Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have the Technology, Now how do we build it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have the Technology, Now how do we build it?

One of the limiting factors that seems to prevent earth from acquiring examples of useful technology (Read ships) seems to be the continued desire to keep secret the truth about the wider universe. Whether such a policy is merely a plot device or whether a logical rational can be formulated to to support secrecy is not my point in creating this thread.

I wish to suggest that even if earth cannot devote earth derived resources and industry, it does not mean that it would not be possible to employ extraterrestrial sources.

There exist populations and worlds throughout the galaxy with both numbers and industry that have already been exposed to the knowledge of the greater galaxy. Even if these people would not simply build ships for our use out of goodwill, it does not mean that we could not conceivably trade for them.

I am thinking specificly of Hebridan. What we saw in "Space Race" was a commercially oriented culture, that employs a commercial space fleet, and values both new technology and markets.

Earth could contract with various Hebridan companies to build earth ships. The ships could built so that unique earth systems could be installed once the ships were in earth possession. Things that might include hyperspace engines, weapons, or Asgard teleporters.

What could earth provide in payment? If hebridans posess a patent system we could provide new technologies. If the hebridans posess a copyright system, earth could claim the extraterrestrial right to any earth creative work -- Who knows, maybe Giligan's Island or The Little Mermaid might appeal to the Hebridans. They would probably be popular just for the novelty's sake. At the very least, earth could probably leverage the knowledge they posess of the rest of galaxy.

Other worlds of course are possibilties, what about the planet from "Prometheus?" They seem to have an adequate industrial base. Maybe Kelowna. Even though there industrial level could probably be advanced sufficiently to the point of making starships. In fact, helping them advance their industry would probably pay for a number of ships.

Speaking of payment, What ever happened to the Naquadah Astroid? If the Goa'uld tried to recover it, wouldn't it have been the same as admiting to the Asgard that they had broken the treaty? Might Earth recover the astroid? Naquadah seems to be the galactic currency now days.

A further point might be made. Perhaps earth should seek alliances with other worlds. Try with the worlds I mentioned above; maybe others like the "breeders" from "The Other Side."

Its an interesting idea about contracting extraterrestrial companies to build our ships, but I think we would be a bit reluctant to trust them given past experiences. Plus, if you recall "The Ties that Bind"
    Spoiler:
    the pentagon feels that we're safe now and that we should be focusing on Atlantis, so they may not be in a big hurry to be building more ships.

As to the asteroid, given that it would probably be easier to mine on a planet than in space, I doubt they will bother with it for now. With no more Goa'uld, we can probably go to a lot of worlds with Naquadah that we couldn't before. So I doubt supply will be a problem. If it ever does become one, then thats when they could go after it. Interesting suggestion though.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
      Its an interesting idea about contracting extraterrestrial companies to build our ships, but I think we would be a bit reluctant to trust them given past experiences.

As to the asteroid, given that it would probably be easier to mine on a planet than in space, I doubt they will bother with it for now. With no more Goa'uld, we can probably go to a lot of worlds with Naquadah that we couldn't before. So I doubt supply will be a problem. If it ever does become one, then thats when they could go after it. Interesting suggestion though
      Given past experiences dealing with other alien races in general, or with them specificly. "Space Race" gave me the impression that they would be so bad to deal with.

Of course, contracting the building of warships out to other planets does seem a bit dangerous. That is why I made the suggestion that they could build ships into which earth would install military systems. Such a system could be taken to the point where they would build the hull and most of the internal bulkhead (minus those that would get in the way of earth systems integration), perhaps the lifesupport, artificial gravity, and sublight systems. Earth would then install the rest of the systems necessary to make the ship useful.

I really just added the Naquadah astroid as another possible means of extraterrestrial trade. If I recall correctly the interior of the astroid was a great amount of refined Naquadah. It would probably be worth the effort of recovering.

Comment

Yeah, recover it and use it for ourselves instead of having to mine all the naquada from that other ex-goauld world with the unas.

Comment

Its an interesting idea about contracting extraterrestrial companies to build our ships, but I think we would be a bit reluctant to trust them given past experiences. Plus, if you recall "The Ties that Bind"
          Spoiler:
          the pentagon feels that we're safe now and that we should be focusing on Atlantis, so they may not be in a big hurry to be building more ships.

As to the asteroid, given that it would probably be easier to mine on a planet than in space, I doubt they will bother with it for now. With no more Goa'uld, we can probably go to a lot of worlds with Naquadah that we couldn't before. So I doubt supply will be a problem. If it ever does become one, then thats when they could go after it. Interesting suggestion though.
          Thanks to Asgard tech, recovering the Naquadah wouldnt be a problem. From what I learned, that thing had a core of solid, pure naquidah. One of the ships could just beam out chunks of it at a time.
          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

This is a very intresting idea ,just they will have to make sure they dont get acess to asgard or major earth tech(computers,weapons etc)
            Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
            Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
            - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
            - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Originally posted by nimitz
              This is a very intresting idea ,just they will have to make sure they dont get acess to asgard or major earth tech(computers,weapons etc)
              And that is the reason this idea will never work...Earths politics just won't allow themselves to give faith to other races. It's the old "we're the center of the universe" Kinda thing, wich all the 'outsiders' not being trusted...

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Plus, if you recall "The Ties that Bind"
                Spoiler:
                Nail, meet Hammer.

You nailed it, all right; Earth presently has not only an advanced-tech filled world all to themselves but an entire galaxy that has mineral-rich planets and zero-to-very limited populations. Why buy what you can get for free, so to speak? And no worries about the seller holding out on you, selling you second rate stuff so that they continue to have the advantage.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
                  One of the limiting factors that seems to prevent earth from acquiring examples of useful technology (Read ships) seems to be the continued desire to keep secret the truth about the wider universe. Whether such a policy is merely a plot device or whether a logical rational can be formulated to to support secrecy is not my point in creating this thread.

