobody' character who can grow into a role and be developed.

why not, when they knew that their core actors were getting itchy to get on with thier lives, develop another team or character or characters to help fill that void?

yeah, i know, the old season to season excuse. however Joe has said that they're no longer writing that way which is why we had a cliffie for s9 before we knew that there'd be a season 10 (course, i never doubted that there'd be a s10, the bragging rights would be too much for skiffy to ignore)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              That would require forethought. Rember they didnt know they were getting a S9. Also, they then would not have been able to bring in BB because it would be expensive to have him AND RDA for season 8.

Although I am not sure why they use the recycle actors anyway. It seems that the most like characters (except Jack) are preformed by relative unknowns (or people that just did a lot of Lifetime movies).
              I agree. They could have got round this by developing some of the other SG teams over the last few seasons. We would have got to know the members of the teams better, and one of them could have joined SG-1 without us wondering who he/she was.
              sigpic

Comment

Here's the thing, Skiffy might claim that right for airing the longest running Sci-Fi show in the US. But all the credit goes to a little pay network called Showtime for having the stones to air it.

Comment

Here's the thing, Skiffy might claim that right for airing the longest running Sci-Fi show in the US. But all the credit goes to a little pay network called Showtime for having the stones to air it.
                  it should, but it won't.

scifi did promote it tons better than showtime ever did.

but showtime - as far as we can tell - pretty much kept thier hands off the show, while it appears that skiffy is practically dictating scripts to the writers

sigpic

Comment

see, that's just it. with all due respect to the second big reason for hiring ben....yes, he's talented but he comes with a ready made fan base, which i'm sure played a part in him getting the role...why not cast an unknown and let him grow into the role?
                    it doesnt quite work that way. im sure one of the reasons why he got the job was because he is a well known tv actor with a ready made fanbase, of course thats one of the reasons they cast him

but imo, the main reason is reliability. for someone to come in and play a starring role, in an already highly successful tv show thats been running for 8 years, you need somebody with experience. someone who will turn up the set on time, someone who will commit, because you wont get that in a lot of inexperienced actors

sure if they were casting someone for a pilot then itll be ok to cast an unknown, but like I said, this is already a huge show, they need a talented and reliable actor who is already familiar with the way tv works
                    - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

it should, but it won't.

scifi did promote it tons better than showtime ever did.

but showtime - as far as we can tell - pretty much kept thier hands off the show, while it appears that skiffy is practically dictating scripts to the writers

Ever wish it were still on Showtime? I know I do.

Comment

They did have the chance when RDA was on a reduced schedule in Season 7 and 8 and they had a chance when it was a Sam Daniel or Teal'c heavy episode.

Comment

yep, ive always said that it would have been better for the show to last 5yrs on showtime than 10yrs on scifi because of what the network is doing to the show
                          - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

All the Time.I'am sure the non Scifi members of TPTB wish that as well.IMO it's no accident the Scifi Channel does not have alot of original hit Shows.

Comment

i did the second they announced that skiffy had picked it up.

scifi is well known for meddling and then killing shows with their 'suggestions'

they seem to have little to no respect for the artists that make the show and more for focus groups or research

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                                All the Time.I'am sure the non Scifi members of TPTB wish that as well.IMO it's no accident the Scifi Channel does not have alot of original hit Shows.
                                no accident at all.

in fact, about the only show that i can think of that successfully switched networks was JAG. and even though, to man, the latter seasons were silly and sucked, it was more from bellisario's writing, not cbs sticking thier noses in

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X