PDA

View Full Version : Got my Atlantis Season 1 DVD Set today (region1)

Morbo
November 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM
A week in advance to review.
Yay I love my job.

Its definitely a departure from the SG-1 sets. They went for the double-disced slimline DVD holders, and the cardboard slipcase is very thin as well.

It looks fairly good, but they keep making the same artistic mistake as they do in alot of their promotional art: The Atlantis gate is the SG-1 gate, just with blue instead of red. They didn't actually use the Atlantis gate's look (the star field dots, etc) - you know what I mean.

Anyway. The special features aren't very engaging this time around, but who knows for the future. Looks like just a bunch of commentaries, and few featurettes really. I've watched a few. Watching Rising right now.

Anyway, here's a pic of the set and a few shots from the menus:

Menu 1: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8161/cap0015pu.jpg
Menu 2: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3763/cap0028jc.jpg
Picture of set: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6965/img13907li.th.jpg (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img13907li.jpg)
(click to see full size)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM
lucky ba**ard

Menus are cool though. They are the same as the U.K. SGA DVD

knocknashee
November 7th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Only got to wait til February next year here in the UK... :S

I'm intrigued as to what the art for the UK ones will be, and what style of packaging they will use, since the other R2 ones are those book style cases, like what they used on the Tru Calling boxset...

How many of the eps on that set have the commentaries..?

SilverRider
November 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I'm soo waiting for it to come out in Australia. I can't even remember when it's suppose to be out. :S

xfkirsten
November 7th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Oooh! Thanks for the info!!

What are the details on the commentaries - which episodes have them, and who does them?

I heard that features were in short supply on this one, which is sad. The R2 sets had some awesome ones (love the Mission Directives!). What do we get in this set?

shazzboy
November 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'm intrigued as to what the art for the UK ones will be, and what style of packaging they will use, since the other R2 ones are those book style cases, like what they used on the Tru Calling boxset...

usually australia follows either the UK or occasionally the US in regards to dvd boxset design as well as content(we rarely have our own edition, and if we do its lower in quality). but, ours which is released on 16/11, just 1 day after US is different to theirs. so maybe the UK will look like ours?

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/779170

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/g/i/p/779170.jpg

Morbo
November 7th, 2005, 07:25 PM

pretty much all have commentaries. I don't remember from glancing at it. A good number do though.

I DO like the slimmer cases cause
a) it will save space on the shelf
b) It'll be easier to identify the sets, unlike SG-1 where there really aren't definitely titled spines.

SilverRider
November 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM
usually australia follows either the UK or occasionally the US in regards to dvd boxset design as well as content(we rarely have our own edition, and if we do its lower in quality). but, ours which is released on 16/11, just 1 day after US is different to theirs. so maybe the UK will look like ours?

Woot :D :D I'm soo buying

Morbo
November 7th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Oooh! Thanks for the info!!

What are the details on the commentaries - which episodes have them, and who does them?

I heard that features were in short supply on this one, which is sad. The R2 sets had some awesome ones (love the Mission Directives!). What do we get in this set?

Looks like there's commentaries for 14 of the 20 episodes - if i counted right.

SilverRider
November 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Wow :D :D I wonder if we get that in region 4

Morbo
November 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM

oh sure, your box-art has the correct stargate look.

FAIR.

Why is the US so half assed?

knocknashee
November 7th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Morbo and Shazzboy for the info...if the Aussie one has the same stuff on it as the rest of the R2 ones, I might just get that...

As long as I can get my hands on a set that has all the existing extras on the UK singles, plus the commentaries we didn't get, I'll be happy...

the fifth man
November 7th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to pick that up when it becomes available. Why not, I already have a whole shelf-and-a-half devoted to SG-1. Might as well collect Atlantis as well.

ToasterOnFire
November 7th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Ooh! OOH! Would you be so kind as to tell us which episodes? (and I'd also really appreciate it if you could post who exactly made comments on which episode! :D)

Thank goodness Rising pt 1 and 2 were included in the set. I was mildly concerned that they were going to cheap out fans because those eps were released early.

