No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you want to write, write. but personally i think vala becoming a regular was decided months ago.

only time will tell if she JOINS the cast or replaces some of the cast.

ultimately the only 'power' we have is to turn off the set and let it die
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

whoooohoooo. 8 more eps till the end of Stargate and the start of whatever the crpy spinnoff will be too bad scifi didn’t have the decency to let them rename it.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

If a large number of Fans stop watching the rest of Season 9 it should send a powerful message to TPTB that things better improve for Season 10.TPTB may also want to do Movies and they will need long time Fans.Fans have more power than we think.SG-1 belongs to the Fans and we have the power to take the Show off the Air.I never watched Farscape and I do not want to insult Farsape Fans but why are TPTB trying to reach out to Farscape Fans by bringing in CB and BB? It's not like Farscape had an 8 Year run and if it was so popular why did Scifi cancel the Show? So far this Year SG-1 ratings are down so it does not look like there is a large number of Farscape Fans watching SG-1.It's become obvious SCIFI is running things and not TPTB of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
          It's become obvious SCIFI is running things and not TPTB of SG-1.
          that became clear a long time ago. TPTB at SG-1 actually used to listen to the fans

and yeah, ur right, at the end of the day, the fans have the power to pull the show from the TV. but we only have an indirect effect on the show, so in order for scifi to get the message, we would need to pull the ratings a long way down
          a few fans on a forum making the conscious choice not to tune in wont make a difference. if everybody on the forum stopped watching then they might get the message, but theres no chance of that happening

I think I will write a letter, I dont wanna sit here and regret not doing anything when the show gets even worse. but do I send it to scifi? mgm? producers?

or should I start up a new website with a petition and an explanation kinda thing? that might work better than just a single letter and everyone can sign up on it!
          we must rebel! rise up against the money hungry corporation types! rebel!
          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
            I'm gutted by this news....IMO this is the death of SG1. I've nothing against CB, but honestly can't see the show carrying on. I'm really gutted because S2 of SGA has done nothing for me, in fact I can't watch it anymore it drives me mad. I wasn't really too bothered since there was still SG1...at least I've got BSG.

This is really sad news....
            Unfortunately, I don't think these weaker storylines started when SG-1 moved to Sci Fi (they only increased more rapidly in lack of quality then), but at the start of season 4 with the new writers. You can notice the difference in the very first scene of season 4, when SG-1 is talking to Hammond about how they saved the world. I never thought this type of dialogue fit the show because it was never about SG-1 saving the world, though that's what the new writers changed it to be about. Contrast that to then end of the premiere of season 2, where SG-1 is congratulated for a good job, but no one makes a big deal out of it for the simple reason that they were just doing their job and that saving the world wasn't what the show was about.

The whole "saving the world" plotline was quite a childish one, and when you base your series on it, it's inevitable that everything else will have to reduce in quality to push that idea. In season 9, we've only seen an amplification of that with these new "even worse villains" and Mitchell's pathetic backstory to make sme sort of "hero". To TPTB, he has to be a hero in order to save the world! Anise, and now Vala, fit perfectly into these kinds of shows with their sex laden humour (if you can call it that) and tight leather costumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
              wild speculation is all good, its fun to be pessimistic and cynical

the only problem I see is nobody can bring to the team what Sam did. shes the clever one, the strategic thinker but as shown in episodes like unnatural selection, she is still very much a human being which I love.
              Jack can sometimes be too military, Daniel can have really high moral standards, Sam...shes just perfect, and having Vala replace her is, in my mind, unthinkable

like ive said many many times now, sure Sam will be there in S10, but the question is for how many episodes because if shes missing for anymore than 6, then i dont think itd feel like she was part of the team anymore, and considering we lost Jack, I dont think losing Sam would be a wise move.
              however saying that, TPTB have a tendancy to do stupid things like not listening to the more loyal side of their fanbase, and just try to please all the new farscapers

I think RCC should just have his way and rename the show Stargate Command...At least theres someone part of TPTB that has half a brain

</mini rant>
              I agree 100% - SG1 as we knew it is gone.They should have ended it with the fishing trip scene cause that's when it did end!

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                wild speculation is all good, its fun to be pessimistic and cynical

the only problem I see is nobody can bring to the team what Sam did. shes the clever one, the strategic thinker but as shown in episodes like unnatural selection, she is still very much a human being which I love.
                Jack can sometimes be too military, Daniel can have really high moral standards, Sam...shes just perfect, and having Vala replace her is, in my mind, unthinkable

like ive said many many times now, sure Sam will be there in S10, but the question is for how many episodes because if shes missing for anymore than 6, then i dont think itd feel like she was part of the team anymore, and considering we lost Jack, I dont think losing Sam would be a wise move.
                however saying that, TPTB have a tendancy to do stupid things like not listening to the more loyal side of their fanbase, and just try to please all the new farscapers

I think RCC should just have his way and rename the show Stargate Command...At least theres someone part of TPTB that has half a brain

</mini rant>
                I agree 100% - SG1 as we knew it is gone.They should have ended it with the fishing trip scene cause that's when it did end!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  if you want to write, write. but personally i think vala becoming a regular was decided months ago.

only time will tell if she JOINS the cast or replaces some of the cast.

ultimately the only 'power' we have is to turn off the set and let it die
                  100% agreed!
                  sigpic

Comment

Stargate SG1 is over! It ends with season 7!

