PDA

View Full Version : Shippy petition Re S8

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 07:32 AM
He folks. I know I've only been here a few days, but those 'Affinity' pics if Sam and :eek: are the last straw for me.

On various shows, I have put up with TPTB strange writing decisions, and their ignorance of the fans. I always trusted their jugement until now.

I've decided to send a letter to the Production/Writing staff, and I would like to attach a petition of names.

I'f you'd like your name included, please either email me at

dementedwriter04@yahoo.co.uk

or post here telling me your name and age as well as your country.

Thanks

Suz :)

Jafana
July 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that this might need spoiler space.
I am blessedly unaware of what the "affinity" pics are of...however now I know they're somehow either shippy or un-shippy. (does that make that sentence redundant?) - depending on your stance... from this post, considering my ignorance of the contents of the pics, I can't tell your leaning.

And this also could quite possibly be more appropriate in the season eight folder as it seems to be on one particular ep.

GateGipsy
July 12th, 2004, 07:43 AM
I've added a spoiler warning to the thread title

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Ok. Thanks GateGipsy.

Sorry about that, but I'm new to all this stuff!

Nolamom
July 12th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Just a thought, but online petitions are virtually useless. Adding names to a written petition from online sources is about as convincing to TPTB as getting them at random from the phone book.

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 07:48 AM
I can only try!

I'm thinking of maybe getting people to put in their own messages, so that TPTB know it's genuine.

aAnubiSs
July 12th, 2004, 08:40 AM
oh please...

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Hey. Everybody including myself is happy that Daniel Jackson is back on the show. It was fan campaigning that got him back on the show. If you support this petition, then post. I f you don't, then do what you'd do with TPTB, and keep quiet!

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I'm also not threatening TPTB. I'm letting them know the stance of a large group of people. on the whole ship issue. I will be watching season eight, regardless of whether or not the Jack/Sam plot line is there or not. I'm not going to be issuing an ultimatum!

GateGipsy
July 12th, 2004, 09:24 AM
I might have problems with plotlines and character development, but I'm not about to make threats or demands of TPTB or "let them know how I feel".
What on earth is so bad about letting someone who is creating a consumer product know how you feel about their product? It is called feedback, not threats. If a show is doing something that I don't like, and I write to them telling them that I don't like it and explaining why I don't like it, then I'm following in a tradition that is hundreds of years old.

You harshly condemn people for making a situation worse by expressing their feelings to the show's creators, but I really don't understand why you think it is such a bad thing. People have always written letters. People wrote to complain or praise silent movies and early radio shows. I wrote letters to my favourite shows when I was a kid, when I was a teenager, when I was an adult.

No doubt someone said to Shakespeare 'I loved Romeo and Juliet, but that Troilus and Cressida has far to much fighting for my tastes'.

The point is, since when did that harmless pasttime become 'stuff that only makes things worse'? I know that what makes me happy doesn't make everyone happy, but I can only speak for myself. And I should do so - as should anyone as long as they are polite in their attitude.

That argument really doesn't make any sense. If you follow it, then really you shouldn't vote either, because the way you want the country run would only make you happy, it wouldn't make everyone happy, and if you vote and get your way then you're unfairly imposing your will on everyone else and that's inconsiderate...:)

aAnubiSs
July 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I very much doubt it that it was the fans which got MS back into SG1.

Catysg1
July 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
I don't understand why non shippers Sam and Jack are posting here .
I thought it was a petition for SaveSamandJack ;)

Anyway ..we just need to find out how the SaveDanielJackson petition was done ...that's all ...and then all 3000 + Sam and Jack SHIPPERS ALL OVER THE NET can post .. ;) I'll call them ..I know where they are ..They all watch my videos. :D

That's all ;)

Caty :)

Nolamom
July 12th, 2004, 09:55 AM
I'll call them ..I know where they are ..They all watch my videos. :D
Too funny! Thanks for lightening the mood around here.

LtLisa
July 12th, 2004, 10:03 AM
I'm in of course...do you need real name?

Lisa/21/United States

and I'd like to start another petition to get rid of Pete thats not related to S/J ship...just for anyone who wants to see him go far far away.

and I can probably get three more people too

mad_gater
July 12th, 2004, 10:06 AM
He folks. I know I've only been here a few days, but those 'Affinity' pics if Sam and :eek: are the last straw for me.

On various shows, I have put up with TPTB strange writing decisions, and their ignorance of the fans. I always trusted their jugement until now.

I've decided to send a letter to the Production/Writing staff, and I would like to attach a petition of names.

I'f you'd like your name included, please either email me at

dementedwriter04@yahoo.co.uk

or post here telling me your name and age as well as your country.

Thanks

Suz :)
My name is Joseph. I am 23 years old. I reside in the good ol' USA! :D

Message: I, along with many others, feel that Jack is a better man for Sam than :eek:. :eek: has shown that he cannot be trusted to have Sam's best interests at heart.

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks LtLisa, Mad_Gater, Nolamom, Catysg1 and everybody. Spread the word - the shippy rebelion has started!!!

Note to self : stop sounding like a megalomaniac

aAnubiSs
July 12th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Why should we that don't want Pete gone stay away from this topic? Or is the world back to the ''if you dont agree, stfu"-state again?