I figured that the packaging would be similar to other recently released DVD sets. I prefer the skinny cases too as my bookcase is getting rather stuffed. :D

*salivates with anticipation*

shazzboy
November 7th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Woot :D :D I'm soo buying

i wonder if our version is an australian only edition or is just another copy of in this case of the UK? we rarely get our own editions, and when we do its lesser quality, like with Farscape. i wonder why ezydvd hasnt listed any of the special features yet? there bloody be atleast some!

i found these special features details for Region 4 release on ebay. i dont know if theyre 100% accurate, but its all i could find in regards to the special features content for the Australian edition. how do they compare to the US? crap probably.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STARGATE-ATLANTIS-SEASON-1-NEW-SEALED-5-DISC-BOXSET_W0QQitemZ6443083224QQcategoryZ41589QQcmdZViewItem

*SPECIAL FEATURES*

Trailer: Stargate SG1

Theatrical Trailer

Main Menu Audio & Animation

Featurette: Stargate Atlantis Set Tour With Martin Wood & Peter DeLuise

Featurette: Preview Of Stargate Atlantis

Gallery-Photo

Web Links

Featurette: Diary Of Rainbow Sun Francks

Featurette: Atlantis Mission Directive: The Storm/The Eye

Audio Commentary: Writer And Cast - Childhood's End

Featurette: Mission Directive: Sanctuaries

Featurette: Wraithal Discrimination: It's Not Easy Being Green

Audio Commentary: Cast And Crew - The Storm, The Eye, The Defiant One

Featurette: Mission Directive: Before I Sleep

Featurette: Mission Directive: The Brotherhood

Featurette-Behind The Scenes: Behind The Stargate: Secrets Revealed Part 1 And Part 2

Audio Commentary: Cast And Crew - Hot Zone, The Gift, The Siege Parts 1 & 2

Featurette: Mission Directive: The Siege

Featurette: A Look Back On Season One With Martin Gero

Featurette: Preview To Season 2

Morbo
November 7th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Ooh! OOH! Would you be so kind as to tell us which episodes? (and I'd also really appreciate it if you could post who exactly made comments on which episode! :D)

Thank goodness Rising pt 1 and 2 were included in the set. I was mildly concerned that they were going to cheap out fans because those eps were released early.

I figured that the packaging would be similar to other recently released DVD sets. I prefer the skinny cases too as my bookcase is getting rather stuffed. :D

*salivates with anticipation*

i'm actually in bed right now, cause I have to sub tomorrow and be at school at 7, so if no one has done it by then, i'll look at the cases and list the episodes and who commentates.

SilverRider
November 7th, 2005, 10:21 PM
i wonder if our version is an australian only edition or is just another copy of in this case of the UK? we rarely get our own editions, and when we do its lesser quality, like with Farscape. i wonder why ezydvd hasnt listed any of the special features yet? there bloody be atleast some!

i found these special features details for Region 4 release on ebay. i dont know if theyre 100% accurate, but its all i could find in regards to the special features content for the Australian edition. how do they compare to the US? crap probably.

Um... I don't know. :S I don't use ezydvd for DVD info. At I tried them once, and didn't find them all that realiable for info like that. I have another site that help if you ask them. If you tried, Here (http://www.networkvideo.com.au), I guess it might help with with the features. Just go Videoolgy and ask. It might take a day or two, sometimes less for your wuestion to be answered. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STARGATE-ATLANTIS-SEASON-1-NEW-SEALED-5-DISC-BOXSET_W0QQitemZ6443083224QQcategoryZ41589QQcmdZViewItem

*SPECIAL FEATURES*

Trailer: Stargate SG1

Theatrical Trailer

Main Menu Audio & Animation

Featurette: Stargate Atlantis Set Tour With Martin Wood & Peter DeLuise

Featurette: Preview Of Stargate Atlantis

Gallery-Photo

Web Links

Featurette: Diary Of Rainbow Sun Francks

Featurette: Atlantis Mission Directive: The Storm/The Eye

Audio Commentary: Writer And Cast - Childhood's End

Featurette: Mission Directive: Sanctuaries

Featurette: Wraithal Discrimination: It's Not Easy Being Green

Audio Commentary: Cast And Crew - The Storm, The Eye, The Defiant One

Featurette: Mission Directive: Before I Sleep

Featurette: Mission Directive: The Brotherhood

Featurette-Behind The Scenes: Behind The Stargate: Secrets Revealed Part 1 And Part 2

