S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smurf
    We should have a Stargate drinking game for next season.

A drink for each time:
    Daniel makes his confused face
    Teal says "indeed"
    Vala says something sexual
    Sam has a man moon over her
    It occurs to you that Cam is meant to be the leader

ETA: Skydiver , beat me to it. That'll teach me not to update the thread.
    wanna know what's scary? i made that list up. i haven't read the drinking game thread
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
      The things some people would do for money.
      First they use you: we need you, we are a family, we are your friends.""
      Then they throw you away like garbage: wtf are you? what do you want? gfy!
      If that is what happened they are slimy ba_tards.
      My goodnes TE! That's an awful lot of curse words there!
      Here is another question.
      If TPTB got tired of the old cast, why do they bother to marginalize (to throw their characters on some dead levels arc) when they know this is season 10? After all it might be their last. I don't know how those Sci Fi's brass minds work and after they get their magical 2 digit number of seasons (they are trying to get for the last few years) they say: "To the f%#c with this show! We have set the record. It's time for it to become history."
      In answer to your question, it why bother to marginalize them... SciFi/MGM/Sony still need the original characters to draw in the high viewer ratings so they can charge high advertising fees and continue to make money off of merchandise bearing the images of the original team. I'm not sure they (not the writers - I mean the corporate PTB) care how the stories are written, how the characters are treated, etc., they just want the hour slot to be filled.

Rob Cooper (in a blurb on GW.net) said they'd asked their PTB for a name change and it was turned down. The writers seemed to have wanted to make a cleaner 'break' or distinction between the original SG: SG1 show and the 'new improved, newer cast' show, but their PTB didn't want it... likely much afraid that the viewers wouldn't tune their TV's into it. (Look how they put different colored uniforms on Dan & Cam and had MS grow the beard --- because they thought the viewers lacked the intelligence to tell the difference between MS and BB.....)

And money's the name of the game.....
      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
        Rob Cooper (in a blurb on GW.net) said they'd asked their PTB for a name change and it was turned down. The writers seemed to have wanted to make a cleaner 'break' or distinction between the original SG: SG1 show and the 'new improved, newer cast' show, but their PTB didn't want it... likely much afraid that the viewers wouldn't tune their TV's into it. (Look how they put different colored uniforms on Dan & Cam and had MS grow the beard --- because they thought the viewers lacked the intelligence to tell the difference between MS and BB.....)

well that gives me hope in knowing that at least the writers are aware that the show isnt SG-1 anymore

tbh, Im kinda wishing SG-1 had stayed on showtime. yeah, it wouldn't have lasted as long but at least back then TPTB actually cared about the show and what the fans thought. Now everything is driven by money, by wanting the show to hold the record of longest running scifi. The show is being driven by all the wrong things which I resent

for the past 8 years myself, as well as pretty much all other old school fans, have invested a lot of time and emotion into the show because we thought it was something great. It just breaks my heart now that SG-1, which was probably the greatest show to have graced our screens, is going down a very slippery slope for the sake of getting more viewers and breaking new records, and people have forgotten what the show is about and what made it great

One final season with the original cast portraying the iconic characters of Jack, Sam, Dan and Teal'c is all I ask for. I would much prefer that to having 5 more seasons of the show as it is
        - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

My goodnes TE! That's an awful lot of curse words there!
          Oh, no, far from me my intention to horripilate. I am not an american and here we don't talk with abbreviations such as ASAP, ETA, dirty language - we just speak it (off course with the appropriate reservartion towards those who might not like those words or children).

In answer to your question, it why bother to marginalize them... SciFi/MGM/Sony still need the original characters to draw in the high viewer ratings so they can charge high advertising fees and continue to make money off of merchandise bearing the images of the original team. I'm not sure they (not the writers - I mean the corporate PTB) care how the stories are written, how the characters are treated, etc., they just want the hour slot to be filled.
          Interesting. Just to fill an hour slot. Very very interesting, if you come to think they are selfish. Let's say they go to a fancy restaurant and they want o eat. And by eating I mean not just fill their bellies. No they want exquisite food expensive wine. They want quality. So do we. We want a good show. Not just an occupied hour slot of sci fi. We want our "food" to be exquisite too.

Oh, I know, like everybody else does in this world. Now the second question that comes into my mind (I've asked it before): What would be the cost barrier? (1.7 mil $ per episode last time I read) When TPTB says that their costs are larger than their benefits or the profit would be too small for them?
          School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            have a drink every time
            teal'c says indeed
            daniel pouts
            sam gets a boyfriend
            cameron jumps excitedly
            vala changes clothes
            A drink for each time:
            Daniel makes his confused face
            Teal says "indeed"
            Vala says something sexual
            Sam has a man moon over her
            That would be interesting, good thinking. Green for Smurf (Skydiver, I was going to give you some but, i have to spread it around first).
            sigpic

Comment

We should have a Stargate drinking game for next season.