In season 8 the "spirit" which had fascinated me was already gone, the chemistry between the characters had changed. The old SG1 team was torn apart, this season was like a requiem.

The new spin off they started after season 8 couldn't interrest me and so I will watching Atlantis but thats it.

I hope in a upcoming movie the original one and only SG1 team will be reunited and they can catch the "spirit" again.

Janet forever!
                    sigpic

Comment

I gotta say, it's all really starting to sink in BIG time now, and its really making me.....sad. There isn't any other word for how I'm feeling about Stargate, it is just one word....sad.

I'm sad that RDA has gone, sad that Tapping is drifting away, sad that the team dynamic has changed which made it such a good show, just plain sad.

I cant bring myself to turn of the set to stop watching it in the vain glimmer of hope that lies in my heart that something will still be there, that something will come back into just one episode that brings a genuine heartfelt thankful smile to my lips.

I miss the show, im sad that its changed and yet....I still can't pull myself away from it. If someone 'leaves' you in your life that you have loved so dearly, you can't just forgt about them and move on, you hold on with a flicker of hope, even though you are so sad it hurts to wait. Well that's what it's like for me with Stargate now, i think. I'm holding on to something I've loved for 8 years just for that glimmer of hope.

Yes, that's all you can call it. A glimmer of hope in my sadness.

(Bit depressing i know, but thats how i'm feeling.)
                      "-If I have to say 'what' one more time...Heads are gonna roll!!"

Comment

There is a great post over at jm's blog that says it all for me. The following is the post by someone who chose to remain anonymous - I wish they had put their name - and my blog post is included with it here:

"Anonymous above this post said:

"About as cool as having McKay drooling over Sam--not at all. It's sad that the Stargate's audience is no longer the kind that goes in for drama or development. Now it's all just orgiastic sensationalism and the next instant gratification of whim. Tittliation has replaced substance, kitchy ideas have replaced sound story ideas. Plotting is increasingly convoluted, but at least it was a "cool" shot or story or scene. So long as it tickles the fancy of the lowest common denominator, it's gold on Stargate right now. More's the pity."

Sums it all up very nicely, plus it was oh sooo much fun to write. Cheap, sleazy, low-class, caricature is always fun to write -the hard work is good drama that garners respect as opposed to cheap laughs.

Binkpmmc "

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                          There is a great post over at jm's blog that says it all for me. The following is the post by someone who chose to remain anonymous - I wish they had put their name - and my blog post is included with it here:

"Anonymous above this post said:

"About as cool as having McKay drooling over Sam--not at all. It's sad that the Stargate's audience is no longer the kind that goes in for drama or development. Now it's all just orgiastic sensationalism and the next instant gratification of whim. Tittliation has replaced substance, kitchy ideas have replaced sound story ideas. Plotting is increasingly convoluted, but at least it was a "cool" shot or story or scene. So long as it tickles the fancy of the lowest common denominator, it's gold on Stargate right now. More's the pity."

Sums it all up very nicely, plus it was oh sooo much fun to write. Cheap, sleazy, low-class, caricature is always fun to write -the hard work is good drama that garners respect as opposed to cheap laughs.

Binkpmmc "
                          Eloquently put.
                          Last edited by The Engineer; 22 November 2005, 10:23 PM.
                          School is overrated.

Comment

yep, which i think is stargate's greatest weakness. sure, vala is fun. i don't deny that.

and yeah, it sucks to do research to write a fic and i would imagine it's the saem for a script. it's no fun to have to do all that research just to have folks nitpick it apart.

but it's thier job!

any schmo can crank out 'naughty' lines. i think most of us were taught them in grade/middle/high school. we all know to snicker at 'balls' or 'rack' or 'come' or other such things.

but if anyone can do that, well what does that say for job security huh? they get tired of these writers and are just writing silly adolescent 'humor', well they just might decide to save some money in the budget adn hire some adolescents to do the writing.

stargate used to be based on science, even if it was dramatized. it's not as much anymore. theyr'e making it easy and dumbing it down

maye this is a symptom of the same group doing twice the work (writing sg1 and atlantis), maybe not. but it is hurting the show. and it will kill it. it's losing what made it unique and becoming just another space opera with leather

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              yep, which i think is stargate's greatest weakness. sure, vala is fun. i don't deny that.
                              I deny it. When I watched the episodes with her, I couldn't figure out how the episode managed to get on the air without someone being fired. I personally didn't find any of her "jokes" funny at all and the character to be dull and stupid.

Comment

it may not be humor to my personal taste, but i can see where folks find it funny.

just like, well it was funny to watch her in PU beat the crud out of daniel. almost took my mind off the absurdity of a single person depopulating a whole space ship manned by the best and brightest earth has to offer.

does it really mean vala is that good or that colonel reynolds, gen hammond and the rest are complete and total idiots?????? (i go for the latter personally. if she was really that good, daniel would never have gotten the drop on her)

but as funny as folks may find that, it diminishes the show. it dumbs down teh show. it reduces these fine military officers to foils for silly jokes and charictures of themselves.

stuff like this is taking a show that the air force was proud of and turning it into something like Jag....which the navy cringed over after a couple of years

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X