I wish to suggest that even if earth cannot devote earth derived resources and industry, it does not mean that it would not be possible to employ extraterrestrial sources.

There exist populations and worlds throughout the galaxy with both numbers and industry that have already been exposed to the knowledge of the greater galaxy. Even if these people would not simply build ships for our use out of goodwill, it does not mean that we could not conceivably trade for them.

I am thinking specificly of Hebridan. What we saw in "Space Race" was a commercially oriented culture, that employs a commercial space fleet, and values both new technology and markets.

Earth could contract with various Hebridan companies to build earth ships. The ships could built so that unique earth systems could be installed once the ships were in earth possession. Things that might include hyperspace engines, weapons, or Asgard teleporters.

What could earth provide in payment? If hebridans posess a patent system we could provide new technologies. If the hebridans posess a copyright system, earth could claim the extraterrestrial right to any earth creative work -- Who knows, maybe Giligan's Island or The Little Mermaid might appeal to the Hebridans. They would probably be popular just for the novelty's sake. At the very least, earth could probably leverage the knowledge they posess of the rest of galaxy.

Other worlds of course are possibilties, what about the planet from "Prometheus?" They seem to have an adequate industrial base. Maybe Kelowna. Even though there industrial level could probably be advanced sufficiently to the point of making starships. In fact, helping them advance their industry would probably pay for a number of ships.

Speaking of payment, What ever happened to the Naquadah Astroid? If the Goa'uld tried to recover it, wouldn't it have been the same as admiting to the Asgard that they had broken the treaty? Might Earth recover the astroid? Naquadah seems to be the galactic currency now days.

A further point might be made. Perhaps earth should seek alliances with other worlds. Try with the worlds I mentioned above; maybe others like the "breeders" from "The Other Side."
                  i have always said that the hebriden world is the best race weve met. the hebriden are advanced, economically viable trading partners, and friendly.
                  the hebridens seem to be like us in many ways, they are a society not jsut a race like we are. the asgard are advanced but is there any real longgevity in our friendship, after a while the asgard will be annoy with our pestering and pleading and we will get annoyed with them for just not helping.
                  the hebridens however are advanced, have a society that feel very new york like and a city that IMO is cooler than atlantis and i believe it was considered as being atlantis in the begining. so if that city was supposed to be atlantis ( the greatest city in the ancinet domain) then weve made a pretty sweet allie.
                  advanced and friendly; they gave us access to every level of their society without question almost and let us instantly join in the most prestigous event on their planet with even less deliberation. when would/has that ever happened before?
                  tas to the hebriden helping build ships, yes. i think they have the competency to do it, we jsut need to show them how. if we introduce them to the asgard and all three work in a partner ship i think it could be a very successfull operation; we/the unas mine naquadah, the hebridens process this and made the ships basic structure and the basic engines etc and then the asgard finish it off with shield and hyperdrive and beams.
                  now this could all be done within a decade or two IMO, or the systems put in place for it. within a decade the asgard and seraken hebriden federation could be allies and with earth could create plans for hybrid ships.
                  atlantis and the drones could supply weapons, asgard can supply shields and hyperdrive and the hebridens the hull and secondary system. a very effective system is potential avalable here. the asgard cant built ships at the rate they could and the less advance races like ourselve are only just starting, the serkahebs are inbetween and so make the perfect thrid side to the triangle.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

While I agree that the hebridan storyline should be further developped, what makes you think the Asgard will "get annoyed"? We've only been on speaking terms with them for a few years. Thor, for one, is likely thousands of years old. I think he'd have learned patience in that time. Besides, like the Asgard themselves said, we're the fifth race.
                    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

yes but were only advanced because they advanced us...i believe they said that because they thought we were more than we are; they thought wed devloped in to a race unto our own and not just remnents of what the ncients left behind.
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                        yes but were only advanced because they advanced us...i believe they said that because they thought we were more than we are; they thought wed devloped in to a race unto our own and not just remnents of what the ncients left behind.
                        We built and flew the Prometheus without Asgard help, they just gave us a boost. In six years since the discovery of the stargate and revelation of life outside our planet, we went from the shuttle being the most sophisticated spacecraft we had to a battleship capable of intergalactic travel. There are tanks and fighter planes in service today that took longer to design and build. We reverse engineered all that stuff ourselves.

Granted, they helped us out with hyperdrive, sheilds, and transporters that were far more advanced than what we had, but all in all I think we did alright, and I think the Asgard recognize that.

Comment

i woyuld never dispute that we havent come along way...im a strong supporter of what weve accomplished should be achnolaged by everyone. But we have not yet got the potential, the tauri that is of becomeing the fifth race. Our leading humanity in to an age of peace on cooperation to fight the orii, emergin vicorius and building an empire that transcends what all the members of the allience as a collect; that is worthy of us, humans, lead by a coalition of the most advanced human worlds in the galaxy ( including us and hebriden) on behalf of all those humans transplated millenia ago by the gouald becoming offically titles the Fifth race. or more probebly, the first race in a new allience of which the asgard, fifth race coalition and the FJN could all be part of.
                          sigpic
                          11000! green me

Comment

I think that the greatest strength the Tau'ri might bring to the Five Races Alliance would be our ingenuity.

It's not really our weapons, be they of our own making or gifts/spoil from other species, it's the way we think, the oft time unconventional way we use what we have at hand.

The Hebrideans and their alliances seem closest to the Tauri in independant, inventive thought processes - and also the most likely of all the aliens to snooker us in any trade deals, IMO.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Working...
                            X