Redneck
July 12th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Go on put me down.
And on the topic of :eek: shouldn't his name have been Dick.
Red.

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks Redneck!

What's your name, age and country?

Ugly Pig
July 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Everybody including myself is happy that Daniel Jackson is back on the show. It was fan campaigning that got him back on the show.
A common misconception. The truth is, Daniel Jackson is back on the show because TPTB wanted him back, and MS wanted to come back. It was a mutual agreement which had little or nothing to do with fan input. And if you think this is unlikely, then keep in mind that season 6 - the first season after Daniel left - had extremely high viewer ratings.

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I read an interview with Michael Shanks in a magazine a few years ago, saying that the fan mail he reicieved was instrumental in his decision to return to the show.

He originally left, because he felt that his character was no longer of use. He realised that his character did have a use, as he was inundated by letters from fans. These letters forced him to rethink his situation, and he agreed to return.

i will also say that yes, TPTB did want him back, but why else did TPTB introduce the whole Jack/Sam storyline, if they didn't want to utilise it?

Torley
July 12th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Fans like to make a difference... :)

the dancer of spaz
July 12th, 2004, 01:52 PM
I've already stated that I like Pete as person and as a means to make Sam happy, given the current circumstances, however...

IF PETE PROPOSES TO SAM, I MIGHT HAVE TO HURT SOMEONE!!!!!!!!

Phew... Glad that's over.

Anyway, for the record, I respect AT and the writer's decision to keep Pete in next season, as long as they handle the storyline in a way that doesn't just have Sam get "some," while constantly pining over Jack. Jack IS the General, after all, guys, and everyone on the series has made it quite clear that they respect the US Air Force, and all of the regulations therein. It would explain why the ONLY times Jack and Sam have ever kissed have been because of the following:

1) Alien influence
2) Alternate reality, where Sam was a civilian
3) Jack had resigned
4) Sam was hallucinating

Am I missing any? :D

To make a long point longer, I think Sam and Jack should get together at the end (because Jack IS the man for her), but that the current storylines are great.

I also think that fans WERE one of the main factors in getting Michael Shanks back, and the writers/producers/directors/powers DO respect the fans enough to do something about it, if they feel that the majority are being... affected.

So post on, :eek: - haters (hehe), because they DO go on these sites, and they do pay attention to us... for the most part. :o

Thank you. That is all. ;)

Anthro Girl
July 12th, 2004, 02:05 PM
...why else did TPTB introduce the whole Jack/Sam storyline, if they didn't want to utilise it?
Oh, but they have used it, they do use it and they are using it. It - the whole Jack/Sam storyline...however one may interpret it - keeps people watching. ;)

LtLisa
July 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Why should we that don't want Pete gone stay away from this topic? Or is the world back to the ''if you dont agree, stfu"-state again?

Because its common courtesy; this thread is for people who don't like Pete to organize a petition about him. We don't like him, we want to discuss the anti-Pete petition, not debate about the guy. Thays for the Ship Discussion Thread. You wouldn't want us coming into a pro-pete thread and bashing him would you? There, you guys can talk about him, here we want to plan a petition against him. If you don't agree, thats fine, but this isn't the place to tell us about it.

LtLisa
July 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM
oh, Suekay...I have a message too:

I do not like Pete; he has nothing to do with Stargate (other than being Sam's boyfriend) yet he's everywhere in the show now. I don't like how his presence and actions have (in my eyes) destroyed my favorite character Sam Carter. This in no way is a statement about the actor; my problem is with the character. I truly feel that the character is ruining this once phenomenal show and I'm not happy with it. I don't want the show to focus on ship to the exclusion of everything else and thats what I feel the Sam/Pete relationship is doing. Yes, I want Sam and Jack together, but thats not the only reason I love and watch Stargate.

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM
A common misconception. The truth is, Daniel Jackson is back on the show because TPTB wanted him back, and MS wanted to come back. It was a mutual agreement which had little or nothing to do with fan input. And if you think this is unlikely, then keep in mind that season 6 - the first season after Daniel left - had extremely high viewer ratings.
I may be a "Common Misconception" but MGM & SciFi are the ones that put the ads on that said "You asked for it and we are giving it to you".

Ugly Pig
July 12th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I may be a "Common Misconception" but MGM & SciFi are the ones that put the ads on that said "You asked for it and we are giving it to you".
Of course they did. No matter what actually happened behind the scenes, how could the marketing people pass on an opportunity to suck up to the fans?

stargate barbie
July 12th, 2004, 02:37 PM
hey add me to the patition. i've sent you a PM with my name etc.
at this rate i'd settle for pete to just be gone please. the best way i can think of to do that is to put her with jack.

Ugly Pig
July 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Since this is obviously an anti-Pete petition, why is the title of the thread "Shippy petition"? It's not neccessarily the same thing...

shelsfc
July 12th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I've already stated that I like Pete as person and as a means to make Sam happy, given the current circumstances, however...

IF PETE PROPOSES TO SAM, I MIGHT HAVE TO HURT SOMEONE!!!!!!!!

