This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerns about Vala (Spoilers)

I like Vala. I love the interaction between her and Daniel and I quite enjoyed the first few episodes of S9.

However. It appears we're going to get a S10 with Vala in all 20 episodes. I have three main concerns about that.

1) Her tendency to go OTT with the sexual innuendos and silly behaviour. That will get old very fast. I did NOT like Prometheus Unbound and the character as she played it. The Vala I like is the one who got serious and used her brain in the first three episodes, the one who showed she could contribute to the team.

In order to be part of the team, she needs to bring something to it besides sex and silliness. Stargate is supposed to be a drama, not a comedy.

2) Daniel/Vala Ship. As much as I like the interaction between Daniel and Vala, I don't want to see a love affair on screen as part of a major storyline.

3) Sex and Silliness aside, Vala is a strong female character. Once upon a time, so was Sam Carter. What kind of Vala will we have after twenty episodes?

Dana Jeanne
    Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

I just found Vala an incredibly irritating character, but I know a lot of people do like her.

I agree with every concern you have, although SG-1 has lost so much since RDA left. With her in a main role I'd stop watching altogether. I just couldn't face hour after hour of her annoying voice and theatrics.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
    ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne

In order to be part of the team, she needs to bring something to it besides sex and silliness. Stargate is supposed to be a drama, not a comedy.
      Exactly. They had a golden opportunity with Vala in the Senate chambers and they blew it. They could have had her be sexy and annoying AND very knowledgable about the situation and persuasive. But they blew it. They say they don't know what to do with Sam, well they don't know how to (don't want to? ) do anything with Vala aside from show her tits.

I like Claudia. And I'm not even a Scaper. I like her look and her charm and I love to hear her speak. But Vala ranges from only tolerable to downright horrifying. It's a shame to waste an actress on drivel.

Comment

I like Vala, but TPTB would need to tone her down in order for her to be a reg. I would like her "as is" in a recurring role, but not every week.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

They'll have to tone her down a lot. I know many people aren't going to watch it if she's in every episode. I enjoy Vala, but don't think she really needs to be in every ep.

I like Daniel and Vala's banter and snarkiness, but I don't think the writers can keep that up every episode. Of course, Daniel and Vala aren't a couple (we've got fanfic for that ) and who knows what their relationship will be like in season 10, if it exists at all.

I think we should just wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
            I like Vala. I love the interaction between her and Daniel and I quite enjoyed the first few episodes of S9.

However. It appears we're going to get a S10 with Vala in all 20 episodes. I have three main concerns about that.

1) Her tendency to go OTT with the sexual innuendos and silly behaviour. That will get old very fast. I did NOT like Prometheus Unbound and the character as she played it. The Vala I like is the one who got serious and used her brain in the first three episodes, the one who showed she could contribute to the team.

2) Daniel/Vala Ship. As much as I like the interaction between Daniel and Vala, I don't want to see a love affair on screen as part of a major storyline.

3) Sex and Silliness aside, Vala is a strong female character. Once upon a time, so was Sam Carter. What kind of Vala will we have after twenty episodes?

Dana Jeanne
            I cant understand most of what she says. i dont like her. I miss Sam.

Comment

I absolutely loved Vala, found her highly entertaining and think she had great chemistry with the other team members.
              However... I can see how people would think shes a bit much: 20 episodes of Vala and I'm sure a lot of us would be turning channel.

I guess the question really comes down to it: can the writers pull of making her entertaining yet not-annoying and funny but not oversexed. If TPTB can't write for Sam... do we have enough faith in them to then write Vala into a longterm likable character? :/
              Ses
              James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Working...
              X