Audio Commentary: Cast And Crew - Hot Zone, The Gift, The Siege Parts 1 & 2

Featurette: Mission Directive: The Siege

Featurette: A Look Back On Season One With Martin Gero

Featurette: Preview To Season 2

Ohhhh, sounds soooooooooo good. :D :D

Blue Banrigh
November 7th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Hmm... more audio commentaries than the R4 and cheaper too. Might have to go for the R1 set. I'll just have to be patient and wait for it to ship out.

akren
November 7th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the sneak-peak into the SGA box-sert's looks, etc. For shazzboy & all those other Aussies Gateheads, I will be getting my SGA DVD box set + FREE t-shirt *yeah :D* when it comes out 16/11/2005 (I pre-ordered mine, good thing about owkring in a shopping centre, not to mention EzyDVD is literally one floor above the cafe where I work. :) *lol*).

Will give a rough synposis/opinion on the box set when I get & watch it, as well as the t-shirt; & will try & upload pix if I can 4 u all. ^__^

SGVern
November 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Yay I love my job.

Its definitely a departure from the SG-1 sets. They went for the double-disced slimline DVD holders, and the cardboard slipcase is very thin as well.

It looks fairly good, but they keep making the same artistic mistake as they do in alot of their promotional art: The Atlantis gate is the SG-1 gate, just with blue instead of red. They didn't actually use the Atlantis gate's look (the star field dots, etc) - you know what I mean.

Anyway. The special features aren't very engaging this time around, but who knows for the future. Looks like just a bunch of commentaries, and few featurettes really. I've watched a few. Watching Rising right now.

Anyway, here's a pic of the set and a few shots from the menus:

Menu 1: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8161/cap0015pu.jpg
Menu 2: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3763/cap0028jc.jpg
Picture of set: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6965/img13907li.th.jpg (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img13907li.jpg)
(click to see full size)
Neat, but since the release of the set isn't until next week I'm going to reserve judgment.

SilverRider
November 8th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the sneak-peak into the SGA box-sert's looks, etc. For shazzboy & all those other Aussies Gateheads, I will be getting my SGA DVD box set + FREE t-shirt *yeah :D* when it comes out 16/11/2005 (I pre-ordered mine, good thing about owkring in a shopping centre, not to mention EzyDVD is literally one floor above the cafe where I work. :) *lol*).

Will give a rough synposis/opinion on the box set when I get & watch it, as well as the t-shirt; & will try & upload pix if I can 4 u all. ^__^

Your a such a lucky person :D :D :D Do post the pic. :p Will be waiting

Morbo
November 8th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Ok, for all you Americans!! hehe...here's the special features list for the Region 1 release next tuesday:

Commentaries: (abbreviated names due to laziness)
Rising 1 & 2 - martin wood, joe flan
Hide and seek - rachel lut, tori hig, paul mcgil
38 mins - rachel lut, paul mcgil
childhood;s end - writer martin gero, rachel lut, rainbow franck
the storm/the eye - martin wood, martin gero, david hewlett
defiant 1 - peter deluise, dan shea
hot zone - martin gero, rachel lut, rainbow, paul mcgil
Sanctuary - rachel lut, rainbow, tori higs
brtohterhood - martin wood, martin gero, david hew
the gift - peter del, gary jones (yay walter)
siege 1 - martin wood, martin gero, david hew
siege 2 - same as above + joe flan

Other:
Atlantis set tour - i already watched this - it was just alright. nothing fantastic.
diary of rainbow sun francks
mission directive: the storm/the eye
wraithal discrimination: it's not easy being green
Mission directive: sanctuary
mission directive: before i sleep
mission directive: the siege
a look back at season 1 with martin gero
various photo galleries

that's pretty much it.