I don't mind Pete proposing, it's her answer I'm worried about! I quite like the character, and I adore DDL, but if Sam ends up with Pete instead of Jack....:mad:

stargate barbie
July 12th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I don't mind Pete proposing, it's her answer I'm worried about! I quite like the character, and I adore DDL, but if Sam ends up with Pete instead of Jack....:mad:
i completely agree with everything you just said except for liking the character, which i did for the first bit of chimera, until he screwed up and turned into a k**b. sorry i juat can't stop the rage at the mo'.
and i'm very worried about her answer

jex_piperUK
July 12th, 2004, 03:11 PM
It's about time the writers made Sam lust after someone other than Jack. It was disgusting...he's in his 50's for god's sake...talk about making me gag. TPTB obssession with the Jack/Sam storyline was pissing me off to no end.

shelsfc
July 12th, 2004, 03:46 PM
i completely agree with everything you just said except for liking the character, which i did for the first bit of chimera, until he screwed up and turned into a k**b. sorry i juat can't stop the rage at the mo'.
and i'm very worried about her answer

I'm a lot more worried about it now, since I've read the interview with DDL on Gateworld. It looks like he'll be in another one or two episodes, including the one CJ is writing. He said he could possibly be getting married or dying. And when he first appeared, TPTB were quite insistent that he wouldn't be dying.... :S

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 12th, 2004, 04:44 PM
It's about time the writers made Sam lust after someone other than Jack. It was disgusting...he's in his 50's for god's sake...talk about making me gag. TPTB obssession with the Jack/Sam storyline was pissing me off to no end.
And Sam is in her late 30's. Obviously you are a young person because as you get older the difference in ages doesn't seem to bother MOST people as much. My parents were 21 years apart in age and there was nothing bothersome about it. ;)

sueKay
July 12th, 2004, 04:51 PM
There's 11 years between my parents, and they were older than average firs-time parents when I was born.

Who cares if Sam's only in her late thirties. Who cares if Jack's gonna be fifty two on the twentieth of october '04. (everybody asks how does she know that?)

Age should not serve as a barrier to true love.

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 12th, 2004, 04:57 PM
There's 11 years between my parents, and they were older than average firs-time parents when I was born.

Who cares if Sam's only in her late thirties. Who cares if Jack's gonna be fifty two on the twentieth of october '04. (everybody asks how does she know that?)

Exactly. Heck I am older that my hubby and it doesn't bother me at all. There was a time in my life when I wouldn't have dreamed of dating someone younger much less marrying them.

P.S....I have spread the word about your petition so hopefully you will be getting many more names to add to it. ;)

Teal'c
July 12th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I don't want Sam and Pete to get married, as I feel it would mess with the show, but I'm seeing the good side of it: Shippers blowing their tops :P

Congratulations, you crazy shippers have completely driven away any part of me that used to like Sam/Jack ship. Pete all the way!!! *runs off to find Shadow to launch a Pete campaign bigger than SciFi's Atlantis advertising*

dipsofjazz
July 12th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Methinks you must be a youngster!! To us oldies, age is not a problem! :p

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 12th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I don't want Sam and Pete to get married, as I feel it would mess with the show, but I'm seeing the good side of it: Shippers blowing their tops :P

Congratulations, you crazy shippers have completely driven away any part of me that used to like Sam/Jack ship. Pete all the way!!! *runs off to find Shadow to launch a Pete campaign bigger than SciFi's Atlantis advertising*
Why are we anymore crazy than previous groups of this fandom? Because we want to send a petition? We have played nice and look where it has gotten us....a Stalker who masquerades as a "Nice Guy".

Anthro Girl
July 12th, 2004, 05:17 PM
It was disgusting...he's in his 50's for god's sake...talk about making me gag.
Hey...I resemble that remark. :mad: :p Well, not me exactly, but my husband might take offense. ;)

Chevron 1
July 12th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Age has nothing to do with it! Chemistry does.

To use a Farscapism, frankly, Jack has a heck of a lot more frelling chemistry with Sam that Pete ever will! And I haven't seen one episode with Pete yet!

COUNT ME IN!

Chris B. / 27 / United States

SG1Poz
July 12th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Ahh, I don't know if you've been up-dated yet but in case you haven't, J.Mallozzi left a post #721 at the shipper thread. I think it's page 37-38 Very interesting!! Plus he probably checked in here too!

Sg-1Poz

Catysg1
July 13th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Well he 's a bit older than her ...but men of that age can be sexy still and Jack is very sexy and Sam thinks so too ...her true love ....and CHEMISTRY , TRUST..RESPECT is the most important anyway....and Jack does all that for Sam.

Pete is a little Bratt....who does not know how to treat a lady ..leaving her like he did the morning after . :eek: plus other things I would not mention....he is a bad crush...and he's much too young for her in his maturity...he needs to ripe if he wants a woman like Sam ..At the moment ..I would give him a young girl in her early 20's . :p but definitely NOT a 30 + year old woman ..He can't handle it :p

ps ..to the one handling the petition ....
I already sent you a e-mail...

Caty ;) ;) ;) Proud to be a Sam and Jack shipper ..... ;)

GateGipsy
July 13th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Play nice folks. Regardless of whether someone's viewpoint agrees with your's or not, you should still treat them with respect - the same respect you would expect your views to be treated with.

