• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RoboCop Remake Assembling?

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=33243

RoboCop Remake Assembling?

C.H.U.D. reported a rumor that a remake of 1987's SF satire RoboCop may be in the works. Citing an anonymous source, the site reported that producer Michael De Luca (Zathura, the Blade movies) and Sony are behind the rumored remake.
    sigpic

why?
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Exactly, Why?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I think it's fairly obvious. They are running out of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by David
          I think it's fairly obvious. They are running out of ideas.
          Oh dear.

Why remake a film that was well made in the first place.

Sad.
          srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Actually, the first and 2nd RoboCop was great. I tend to tune out RoboCop 3...

Anyway, I don't see why they would want to remake RoboCop. It was a good movie with a great story. Why try to fix something if it isn't broken?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGator5
              I'll buy that for a dollar!

Actually, the first and 2nd RoboCop was great. I tend to tune out RoboCop 3...

Anyway, I don't see why they would want to remake RoboCop. It was a good movie with a great story. Why try to fix something if it isn't broken?
              Yeah, 1 was the best, 2 was good. Trouble with 3 was they tried to remodel it for a more family orientated audience AFAIK which toned it down and made it less gritty to me.
              srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

It would be interesting though to see what way it'll turn out with present day special effects

The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                  It would be interesting though to see what way it'll turn out with present day special effects

Probably add sfx and muck up the storyline.
                  srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by srg
                    Probably add sfx and muck up the storyline.
                    Still worth watching though, and if its crap i dont mind taking and 1 1/2 break
                    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Are we sure it's a remake and not a new addition to the established universe?
                      aka Robo4 or RoboCop the Next Generation ()?

Comment

Originally posted by David
                        RoboCop the Next Generation ()?
                        haha that title would crack me up
                        srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

In any case, I'll have a look at whatever they're cooking up, but if they're reduced to what they did in 90% of the time in the series ...

ACT 1: ROBO GOES FOR THE BAD BOY
                          ACT 2: ROBO GETS HURT
                          ACT 3: ROBO GOES TO THE AUTO SHOP
                          ACT 4: ROBO GETS FIXED
                          ACT 5: ROBO BOMBS THE BAD BOY

... then you can count me out after the first couple of shows.

Comment

The original Robocop was a masterpiece within its own genre (i.e. future dystopic ultra violent movies). Arguably Verhoven's finest work (it certainly tops Showgirls ). Remaking it seems about as bright an idea as remaking, say, Pscho ...

I honestly can't imagine what a remake could add or improve on. The special effects could probably be better, but they were never lacking in the original, you'd be reduced ot making it 'bigger.' The story was solid (if simple) and isn't in any need of improvement. Even the acting was good (if not spectacular).

A remake makes no sense. And judging by the sequels, I have little hope that a remake would be good. The truth is that Robocop was a movie of its time. Back in the late 80' you could make these unapologetically violent movies. Today, you just can't do that!

Sigh.

Seriously, how many remakes have improved on the original (especially if we limit ourselves to remakes of successful films)? The only one I can think of is Batman Begins, but that was less a remake of Burton's movie than a new attempt at capturing the story of the Dark Knight. It had a wealth of source material to draw on that a new Robocop movie doesn't.

Other movies, like Planet of the Apes have done nothing for their stories. Even The Time Machine (a story with so much potential, remaking a movie that felt very dated in many ways) managed to lose all that was good in the original while adding only some spiffy effects and action scenes.

Comment

Working...
                            X