This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Symbols

Ok this is a bit complicated and I will try my best to convey what I want to say as easily as possible.

In the movie Stargate we see that Daniel recognises the symbols on the stargate from a newspaper picture that shows a picture taken of space, from Earth, so all the symbols on the stargate show constelations and groups of stars as we see them from Earth. However, as space is obvisouly 3-dimensional, looking at the stars from another planet, they would look completely different as how we see them from Earth because the stars are not all sitting right next to each other, some are billions of miles further away, some are billions of miles closer to each other.

If you looked at a chess board in play from a bird's eye view, you'd see the pieces spread out from each other, however, come down to table level and loko at it from the side at a slight distance, it looks as if the pieces are just standing next to each other and therefore the view is completely different, and you'd be totally unable to say what squares the pieces were standing on.

It's the same with stars, they're obviously not all sitting on the same board or anyting, but the principle is the same.

So, as the stargates didn't originate on Earth, why are all the symbols on every stargate in the galaxy the same (even on the Pegasus gates the symbol for Earth is the same as it is from our sky)?

Other races wouldn't recognise the symbols at all from their planet because their night sky looks completely different from ours.

It's a major flaw and one that's been nagging at me for ages, and I hope you understood where I was trying to go with this, so if you have anything you want to say that could explain it, please do.

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
    - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
    - "I'm taking this loop off..."
    - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
    - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
    - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

This has been discussed about a million times. Writer's error.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

The stargate symbols work in the movie. The series developers broke the system when they moved all the plantes to the Milky Way.

See, in the movie, they were traveling to another galaxy to visit Abydos, which had different symbols on the gate since it was in a different galaxy. The second half of the movie was all about Daniel finding the address to get them home, and the point of origin, which he had to figure out.

When the series developers decided to move everything to the Milky Way so they could visit a new planet each week, they broke the existing coordinate system, and made the symbols representing constellations implausable.

The best retrocontinuity I've heard a fan come up is that the symbols on the gate don't represent constellations; the constellations represent the symbols on the gate.
      The problem is that this wouldn't explain how Carter can set ship courses based on Stargate addressses, but I guess that is to be expected until the series developers figure out their coordinate system simply cannot work as stands now.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

atleast this problem didnt happen with atlantis cause nobody knows the constallations of the pegasus galaxy

Comment

just remember where you parked or you will get lost.
          All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
          Pay it forward

Comment

I thought I saw somewhere that the Ancients DID originate from Earth, hence the symbols.

Easy explantation, don't know if it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
              I thought I saw somewhere that the Ancients DID originate from Earth
              Cough...Season Nine

Comment

That was season nine?
                *sarcastically*

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
                  I thought I saw somewhere that the Ancients DID originate from Earth, hence the symbols.

Easy explantation, don't know if it's true.
                  Only the sky at night when the Ancients were here would have looked nothing like the symbols on the gate.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                    The stargate symbols work in the movie. The series developers broke the system when they moved all the plantes to the Milky Way.

See, in the movie, they were traveling to another galaxy to visit Abydos, which had different symbols on the gate since it was in a different galaxy. The second half of the movie was all about Daniel finding the address to get them home, and the point of origin, which he had to figure out.

When the series developers decided to move everything to the Milky Way so they could visit a new planet each week, they broke the existing coordinate system, and made the symbols representing constellations implausable.

The best retrocontinuity I've heard a fan come up is that the symbols on the gate don't represent constellations; the constellations represent the symbols on the gate.
                    The problem is that this wouldn't explain how Carter can set ship courses based on Stargate addressses, but I guess that is to be expected until the series developers figure out their coordinate system simply cannot work as stands now.
                    Er, I don't see the problem.
                    Entering your destination as a gate address rather than the physical address, well, they're one in the same. The computer just says "Oh, hey, P4X743, that's at *blah blah blah*" rather than Carter saying '170 mark 21 point 2.'
                    That is to say if you enter the symbols for Abydos, the computer will set a course for Abydos.

Ofcourse, this is null if they use the symbol-destination hyperdrive thinger for going places where there aren't gate addresses (or a distress call from a hot ex-Goa'uld).

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9
                      Er, I don't see the problem.
                      Entering your destination as a gate address rather than the physical address, well, they're one in the same. The computer just says "Oh, hey, P4X743, that's at *blah blah blah*" rather than Carter saying '170 mark 21 point 2.'
                      That is to say if you enter the symbols for Abydos, the computer will set a course for Abydos.
                      And how exactly does that refute what I wrote? In a nutshell, you just wrote "It works because it works".
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Or in this case the writers are at fault.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                          And how exactly does that refute what I wrote? In a nutshell, you just wrote "It works because it works".
                          ...huh?
                          They know where the planet is because of the gate address.

I have a ship.
                          I program where planets are and then program in what their respective gate addresses are.
                          I type in the gate address and the computer takes me there.

Does this not make sense to anyone else? Because it made sense to me when I first saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9
                            ...huh?
                            They know where the planet is because of the gate address.

I have a ship.
                            I program where planets are and then program in what their respective gate addresses are.
                            I type in the gate address and the computer takes me there.

Does this not make sense to anyone else? Because it made sense to me when I first saw it.
                            How does the address tell you where the planet is?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                              How does the address tell you where the planet is?
                              I don't know, but a great many times we've seen them talking about where the planet they were about to gate to was.

Comment

Working...
                              X