Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All those opposed to Sam's crossover, say aye!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All those opposed to Sam's crossover, say aye!

For those of you who haven't heard:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/1...rtoiatla.shtml

First of all, this is not a bashing thread, nor sniping, nor intended to be disrespectful to Amanda.

Having said that, after reading the news about Sam's impending semi-crossover to Atlantis, I disliked the idea. Mainly out of concern for the established characters and relationships already on Atlantis.

Ensemble cast shows in general tend to have to stretch out screen/story time as it is, I don't see how adding another prominent lead will improve that situation for the characters on Atlantis.

Another thing that worries me is that Sam has been for the most part the only female lead on SG1. Atlantis already has two stong female leads, whose repsective fanbases are already vying for both to have more screentime, more to do and/or more romantic interludes with [John Sheppard][Rodney McKay][Ronan Dex][Carson Beckett]* delete as applicable.

Before Atlantis aired it took me a while to get used to the idea of a spin-off. I had my doubts that another show could possibly have the same charm and engaging storylines as SG1. If its possible, Atlantis may have actually surpassed its predecessor in some respects. But one of the things I like the most is that the Atlantis team, even though they are not altogether cut off from Earth, their community is alone, they have a wonderful self-contained dynamic and it works - I like watching that develop each week and I'd hate to see any of them be relegated to casual appearances to squeeze in another lead. As it is, the peripheral but equally as talented cast such as Mitch Pileggi don't have the screentime they deserve. Even some of the main characters struggle to have enough purpose.

Am I over-reacting? Be nice.

Originally posted by Deborah
    For those of you who haven't heard:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/1...rtoiatla.shtml

First of all, this is not a bashing thread, nor sniping, nor intended to be disrespectful to Amanda.

Having said that, after reading the news about Sam's impending semi-crossover to Atlantis, I disliked the idea. Mainly out of concern for the established characters and relationships already on Atlantis.

Ensemble cast shows in general tend to have to stretch out screen/story time as it is, I don't see how adding another prominent lead will improve that situation for the characters on Atlantis.

Another thing that worries me is that Sam has been for the most part the only female lead on SG1. Atlantis already has two stong female leads, whose repsective fanbases are already vying for both to have more screentime, more to do and/or more romantic interludes with [John Sheppard][Rodney McKay][Ronan Dex][Carson Beckett]* delete as applicable.

Before Atlantis aired it took me a while to get used to the idea of a spin-off. I had my doubts that another show could possibly have the same charm and engaging storylines as SG1. If its possible, Atlantis may have actually surpassed its predecessor in some respects. But one of the things I like the most is that the Atlantis team, even though they are not altogether cut off from Earth, their community is alone, they have a wonderful self-contained dynamic and it works - I like watching that develop each week and I'd hate to see any of them be relegated to casual appearances to squeeze in another lead. As it is, the peripheral but equally as talented cast such as Mitch Pileggi don't have the screentime they deserve. Even some of the main characters struggle to have enough purpose.

Aye!!!!!!! i am opposed to the crossover
    ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah

Nah, over-reacting would include lots invective, calling TPTB names, etc.

I like the idea a little because I love to see Rodney and Sam together. I don't like the idea that TPTB "don't know what to do with Sam next season." What are they thinking, Stargate solitaire? No more moves apparent so...shuffle the deck?

What worries me most is that this is being done to allow them to inflict Vala on us some more. I really do want to know what happened to her after Beachead, but how they've written her so far, I'm not inspired by thoughts of her full time.

Comment

You know how it is in the world of work - have a baby, lose your job.

Amanda is such a classy lady, I will stick with her with whatever her decision will be. If she stays with SG1 - fine. If she goes to SGA - I'll watch. If she does something entirely different - I'll be there as a fan. As long as it is HER decision (and she is happy with it), and not the orders of the "suits".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Yep, I'm opposed too! Deborah I agree with your points. I also have to add I'm upset for Amanda Tapping and her many,many fans. Leave her where she truly belongs - SG1. Let's hope this proposed crossover rumour NEVER comes to fruition!
          sigpic

Comment

I also am opposed to the addition of Sam Carter to the cast of SGA. I love both Sam and AT, but she belongs on SG-1. There are already characters on SGA who don't get enough screen time and have so little development that we know virtually nothing about them. There's not really room for one more. If they put her on the Daedalus and she shuttles back and forth, it will just confuse everybody. What will be her position? Over whom will she have authority, if anyone? It looks suspiciously like they are adding sex to SG-1 and putting all the adults over on SGA. Now where will that leave all the kids who enjoy SG-1 and whose parents have heretofore felt comfortable leaving them to watch alone? We don't need this element. There's enough of that on BSG.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Rumor, rumor, rumor.

Please remember that what we've heard on this breaking story so far is second- and third-hand information, and that Tapping's final status for SG-1's tenth and Atlantis's third season is not yet confirmed. Until then, treat it as you would any rumor.
              You guys are taking this as fact, but you can't. Wait and see.

I mean common! Even if this turns out to be true, this show (SG-1) has lastest longer than most shows do and I bet some people are starting to want to do something else.

If AT wants to do this show Whistler, then I am happy for her and so should you! Maybe this is a way for them to phase her out of SG-1. Who knows?

Comment

let me play devil's advocate for a bit.

first of all i am opposed to AT going to Atlantis, i think it shows a great disrespect to the cast of atlantis(particularly torri and rachel) who have done a decent job with what have been massively under developed characters.

however i can understand the producers feeling there is not much left for the carter character, after all, jack is gone, pete is gone, jacob and the tokra are gone all that is left is for her to become science girl again.

what the options are i don't know but moving to atlantis is a terrible idea

Comment

I'm against it, for just about every reason stated already by others.

