This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Narim was write, quantum physics may be wrong

Remember how when Carter is talking to Narim and she mentions something about the Uncertainty Principle and they get into a discussion about about quantum physics (or the uncertainty principle anyways) being a misconception?

Check this out:
    It seems too good to be true: a new source of near-limitless power that costs virtually nothing, uses tiny amounts of water as its fuel and produces next to no waste. If that does not sound radical enough, how about this: the principle behind the source turns modern physics on its head.
    <snip>
    What has much of the physics world up in arms is Dr Mills's claim that he has produced a new form of hydrogen, the simplest of all the atoms, with just a single proton circled by one electron. In his "hydrino", the electron sits a little closer to the proton than normal, and the formation of the new atoms from traditional hydrogen releases huge amounts of energy.

This is scientific heresy. According to quantum mechanics, electrons can only exist in an atom in strictly defined orbits, and the shortest distance allowed between the proton and electron in hydrogen is fixed. The two particles are simply not allowed to get any closer.

According to Dr Mills, there can be only one explanation: quantum mechanics must be wrong. "We've done a lot of testing. We've got 50 independent validation reports, we've got 65 peer-reviewed journal articles," he said. "We ran into this theoretical resistance and there are some vested interests here. People are very strong and fervent protectors of this [quantum] theory that they use."
    It claims to be able to generate 1000 times more heat than conventional fuel. Normally I'm highly skeptical of these types of claims, though this isn't a free energy claim so is more palatable. Not to mention that they have real scientists who have also examined and believe it to be real. Hopefully if this is true we'll see something good come of it.

His claim is the matter or fierce contention. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrino
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Doesnt that make you think that stargate is real after all and their updating our science and tech slowly

The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

...not really.

Comment

lol, theres no harm in having a bit of pointless fun

It'd be a big step if the quantum theory was proven false
          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Indeed, life as we know it would stop instantaneously and every molecule in our bodies would explode at the speed of light.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
              His claim is the matter or fierce contention.
              Yes, well. The article basically said as much. But ANYTHING groundbreaking in science is likely to be controversial, Kepler, Galileo, Einstein, et al. That doesn't automatically make it wrong. In fact, the fact that it IS controversial actually would tend to lend it strength in my book. If it was just dismissed outright by most all scientists then it would probably be fake. Being controversial means that it DOES have some merit to the theory. Only time will tell if he's right or wrong. But that's the nice thing about the scientific process is that it does help to weed out the crackpots.

Indeed, life as we know it would stop instantaneously and every molecule in our bodies would explode at the speed of light.
              Boy, you seem to be in a foul mood tonight.

Comment

I didn't say it was wrong, I didn't discount the possibility either.

If it was just dismissed outright by most all scientists then it would probably be fake.
                It has been dismissed by the physics community.

Originally posted by Avatar28
                Boy, you seem to be in a foul mood tonight.
                It's a line out of Ghostbusters, but not completely without relevance.

I don't feel like I'm in a bad mood just trying to illustrate what a profoundly momentous step it would be if quantum mechanics was debunked outright.

Comment

I didn't say it was wrong, I didn't discount the possibility either.

If it was just dismissed outright by most all scientists then it would probably be fake.
                  It has been dismissed by the physics community.

It's a line out of Ghostbusters, but not completely without relevance.

I don't feel like I'm in a bad mood just trying to illustrate what a profoundly momentous step it would be if quantum mechanics was debunked outright.
                  Yeah, I recognized the quote. Just came across like you're in a bad mood. If you're not, the my apologies for misconstruing it.

Also it doesn't appear to have been entirely dismissed by the physics community. One of the people quoted in the article I linked is a physicist and the editor of the Journal of Applied Physics felt it to be interesting and relevant enough to publish. That's a lot better than most crackpot theories can manage.

I agree it would be EXTREMELY momentous though. Although to be fair I don't think it would debunk the ENTIRETY of QM, just parts of it.

Comment

I agree it would be EXTREMELY momentous though.
                    And in describing just what an absurdly massive step it would be I seek to illustrate that it's not going to happen. QM is about as entrenched as it gets, there is no way that it can just be wrong.

Comment

I agree it would be EXTREMELY momentous though.
                      And in describing just what an absurdly massive step it would be I seek to illustrate that it's not going to happen. QM is about as entrenched as it gets, there is no way that it can just be wrong.
                      Sure it could. Never say never. For instance, there ARE other possible explanations for many things besides QM such as string and brane theories and such. I think it's also been said that a grand unified theory would also require at least some of QM to be rewritten. Doesn't mean that scientists don't think it may still be possible though.

For the record, I'll remain skeptical on this until I see better proof. Doesn't keep me from hoping that it's true though.

Comment

Sure it could. Never say never. For instance, there ARE other possible explanations for many things besides QM such as string and brane theories and such. I think it's also been said that a grand unified theory would also require at least some of QM to be rewritten. Doesn't mean that scientists don't think it may still be possible though.

For the record, I'll remain skeptical on this until I see better proof. Doesn't keep me from hoping that it's true though.
                        String and brane theories explain quantum mechanics, not undermine it.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                          String and brane theories explain quantum mechanics, not undermine it.
                          But I believe they DO alter parts of it, do they not?

Comment

It wouldn't be such a disappointment, at least for me, if aspects of quantum mechanics were proven false. It would be a step forward, always the best place to direct your efforts. To think that quantum mechanics will never be proven wrong, is just folly to the billionth decimal place. Nothing current, at least in my opinion, can last completely intact, in its present embodiment, for the rest of time, or rather for as long as there continue to be scientists searching for the truth.

Comment

But I believe they DO alter parts of it, do they not?
                              Which parts?

It wouldn't be such a disappointment, at least for me, if aspects of quantum mechanics were proven false.
                              Well don't hold your breath.

Comment

Working...
                              X