This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the difference in Ancient tech design? #SEASON NINE SPOILERS#

I ran a few searches and didn't see this, so if it's been discussed before then I apologize.

In Avalon the intergalactic communication device kind of looks bug-like/organic in design style. So does the ancient head-grabbing database. Yet other ancient tech looks very straight-edged and blocky in design, like Atlantis, the jumpers, etc. So just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the style differences?

possible that they were made at different times cause we don't know when they made the head sucker thingy so it could just be as simple as that or different cults, for lack of a better word that i can think of, that made them since we know that most of the ancients die/ascended with the plague.

Comment

When the Ancients re-seeded life in the Milky Way, they had to first wipe away all current structures, monuments, buildings, facilities. The device found on Da'kara, as we discovered, was not strong enough to destroy an entire planet, but could only wash away things that were on the surface, on in the space around the planet. Since it lacked this ability, Ancient technology at that time, was probably formed out of the materials that make up a planets structure. When they came backe from Pegasus, they could again make more advanced appearing technology.

Comment

Styles tend to change over time, and the ancients were active for millions of years.

a time to mourn

Comment

i think that the ancients in the MW who stayed behind when the other went to pegasus made the organic stuff and dakara etc and the rest made the staright edged stuff. JMO.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Picasso paints different than Da Vinci, and they're both human.... (well, everything's possible of course )

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
              Picasso paints different than Da Vinci, and they're both human.... (well, everything's possible of course )
              My thoughts exactly. Russian Tech. is different then the USA. and we are all from the Tarrea.

Thats why the Ori and the Ancients have to different styles. As for the head sucking thing my guess would be that there style changed in time.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Also, look at the Stargates and DHDs, they are of yet another architectural style.

Comment

I remember someone asking Joe the same question and replied by saying so you “finally noticed the difference in technology” it may be explained in second half on season 2 of Atlantis.
                  "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Well.... I quess we will have to wait and find out.
                    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Interesting way to respond
                      302's lead the way!

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                        My thoughts exactly. Russian Tech. is different then the USA. and we are all from the Tarrea.
                        All from the spanish homework eh?

Comment

The differences in the ancients tech is supposed to represent different civilizations of ancients throughout their history.

The natural stone and unrefined look is probably pre-plague Alteran technology. After the plague you see stuff like Atlantis; shiney refined metals and geometric shapes.
                          Around the time they leave for Pegasus, they're designing organic-looking technology starting with the drones, and ending with the head grabbers and the intergalactic comm devices.

It's fairly consistent with our own advancement; we started making everything out of stone and natural materials, later learning how to refine metals from ore. Now we're getting to the point, that with nanotech and biotech, we'll be able to grow objects and structures, eventually getting to the point where we'll grow all our technology.
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Actually, its more likely that the organic style is from their time in the Ori galaxy. Then, after a very long time, they went over to the rigid stone-like architecture seen in the gates and DHDs. Since their was a communication device still in the Ori galaxy, and I don't think the Alterrans would have returned to that galaxy to drop off some toys. Then, after the plague, when they were rebuilding their civilization, they built Atlantis and shipped off to Pegasus to begin anew.

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
                              Actually, its more likely that the organic style is from their time in the Ori galaxy. Then, after a very long time, they went over to the rigid stone-like architecture seen in the gates and DHDs. Since their was a communication device still in the Ori galaxy, and I don't think the Alterrans would have returned to that galaxy to drop off some toys. Then, after the plague, when they were rebuilding their civilization, they built Atlantis and shipped off to Pegasus to begin anew.
                              You're basing this assumption on the fact that there was a intergalactic communications device in the Ori galaxy. However, the organic looking technology is the most advanced of all the ancient technology we've seen thus far. It doesn't make sense.

There was a quote by DJ in Avalon II where he hypothesized that some of the ancients returning to Earth after abandoning Atlantis might have traveled to the Ori galaxy. It hasn't been referenced again, but that could explain how the comm device got there. If they brought the device, then it all fits together nicely.
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X