Remember we have a rule here - no negative personal comments about other posters/cast/crew. That includes groups of people too OK?

There is nothing in the opening post of this thread to restrict the discussion to just those that are anti-pete. If you're pro-pete you're just as entitled to be in this thread and put your view point across.

By all means disagree with someone's viewpoint if you want - that's what a forum is for.

But please, don't start having a go at people because they have that viewpoint. That's not fair, not nice, and not the way to have an adult discussion.

the dancer of spaz
July 13th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Ahh, I don't know if you've been up-dated yet but in case you haven't, J.Mallozzi left a post #721 at the shipper thread. I think it's page 37-38 Very interesting!! Plus he probably checked in here too!

Sg-1Poz

That is really, really cool. If that doesn't prove that The Powers (specifically him) go on this site regularly, nothing else will.

So... what's with the rest of the pics on Gateworld? They look like some crime-fighting couple in the pic after the *gulp* proposal. What's that about? I'm kinda confused. This ep seems like it's gonna have three different plots (almost like Chimera). I don't mind multiple plots, because the show is pretty good at pulling them off - I was just wondering what the deal is. Was it like "Marry me, Sam," and she was like, "[insert answer of choice], however we have to go kick some butt, first," or what?

Sorry. I guess that was my lame attempt at bringing some levity to the convo. Pete's a good guy, and I think most of that is because the actor is so nice, as well. If he was a jerk, I think Pete might come off as a jerk, as well. Anywho, maybe JMallozzi (sp?) is right, and we shouldn't all jump to conclusions. Maybe he won't die, but maybe they won't get married either.

A girl can hope, can't she? :D

Nolamom
July 13th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Play nice folks. [snip] But please, don't start having a go at people because they have that viewpoint. That's not fair, not nice, and not the way to have an adult discussion.
Thank you for the gentle reminder. Sometimes folks get so passionate that they forget.

Stargate Agent
July 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Pete is way better for Sam than Jack. HAHAHAHHA I said it!!!! Blasphemy eh!!!!?? MUAHHAHAHAHAHHA

Ace
July 13th, 2004, 09:39 AM

LOL Sign me up for that one! :D

Ace

Edit: Just to be clear I meant sign me up for Teal'c's Pete campaign and not this one. No offense ;)

Basie
July 13th, 2004, 11:00 AM

If your really serious about it, everyone should take the time to write their own letters. As someone menioned, petitions never work for various reasons. Besides that, simply slapping your name onto someone else's letter gives the impression you don't really care that much since you're too lazy to write your own.

That said, good luck.

TameFarrar
July 13th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Play nice folks. Regardless of whether someone's viewpoint agrees with your's or not, you should still treat them with respect - the same respect you would expect your views to be treated with.

Remember we have a rule here - no negative personal comments about other posters/cast/crew. That includes groups of people too OK?

There is nothing in the opening post of this thread to restrict the discussion to just those that are anti-pete. If you're pro-pete you're just as entitled to be in this thread and put your view point across.

By all means disagree with someone's viewpoint if you want - that's what a forum is for.

But please, don't start having a go at people because they have that viewpoint. That's not fair, not nice, and not the way to have an adult discussion.

Thanks for that reminder..... I hope it is read by those who are posting here

Emily_Auriele
July 13th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Hi! :)
Count me in, please!!! :)
Stephanie/16/Austria

EmilyAuriele ;)

sueKay
July 13th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I've added everybody to the petition who has stated they want added.

Mr Malozzi. Thankyou for taking thetime to post at the Jack/Sam ship thread. You've went a long way to calming the fans' fears. Don't worry - this Gater will be watching season eight!!!

Suz

(40 names so far!) not bad for a day or so!

joshing123
July 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM
If your really serious about it, everyone should take the time to write their own letters.

I do both! Individual letters may be better, but I don't think it hurts to do both of them.

Catysg1
July 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Mr Malozzi. Thankyou for taking thetime to post at the Jack/Sam ship thread. You've went a long way to calming the fans' fears. Don't worry - this Gater will be watching season eight!!!

Suz

Did you put my name ? ;) Thank you ;)

caty :)

SNY
July 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Count me in too!

Sonia Palomar Marquez (20) Madrid (Spain)

SNY

carter_oneill
July 13th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Hi, can you put my name on the list
thanks
carter_oneill

SG1Poz
July 13th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Suz

Hey Suz, Can we read this petition? It may intice shippers to de-lurk and sign it. I'd prefer to read how you'll be wording it before signing on to it. Nothing against you but I'd read a contract with my mother before signing it Thanks.

SG-1Poz

Buc252
July 13th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Hey. Everybody including myself is happy that Daniel Jackson is back on the show. It was fan campaigning that got him back on the show. If you support this petition, then post. I f you don't, then do what you'd do with TPTB, and keep quiet!

Not "everybody" is happy that DJ is back, cause I'm not. (I wouldn't have minded if it hadn't cost us Jonas, who I liked much better.)

However, TPTB at SG only seem interested in the opinions of *certain* fan groups, not all of us. In my view, they don't give a tinkers darn if the shippers are happy or not.