A drink for each time:...

If I have to wait for that I doubt I'll get to drink anything.
              sigpic

Comment

Yep---standing under the same light bulb here. Poor Amanda. I respect her all the more for not taking part in the highschool-level treatment the others have given RDA. It's a sad world where someone gets the short straw for being a genuinely nice person with a kind, loving heart. Even sadder for us fans when the people dishing it out are the same people we've loved, trusted and respected over the past eight seasons. Disillusioning, to say the least. (I'm going to stop now in case someone's thinking of telling me there's no Santa Claus...)
                IMO, those people were pretty much just spewing forth the party line -- don't talk about missing Rick, what his absence will mean -- accentuate the positives; how great S9 is going to be, how much fun they are all having, how it would be easier on everyone not to have to deal with Rick's schedule. Rick's gone, let's move on, etc.

In theory that is fine. But the way it came out, came across, IMO, just left *some* of the people who said those things looking like they had no class; it reflected very poorly on them (IMO).

No matter who one's favorite actor is/favorite character is, I don't think there are too many people who could deny what Rick meant to the show, that without him sticking around for those last few years, everyone involved with the show would be out looking for different jobs now instead of shooting S9.

And, the people who said things or dissed him -- well they aren't people I've loved, respected or trusted over the past 8 years; I reserve those feelings for people I ACTUALLY know.

Whatever the PTB were trying to prove by writing Jack's exit as they did, they failed completely. From everything I've read on-line or heard in real conversations, almost everyone thinks Jack's exit was horribly written and are annoyed by it. PTB did themselves no favors in this case.

S10? I certainly have no interest in watching Vala prance around with Daniel beside here. When she's around, he's just reduced to making those exaggerated facial expressions. Very sad.

Comment

i'm sure that's what it was.

let's be positive, let's talk up the changes, they're bigger, better

after all they have to convince US that the changes are for the best and they're not going to talk down things

however, in pimping the good, they did go a bit overboard and did it clumsily and it did and still does come off as 'thank GOD that draggy old man is gone. now we can really have some fun' even if they don't mean it that way

that's how people are seeing it adn the sheer clumsiness of how they've handled it HAS ticked people off. and this is a point in time when they need every fan they can get
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I dunno about you guys but im pro choice.

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Have a drink every time you see a trailer or a clip for another SG-1 ep from S9 on.
                      All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                      Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                        If I have to wait for that I doubt I'll get to drink anything.
                        There you go, we've been wondering what Mitchell is good for...
                        He's good for your health.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                          Hmm. I'm getting the sense you don't want a season 10.
                          Thank you! I still feared I didn't make my opinion audible!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                            They changed the color of the stargate room's floor? Man, I'm just not paying enough attention to things. Ya learn something new every day.
                            I never liked the colour of the floor in the stargate room. It make my sick, it is annoying, boring and disappointing.

But in the past the episodes were good enought to let me forget my anger about that ill colour. But now... I'm looking very often to the floor in the SGC or the walls or the trees in shots outside the SGC because it is more interesting as the acting or most of the actors!

And I fear it will go on like this in season 10!
                            sigpic

Comment

i'm sure that's what it was.

let's be positive, let's talk up the changes, they're bigger, better

after all they have to convince US that the changes are for the best and they're not going to talk down things

however, in pimping the good, they did go a bit overboard and did it clumsily and it did and still does come off as 'thank GOD that draggy old man is gone. now we can really have some fun' even if they don't mean it that way

Exactly; no class. What can you expect from some actors whose favorite story (it seems) is to tell fans at cons about one of them coming to the other ones' wedding in a kilt, sans underwear, with a serious case of the trots. Heehaw! Let the fun begin on the set.

I have to chuckle, though, regarding CJ's comment about them being seen previously as RDA and the 3 smucks (or some such thing); that in S9 it was much more of an ensemble with ALL characters being showcased equally. Right! Teal'c is as underused as he ever was and now it's more like Vala and the 4 smucks.

Oh, yeah, I'm really looking forward to S10 - Vala and the baby; just can't wait.!!!!! Boring!

Comment

scifi friday has become a 'have booze on hand' night

some eps, i sip my margarita all evening, other eps, such as FOR ME, lifeboat....oh, i think i was on my third by the time it ended

one fun thing to do is have a drinking game

have a drink every time

teal'c says indeed
                                daniel pouts
                                sam gets a boyfriend
                                cameron jumps excitedly
                                vala changes clothes

you get the idea

you do have to be careful though, some eps are so full of these predictible moments that you'll be smashed by the mid break
                                Tsk, tsk, tsk. You are all obviously lightweights when it comes to Stargate drinking games. I have done some serious reasearch into this very subject, and must now remind you guys yet again that the very best drinking game is to have a shot each and every time the klaxon goes off. Of course, this game is best played after popping "Avatar" into the DVD player.

I seriously doubt that S10 will present any eps to equal this level of quality fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X