I finished watching Rising last night (they did good and kept it as one whole ep instead of 2. I probably won;t watch all the eps, just a few others and some commentaries, and then watch the special features.
look for my review hopefully towards the end of this week or early next week up at dvdfanatic.com

creed462
November 8th, 2005, 10:28 AM
cool. Looks like it want take up the shelf like sg1 does

xfkirsten
November 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Ok, for all you Americans!! hehe...here's the special features list for the Region 1 release next tuesday:

Commentaries: (abbreviated names due to laziness)
Rising 1 & 2 - martin wood, joe flan
Hide and seek - rachel lut, tori hig, paul mcgil
38 mins - rachel lut, paul mcgil
childhood;s end - writer martin gero, rachel lut, rainbow franck
the storm/the eye - martin wood, martin gero, david hewlett
defiant 1 - peter deluise, dan shea
hot zone - martin gero, rachel lut, rainbow, paul mcgil
Sanctuary - rachel lut, rainbow, tori higs
brtohterhood - martin wood, martin gero, david hew
the gift - peter del, gary jones (yay walter)
siege 1 - martin wood, martin gero, david hew
siege 2 - same as above + joe flan

Other:
Atlantis set tour - i already watched this - it was just alright. nothing fantastic.
diary of rainbow sun francks
mission directive: the storm/the eye
wraithal discrimination: it's not easy being green
Mission directive: sanctuary
mission directive: before i sleep
mission directive: the siege
a look back at season 1 with martin gero
various photo galleries

that's pretty much it.

I finished watching Rising last night (they did good and kept it as one whole ep instead of 2. I probably won;t watch all the eps, just a few others and some commentaries, and then watch the special features.
look for my review hopefully towards the end of this week or early next week up at dvdfanatic.com

You are the best!! Thank you so much for sharing all the details!! :D I've seen the Mission Directives from the R2 sets... freakin' hilarious! :D

skritsys
November 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM
it comes out on the 15th in the states. one more week to go!

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
(no red please) Anybody else starting to hate Sony. First the cut-version of Threads is on the Season 8 DVD, now 6 missing commentaries on the SGA DVD. Whats next, Stargate gets cancelled for production for Season 10 can begin.

Crichton
November 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Starting to hate Sony?? I'm sure the thousands of people who bought a PS2 just so they could watch a nice screen saying "Disc Read Error" would already be there with you. :)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Starting to hate Sony?? I'm sure the thousands of people who bought a PS2 just so they could watch a nice screen saying "Disc Read Error" would already be there with you. :)
No not their PS2 department but their DVD department, is what I mean't to say.

Crichton
November 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
No not their PS2 department but their DVD department, is what I mean't to say.
You were clear, I was just choosing to go a little off topic.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
You were clear, I was just choosing to go a little off topic.
Okay, I understand now.

skritsys
November 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I am not even going to buy S8 until I know I am getting the full set with the extended bits. Once the DVD hits for SGA (next week's release) that I at least hope will have everything on there or I will be extremely angry.
The only DVD player I use anyways is my PS2 that way I can switch to a VG when I need to. Never had a disc read error though.

srg
November 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM
This box set is already out in France:S

skritsys
November 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM
FRANCE? Never heard of France.

SilverRider
November 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
FRANCE? Never heard of France.

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG Are you serious???? :eek: :eek: Paris is it's captial.

*goes into a panic mode* :rolleyes:

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
(s)he (don't know what gender skritsys is (it's in the profile)) is probably being sarcastic.

freyr's mother
November 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Yay I love my job.

Did you pre order it or buy it in a store. If u bought it in a store then im goin out to buy it when i go to ski barn to buy snowblades.

SilverRider
November 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM
(s)he (don't know what gender skritsys is (it's in the profile)) is probably being sarcastic.

I hope so. :p

ToasterOnFire
November 8th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Thank you, Morbo! I look forward to your official review! :)

(no red please) Anybody else starting to hate Sony. First the cut-version of Threads is on the Season 8 DVD, now 6 missing commentaries on the SGA DVD. Whats next, Stargate gets cancelled for production for Season 10 can begin.
Were we supposed to get all 20 commentaries? Have other regions gotten all the commentaries? I honestly don't know.