Just MO.

- Mary :-)

Jadestar9
July 13th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I would love for Jack and Sam to be together....but alas that is only to be in fanfic. :(

After watching the Pete scenes in New Order and peeking at the "Affinity" pictures...Jack and Sam are forever over.

I'm still wondering if I can handle that. I guess I will know after the episode airs.

Actually I'm really irritated about it! :mad: Considering they really led us on for all of these years.

NG.1
July 14th, 2004, 12:15 AM
To original poster -

Please add my name too. I think it may already be added to your original e-mail, but just in case.

My name is Naliza Geldenhuys
I'm 27 years old and from South Africa
I've spent a lot of money ordering DVD's from Brittian and now I can't help but wonder for what?

sueKay
July 14th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Did you put my name ? ;) Thank you ;)

caty :)

yes Caty - you're on the petition. Please get every J/S shipper you know to sign it. I've got fifty names now, but I'll need more!

I'm wanting the petition to get to TPTB on the 28th - Shipper Day!!

sueKay
July 14th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Hey Suz, Can we read this petition? It may intice shippers to de-lurk and sign it. I'd prefer to read how you'll be wording it before signing on to it. Nothing against you but I'd read a contract with my mother before signing it Thanks.

SG-1Poz

I've posted the letter that I'm sending on the Jack/Sam shipper thread. It's between pages 25 and 30 (I think)

Heres the actual petition (which is still in progress)

NAME AGE LOCATION COMMENTS EMAIL ADDRESS
Trisha DePriest 30 USA
Rachael Farrimond 18 England
Lisa 21 USA
Joseph 23 USA
Beverley 44 Scotland
Stephanie Clarke 32 USA
Lisa Ide 30 USA
Becky Truitt Not Provided USA
Robin Truitt Not Provided USA
Dave 33 England
Cora 22 Ireland
Thalassa 35 Brazil I didn't waste that much money buying DVD's to see Sam and Jack not getting together Natasha 18 UK
Rebecca Ratcliff 44 Ohio USA
Mary M Kleinsmith Not Provided Not Provided SG1 needs it's fifth man! Why should we settle for less? Jack O'Neill would die for any member his team, but there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter
Lesley Myrtle 48 England
Naliza Geldenhuys27 South Africa
Shirley Legree 45 Canada
Eddie Moy 21 USA afta 7 seasons/years (not including the 8th season) of subtle looks,
touches, and eps like WoO, BtS, TBD, etc. Damn straight I want Sam
and Jack together!!!!
Susan Bartsch Not Provided NYC USA
Tasha Walls 32 USA
Bren Ren Not Provided California, USA
Mary Jackson 40 USA
Cindy Vandenplas 29 Begium
Di Evans Not Provided USA
Chris B. 27 USA
Stephanie 16 Austria
'grooni' Not Provided Canada
Caty Not Provided UK, from France
Teresa Banus 46 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Jill Fitzsimmons 16 Northern Ireland
Rebecca J 32 USA

Tracey Bowen Not Provided Homestead, FL
Marrisa Carley 15 USA
Linda Not Provided Not Provided Hail Dorothy! Sonia Palomar Marquez
20 Madrid Spain

Sorry I know it's a mess! But it's taken from a table, so I can't help it!

GateGipsy
July 14th, 2004, 04:27 AM
However, TPTB at SG only seem interested in the opinions of *certain* fan groups, not all of us.
I do agree, but only if you replace '*certain* fan groups' with 'ratings'.

At the end of the day it is the only thing that matters to them, because that is how they get their advertising and make their money. And Stargate is their product, as much as Herbal Essences Shampoo is Clairol's product.

There was no reason, ratings-wise, for them to replace Jonas with Daniel. Season Six did very well in the ratings. And bringing Daniel back didn't hurt the ratings either - it still did well in season 7. I can see why, since IMO Jonas was a potentially good character, and so is Daniel. Like Sue and many other viewers, I'm thrilled that Daniel is back. I'm also bitterly disappointed that they got rid of Jonas. It isn't an either/or situation.

However, ship is a bit different - it changes existing characters in a fundamental way. And one of those existing characters is the 'star' of the show. TPTB will be more reticent about making that sort of change. Unless they can be nearly 100 percent sure that it wouldn't hurt their ratings.

Which is where letters come in. I agree with a previous poster - emails and internet petitions don't hold weight. What really counts are the letters people have taken time to write and post in.

So if you are pro-Pete or anti-Pete, that is how you should let TPTB know. Politely and with respect, please.

But do remember that TPTB also have an eye on the demographic they really want because it is the demographic that the advertisers lust after. The 18 to 25 young male market. And ship isn't going to appeal to that market - it may even turn them off.

That is a far more likely reason that TPTB will choose not to go with ship.

I am rather disconcerted by the trend towards a levelling of 'blame' for lack of ship at the door of a group of fans who support a different aspect of the show. That it is their 'fault' because a) TPTB only listen to them or b) they've turned the TPTB off listening to any fans at all. That sounds divisive to me, and a disservice to most of the fans here at GateWorld, who I know are often both pro Daniel and pro Jonas, or pro Daniel and pro Ship, or Prop Pete and Prop Ship, or anti-ship, anti Daniel, pro Jonas... You know what I mean!