I also think the time for fans to speak up *is* now. Nothing is set in stone, so this is the time for the fans to try and get TPTB to understand what we want (and don't want).

Some actions they take have a negative effect. One in particular in season 7 of SG-1. Not a lot of people liked that, including myself.

The fans keep the shows alive, and while I understand you can't please everyone all the time, if a majority of fans cry out 'noooooooo' then just maybe that ought to be considered.

There are decisions that can't be helped. RDA one of them. The actor made a personal choice, and nothing wrong with that. I love Ben Browder, and think the switch over was handled mostly good. But unless AT is the one requesting, I do think it's unnecessary and may prove harmful to the viewership of the shows.
                  sigpic

Comment

Aye!
                    As much as I like the character of Sam and how amazing a job Amanda is doing... there really isn't a place for her on the Atlantis cast that isn't already being filled by another cast memeber :/

I would love to see Amanda continue through into season 10; but shes gotta do best for her. If she remains on SG1, or does SGA or even Whistler - I'll still have respect for her and support her as pretty much all her fans will.

I guess we won't know until next year how it will all work out...
                    Ses
                    James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Originally posted by Ses
                      Aye!
                      As much as I like the character of Sam and how amazing a job Amanda is doing... there really isn't a place for her on the Atlantis cast that isn't already being filled by another cast memeber :/

I would love to see Amanda continue through into season 10; but shes gotta do best for her. If she remains on SG1, or does SGA or even Whistler - I'll still have respect for her and support her as pretty much all her fans will.

I guess we won't know until next year how it will all work out...
                      here here. *IF* it is true then I'd be against it, keep them as seperate enteties.
                      srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C
                        However I can understand the producers feeling there is not much left for the Carter character. After all Jack is gone, Pete is gone, Jacob and the Tokra are gone all that is left is for her to become science girl again.
                        Agreed. You also got to realized that Trapping did have a baby (let's not beat around the bush here) and she may want to take in a lighter show, to spend time with her baby.

However, replacing Carter with Vala would leave the team off-balance. I think they should bring in Lieutenant Hailey.

Originally posted by Dave C
                        What the options are i don't know but moving to Atlantis is a terrible idea.
                        Again, this is all rumor. Frankly, I would not know how they would pull off or explain why she would go to SGA. The Ori are around and it seems that the SGA team has the Wraith, well under control.

Comment

Crossposting this, as it seems quite relevant here. Apologies to those who saw this when I posted it last night.

First of all: this information is not official. The fact that Tapping hadn't been contacted about it and had to ask them whether or not she had a job is a pretty good indicator that they haven't made up their minds yet. So this isn't something to panic over.

Second: that said, if they haven't made up their minds, then it's time to start writing postcards to TPTB. Sign all the online petitions you want, but it's postcards and letters that will get read and taken seriously. So write something brief (and please, for the love of cheese puffs, something sane ) expressing that you want Atlantis to stay Atlantis, that you'd rather they spend their time developing the characters and relationships already existing, rather than bringing in a character as big as Sam Carter.

And if you need addresses, here you go:

Stargate Productions
                          2400 Boundary Road
                          Burnaby, B.C.
                          V5M 3Z3
                          Canada

The Sci-Fi Channel
                          Attn: Bonnie Hammer, President
                          30 Rockefeller Plaza
                          New York, NY 10112

The Sci-Fi Channel
                          Attn: Mr. Dave Howe, General Manager
                          30 Rockefeller Plaza
                          New York, NY 10112
                          Viewer comment line: (212) 413-5000
                          Fax: (212) 413-6531

(And yes, by the way, I would recommend postcards. Cheaper to send, and more likely to be read because it doesn't have to come out of an envelope and it's automatically going to be short.)
                          Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                          Last update: 14 April 2006
                          Melyanna's Multimedia
                          Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

I have to say that I haven't seen season 9 yet, as it hasn't yet aired here in Canada, but how on earth did they justify removing the leadership of SG-1 from Sam? My husband is an officer in the Canadian Forces, and in the military, you really have to screw up to be removed as CO of a unit. If you are going to be away for a short period of time (parental leave, going on course, short-term medical leave, etc.) they bring in someone to TEMPORARILY command the unit. So how on earth did they justify removing Sam as CO of SG-1?

I personally like the Atlantis team the way it is. I'm greatly enjoying season 2 of the show. As I said, haven't seen season 9 of SG-1 yet, but from the various comments I've read, I don't think I'll be too impressed with Vala (as I woman, I'm not exactly fond of seeing other women running around in next-to-nothing.)

Sam should not only be part of SG-1, she should be the CO of SG-1. Having her move to Atlantis, even part-time, just doesn't make sense to me. Of course, my feelings may change once I see season 9 of SG-1, but from the sounds of things, I'll be shaking my head at how and why they managed to remove Sam as CO. As I said, in the military in RL, that just doesn't happen unless you really, really screw up.
                            Last edited by Caylynn; 31 October 2005, 06:40 AM.
                            Proud Canadian and army wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Caylynn
                              So how on earth did they justify removing Sam as CO of SG-1?
                              You will find out. There is a very good reason why she wasn't in charged of SG-1 when S9 begain.

Again, this all rumors people about her jumping to SGA.

Comment

Working...
                              X