Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couldn't we bulld a planetary shield for Earth?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't we bulld a planetary shield for Earth?

As a defense against any remaining Goa'Uld/ might the FJN get any ideas?

With the Asgard having the ability to make enourmous power sources and perhaps a Naquadah power station instead of a portable reactor?

Just an idea..

well the only time we have encountered a shield on this scale was with the Ori and that wouldnt work very well for earth even if we got the precise technology from them somehow. plus it would make it kinda hard to keep the secret from the public if an energy field suddenly appeared out of no where around the planet.

Comment

Yeah it would be hard to do. They need a ZPM just to cover Atlantis, imagine how many ZPMs you would need to create a shield covering the entire planet.

Comment

yah i think you bring a seriously good idea however the power requirements would not be able to be met by what means we have avalible at this time. I dont even think the asgard would be able to create a viable powersouce for a shield that size.. in the episode "beach head" carter said that it was using our weapons to power the shield making it larger and some how using the power from the black hole to power the shield its a good idea though

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

well if they made a huge reactor using naquadah or even naquadria it would be possible to put a shield up over the whole plant. Or if we had every country build its own and then when an attack came only the water would be unprotected.

Comment

Originally posted by general ben
            well if they made a huge reactor using naquadah or even naquadria it would be possible to put a shield up over the whole plant. Or if we had every country build its own and then when an attack came only the water would be unprotected.
            Given that it takes at least three ZPMs for Atlantis and it's just one city, and a ZPM is far in advance of a naquadah reactor you can forget that as a power source.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

We could always power it with Magnets
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Big honkin' space magnets muwhahaa
                302's lead the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                  Given that it takes at least three ZPMs for Atlantis and it's just one city, and a ZPM is far in advance of a naquadah reactor you can forget that as a power source.
                  actually it only took one zpm to get the shield.

Comment

If we found a way to harness lightning power (take the energy out of it just as it forms) we could MABEY get enough to power a shield for 10secs.
                    I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

The zpm was needed to power a sheild of that strength(over atlantis) if they weakened atlantis sheild it would cover a larger area(i dont think im explaining myself very well).
                      Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
                      Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
                      - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
                      - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Originally posted by nimitz
                        The zpm was needed to power a sheild of that strength(over atlantis) if they weakened atlantis sheild it would cover a larger area(i dont think im explaining myself very well).
                        I understood you percfectly, is that creepy? Also, I reckon that the power would be to much, collect EVERY ZPM in the PG and MW and then maybe it would be fine for an extended period of time...

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

In Siege part 3 McKay said the shield over Atlantis could be held almost indefinately by the ZPM, but it was under tremendous strain, so if the shields area was increased, the time it would last would decrease, and in a battle situation it wouldn't last very long, but it could be done.

Comment

You could however have several smaller shields powered by their own power sources. Protecting key cities/countries or you could have on huge shield made up of smaller shields. If an enemy is attacking one side of the planet then you would only need a shiled on that side and if they decide to go to the other side then just turn on the ones over there, if the planet is sourounded then turn them all on and hold them off until you can call the Tok'ra, Jaffa, Atlantis with some PJ, whatever you could get. You don't need one huge shiled powered by one energy source
                            I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Our 5 naquada generators in Atlantis couldn't even come close to powering a shield the size of a single city. It takes a single ZPM just to power the shield of Atlantis. Atlantis is tiny compared a planet. Really, Really, Really tiny.

Project Arcturus could have done it, quite easily.

....but since that didn't work....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X