People don't fit so easily into one particular group, and it disturbs me when people use broad brush strokes, such as all Daniel fans are anti-Jonas, or that if you're Pro-Pete then you must be Anti-Ship.

sueKay
July 14th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Gate Gipsy -

Thanks for putting sense into these message boards. I think we're all feeling the tension at the mo.

GateGipsy
July 14th, 2004, 05:32 AM
I think we're all feeling the tension at the mo.
That's understandable, that's what happens when you're dealing with the unknown. It is extremely frustrating when you have an aspect of the show that is deeply important to you, that you've invested in emotionally, and you are left not knowing if it will ever appear on the show again.

Often, when faced with deep uncertaintly, normally moderate people will hit out and react in extreme ways. It affects everyone differently, but it is important to not let it affect the way you interact with the fandom. I know from experience that sort of thing can almost destroy any enjoyment fans get from a show, as they get so caught up with negativity in the fandom.

Catysg1
July 14th, 2004, 05:37 AM
yes Caty - you're on the petition. Please get every J/S shipper you know to sign it. I've got fifty names now, but I'll need more!

I'm wanting the petition to get to TPTB on the 28th - Shipper Day!!

ok I write a post in the Yahoo sam and Jack site and give your e-mail addy ...ok

caty ;)

Catysg1
July 14th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Ok I went ahead and I posted about 20 of the same post PETITION SAMANDJACKTOGETHER ..PLEASE SIGN..... at Yahoo sam and jack site ;)

Will add more in a few hours . ;)

estelle
July 14th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Hi,

I sent you a PM with my name, country and age; you can add me to all petititions that support Sam/Jack and also to those that are anti-Pete in any way.

Cheers Estelle
*still totally frustrated and angry*

Send Pete to Edora
July 14th, 2004, 07:08 AM
I´ve a problem with my mailbox so I´ll post here. :D

Steffi, 19, Germany, Send Pete to Edora - Ba'al right after him and bury the gate! ;)

Great idea for that petition! :)

Steffi ~ A Shipper on mission *weg*

Send Pete to Edora
July 14th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Ok I went ahead and I posted about 20 of the same post PETITION SAMANDJACKTOGETHER ..PLEASE SIGN..... at Yahoo sam and jack site ;)

Will add more in a few hours . ;)

Don´t add more, caty!! You´ve posted 20 about them ...people are getting really annoyed because one would´ve been more than enough! :D They´re getting your message like 20 times now and it´s like Spam ...you better go there and apologize and explain why you posted 20 of the same messages! :D I´m trying to calm them already ... ;)

Steffi ~ A Shipper on Mission *weg*

Nolamom
July 14th, 2004, 07:19 AM
People don't fit so easily into one particular group, and it disturbs me when people use broad brush strokes, such as all Daniel fans are anti-Jonas, or that if you're Pro-Pete then you must be Anti-Ship.
Folks are far more complex than all white, all black, all yellow, all red, all blue - more likely they are grey, or orange, or green... a mixture of different perspectives.

GateGipsy
July 14th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Folks are far more complex than all white, all black, all yellow, all red, all blue - more likely they are grey, or orange, or green... a mixture of different perspectives.
well yes, except of course Green is so very very wrong, and Blue is right, on so many levels.

**smacks self for going off topic**

Nolamom
July 14th, 2004, 07:33 AM
well yes, except of course Green is so very very wrong, and Blue is right, on so many levels.

**smacks self for going off topic**
HAHAHA! I momentarily forgot about the whole blue/green thing...mea culpa!

The real point was that primary colours are very limiting - they don't allow for the myriad "shades" and "tones" of the rainbow of fandom.

Token
July 14th, 2004, 08:04 AM
I do agree, but only if you replace '*certain* fan groups' with 'ratings'.

At the end of the day it is the only thing that matters to them, because that is how they get their advertising and make their money. And Stargate is their product, as much as Herbal Essences Shampoo is Clairol's product.

There was no reason, ratings-wise, for them to replace Jonas with Daniel. Season Six did very well in the ratings. And bringing Daniel back didn't hurt the ratings either - it still did well in season 7. I can see why, since IMO Jonas was a potentially good character, and so is Daniel. Like Sue and many other viewers, I'm thrilled that Daniel is back. I'm also bitterly disappointed that they got rid of Jonas. It isn't an either/or situation.
Your right. Stargate is a product, and everyone is going to have different opinions on said product. If someone is unhappy with a product, the only way to affect change is to let your dissatisfaction be respectfully known to the makers of the product. I personally didn't get involved in the Daniel debate because it didn't affect my enjoyment of the show.

However, ship is a bit different - it changes existing characters in a fundamental way. And one of those existing characters is the 'star' of the show. TPTB will be more reticent about making that sort of change. Unless they can be nearly 100 percent sure that it wouldn't hurt their ratings.

Which is where letters come in. I agree with a previous poster - emails and internet petitions don't hold weight. What really counts are the letters people have taken time to write and post in.