And here's another reason to dislike Sony (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=19773)

Morbo
November 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Did you pre order it or buy it in a store. If u bought it in a store then im goin out to buy it when i go to ski barn to buy snowblades.

if case you missed the part where i said i got it to review....that means as a dvd reviewer, i get sets in advance from the website i review for, and sometimes straight from the distributor - like FOX, Paramount, MGM, or others.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 8th, 2005, 03:11 PM
if case you missed the part where i said i got it to review....that means as a dvd reviewer, i get sets in advance from the website i review for, and sometimes straight from the distributor - like FOX, Paramount, MGM, or others.
Sweet, your very lucky (whatever your gender is)

Morbo
November 8th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Sweet, your very lucky (whatever your gender is)

http://tfp.killbots.com/scans/168_morbo-couch.gif

Morbo is pleased, but sticky.
(also, my name is in my sig...that should help clarify...)

shazzboy
November 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
if the info from ebay is 100% and if morbo listed everything from the region 1 edition, then it appears the differences between region 1 and 4 are as follows:

List of special feautures exclusive to each region-
Region 1

Audio Commentaries
*Rising 1&2
*Hide and Seek
*38 Minutes
*Sanctuary
*The Brotherhood

Region 4

*Trailer: Stargate SG1
*Theatrical Trailer
*Featurette: Preview Of Stargate Atlantis
*Web Links
*Featurette: Mission Directive: The Brotherhood
*Featurette: Preview To Season 2
*Featurette-Behind The Scenes: Behind The Stargate: Secrets Revealed Part 1 And Part 2

personally i think the region 1 got a better deal, as it has 6 more audio commentaries. the first four for the region 4 edition are practically worthless, i dont want to see a sg1 trailer or a preview of atlantis. the web links will probably be crap as well. but atleast we got 2 significant things that the region 1 didnt - a featurette on The Brotherhood(although region 1 got the commentary) and a behind the scenes doco - i dont know if it will be any good though. oh well, i can always hope that ebay is wrong and the region 4 will get all 20 episodes commentated! as if!

SilverRider
November 8th, 2005, 06:45 PM
if the info from ebay is 100% and if morbo listed everything from the region 1 edition, then it appears the differences between region 1 and 4 are as follows:

List of special feautures exclusive to each region-
Region 1

Audio Commentaries
*Rising 1&2
*Hide and Seek
*38 Minutes
*Sanctuary
*The Brotherhood

Region 4

*Trailer: Stargate SG1
*Theatrical Trailer
*Featurette: Preview Of Stargate Atlantis
*Web Links
*Featurette: Mission Directive: The Brotherhood
*Featurette: Preview To Season 2
*Featurette-Behind The Scenes: Behind The Stargate: Secrets Revealed Part 1 And Part 2

personally i think the region 1 got a better deal, as it has 6 more audio commentaries. the first four for the region 4 edition are practically worthless, i dont want to see a sg1 trailer or a preview of atlantis. the web links will probably be crap as well. but atleast we got 2 significant things that the region 1 didnt - a featurette on The Brotherhood(although region 1 got the commentary) and a behind the scenes doco - i dont know if it will be any good though. oh well, i can always hope that ebay is wrong and the region 4 will get all 20 episodes commentated! as if!

ack! we don't get much at all :( :(

BlueCat...Gater
November 8th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the pics and info! As soon as it released here it should arrive from Amazon.ca. I've had it ordered since the pre-order was available:D So can anyone tell me why all the regions get different special features? (Sorry if this has been answered here already). Why don't we all get the same stuff?

shazzboy
November 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM
ack! we don't get much at all :( :(

what i meant by that post is whats 'exclusive' to each region, or so what looks like whats going to be exclusive. no 100% confirmation yet. region 4 is apparently only getting 8 commentaries, none exclusive to region 4. but, as i ve listed we get a few things that region 1 isnt getting, but most of them are fairly worthless. although we get 2 more serious featurettes, but 6 less commentaries. according to ebay anyway.

SilverRider
November 8th, 2005, 08:06 PM
hehe, keep me posted about it :D :D

the fifth man
November 8th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I still say all the regions should get the same special features. It only seems fair, you know?

starathena74
November 8th, 2005, 10:57 PM
sobing i wood love to get it but i do not have the money 4 it
dose and one want to help mybuy it
help heidi get the stargte-a please
care of i know i will never get it till next yr if i can
just j/k

Locutus_Of_Borg
January 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Thats weird. Im in Australia. And the picture with the episodes. Yours is right. Instead of mine having "Underground" at the bottom, mine has "Home". And on the next disk it has "undergound" at the top instead of "home" at the top :(.