So if you are pro-Pete or anti-Pete, that is how you should let TPTB know. Politely and with respect, please.
Ship between major character is different. TPTB have not completely done away with ship for the characters (Laura, Ish'ta, Hathor ;) ). I can understand their hesitancy, but I think most S/J shippers just want TPTB to finish a storyline that TPTB started. For me, finished either way. Either kill the ship or resolve it. I also agree that written letters will have a bigger impact maybe even phone calls to MGM.

But do remember that TPTB also have an eye on the demographic they really want because it is the demographic that the advertisers lust after. The 18 to 25 young male market. And ship isn't going to appeal to that market - it may even turn them off.

That is a far more likely reason that TPTB will choose not to go with ship.
My disagreement with this statement is that if ship is going to turn off that demographic then why are TPTB forcing that demographic to watch the Sam and Pete ship. Ship is Ship, and right now there is a whole lot of ship. I just want Sam and Jack ship. :)

I am rather disconcerted by the trend towards a levelling of 'blame' for lack of ship at the door of a group of fans who support a different aspect of the show. That it is their 'fault' because a) TPTB only listen to them or b) they've turned the TPTB off listening to any fans at all. That sounds divisive to me, and a disservice to most of the fans here at GateWorld, who I know are often both pro Daniel and pro Jonas, or pro Daniel and pro Ship, or Prop Pete and Prop Ship, or anti-ship, anti Daniel, pro Jonas... You know what I mean!

True. Fans should not criticize each other. We should just agree to disagree. I'm glad the fans impacted the return of Daniel. That gives me hope that S/J fans can impact the show. Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion without criticism. That is one aspect of the Shipper Thread I love. We can have different opinions and still be a supportive, encouraging family of fans.

Nolamom
July 14th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion without criticism.
Fortunately, the shipper fans tend to stay on the threads FOR ship, the non-shipper fans tend to post on the NO ship threads. That way, there is less possibility of being required to respect conflicting opinions. Somehow I think that if there was a single thread there might be a nuclear meltdown...

GateGipsy
July 14th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Somehow I think that if there was a single thread there might be a nuclear meltdown...
In the Delphi GateWorld forum we had just that thread. It was lively, and the debate got heated at times, but it never went into nuclear meltdown. Some people got a different perspective that helped change their view point, some people changed their view points entirely, and some people didn't alter their view points at all. But it was for the most part a civilised and extremely long thread.

One thing I've learned is to never underestimate those that post on GateWorld. No matter how far apart they might be in terms of viewpoints, the vast majority of regulars are always respectful of what another person might say even if they disagree vehemently.

sueKay
July 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM
I've got people's email addresses, which will be added to the petition when I send it away.

I only put the list online, as many people wanted to see it.

SNY
July 14th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Hey Suz, when are you going to send the petition? Because I'm making a little campaign here in Spain to get more names... ;)

SNY

Teal'c
July 14th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Why are we anymore crazy than previous groups of this fandom? Because we want to send a petition? We have played nice and look where it has gotten us....a Stalker who masquerades as a "Nice Guy".
Hey, I'm not saying you're the only crazy group, I don't think anyone could ever out-crazy them, back in their day :P And you don't want to cross those Thor/Heimdall shippers! :P

But, I've just thought of a new thread to make now...

stargate barbie
July 14th, 2004, 07:57 PM
refering to a few posts made earlier,
i'm in my early twenties, and i don't see any issue with an age difference. i think if thats the sole reason for a particular pairing is seen as disgusting, then thats just a simple sign of immaturity. even I could think of better reasons why sam and jack shouldn't happen. my opinion on this even stands for those who see a problem with sam and pete having a relationship due to a percieved age difference.
the fact remains though, that none of us know for certain what the actual ages of those involved are. sam could be in her late forties for all we know, and just look very young for her age. just because someone looks to be a certain age, doesn't mean they actually are that age.
on review, these posts should probably all be in the ship discussion thread. :)

and teal'c, did you just call us crazy? isn't that a bit like the pot and kettle senario? :P also, who is "them"?

Isis
July 15th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Please can you add my name to the petition?

Name Tricia
Country England
Age over 40

Can we make sure TPTB understand that we in no way mean any disrespect to any actor or writer on Stargate. That we feel the way the storyline appears to be going is causing distress among a large section of their fan base. Also if their plan is to have what we would call a positive resolution to the Sam and jack storyline the publicity and the way they are pushing Sam and Pete is also damaging

trinity1013
July 15th, 2004, 05:19 AM
1) What makes you think that sending a petition will not end up in them doing exactly the opposite of what you want? They love to play with the audience/fans and as I see it that's just another way of keeping us hooked up.

2) What makes you think Pete's proposal will end the S&J ship? In fact, it might even be the other way around and I'm pretty sure that's the purpose of it: to heighten the tension/excitement.

To achieve this, driving fans crazy is just a means to this end. I won't go hysterical until the wedding is over.

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Btw, why are you gonna send it? They've soon filmed all of season 8, there's no time to change anything, unless there's a season9.

sueKay
July 15th, 2004, 07:09 AM
I'm not trying to change their minds, I just want TPTB to know the fan's point of view.

I'm not going to be forceful, because I know that that can do more harm than good.

As for why I'm sending a petition...

As someone stated a few posts ago, Stargate is a product. If you bought something from the supermarket you were not happy with, you would let the shop or the manufacturer know what the problem was. In my view, this is no different. But that's just my personal opinion.

Ugly Pig
July 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I'm not trying to change their minds, I just want TPTB to know the fan's point of view.
What's the point? They are well aware of the fans' point of view.

As someone stated a few posts ago, Stargate is a product. If you bought something from the supermarket you were not happy with, you would let the shop or the manufacturer know what the problem was. In my view, this is no different. But that's just my personal opinion.
But it is different. Sure, Stargate is a product... But it's also entertainment. Art, if you will. It's also a story. A story told to us, by the writers. Not the other way around.

TameFarrar
July 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
My question would be to all of those that don't like the petition idea because they think it is useless to waste the time is why are you bothering then to post here. Why are you bothering to TRY and CHANGE OTHER peoples minds that THINK it IS WORTHWHILE. If YOU (general you) DON'T LIKE IT FINE. But why give grief to those fans that want to do it. How is it hurting you or your fandom????

It is THEIR TIME. How is it bothering you ?? How is it affecting your life?? If you think TPTB aren't even going to bother reading it then why are you even trying to stop it. This makes no sense to me. If this is how some of the fans of SG want to express their dissaticfaction with a storyline then why not?? It is their choice, their time, their effort. In no way is anyone demanding that everyone sign it. In no way is anyone demanding that ALL be part of it. This was a nice and respectful request made to poeple wanting to be on a petition.

And somehow it got made into this debate. Amazing.

Ugly Pig
July 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
My question would be to all of those that don't like the petition idea because they think it is useless to waste the time is why are you bothering then to post here. Why are you bothering to TRY and CHANGE OTHER peoples minds that THINK it IS WORTHWHILE. If YOU (general you) DON'T LIKE IT FINE. But why give grief to those fans that want to do it. How is it hurting you or your fandom????
For the record (since I get the distinct feeling this is directed at me), I am not trying to change anyones mind or ruin anyones "fun". I was merely trying to point out that TPTB are very much aware of how the fans (in this case, shuppers) feel. I said this because I got the impression not everyone is aware of it. And, since people keep referring to Stargate as "a product" in this thread I felt I should point out what I perceive to be the difference. I'll be moving right along now.

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Can I get a refund on SG1? :D

TameFarrar
July 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
For the record (since I get the distinct feeling this is directed at me), I am not trying to change anyones mind or ruin anyones "fun". I was merely trying to point out that TPTB are very much aware of how the fans (in this case, shuppers) feel. I said this because I got the impression not everyone is aware of it. And, since people keep referring to Stargate as "a product" in this thread I felt I should point out what I perceive to be the difference. I'll be moving right along now.
No it wasn't directed at you pesonally...you were just one in the many posts here that seemed to be so against these people doing this. I was just amazed that it would become a *debatable* point. I never thought anyone was trying to have *fun*

SaharaGate
July 15th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I've posted the letter that I'm sending on the Jack/Sam shipper thread. It's between pages 25 and 30 (I think)

I would like to read the petition too.

I'm still *really* irritated that I got spoiled on this one. In fact, irritated doesn't begin to describe it lol.

Could you possibly re-post it here where it is relevant?

I don't want to go searching through the shipper thread. I am too scared I'll get spoiled again. But now that the damage is done, I guess I may as well consider signing it.

I think the biggest obstacle to this petition will be the fact that it is based on a spoiler. There are a lot of shippers out there who probably don't read spoilers, and don't want to know any spoilers.

Otis
July 16th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Count me in for signing this particular petition. I saw the pics and freaked. Of course, it could all be a plot device where she's just "imagining".

Catysg1
July 16th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Count me in for signing this particular petition. I saw the pics and freaked. Of course, it could all be a plot device where she's just "imagining".

Yes or it's simply Sam the replicator ..who 's meeting Pete on the bench ....and he's talking to the wrong person...lol...that would be extremely funny ...would love to see that ...Stargate related alright .... :D

Ps: And the real Sam is with jack ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sueKay
July 16th, 2004, 10:22 AM
here's the petition letter

Dear SG1 Production/Writing Staff,

I am writing on behalf of a large number of fans and myself, with regards to the ongoing story arc between Brigadier General Jack O'Neill and Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter.

Before I began to regularly Stargate SG1, I was a regular viewer and fan of another science-fiction show - Star Trek Voyager. This show had a similar - but less prominent - story arc between two characters, namely Captain Kathryn Janeway and Commander Chakotay. While this may not seem relevant, I'd like to point out some similarities between the two storylines.

The writers of the show played with this storyline, and it seemed at times that the two characters would 'get together'. Fans ran similar plans and petitions, to those of SG1, but the writers decided not to resolve the story. This embittered many fans, and many 'Shippers' have now dubbed the show's finale 'Endshame'

The decision not to provide closure or a resolution to this storyline are - in part - responsible for many fans not showing interest in either the DVD releases or the spin-off - Enterprise.

I cite this example in order to make a valid point. The writers have to listen to the fans, in order to preserve the show's general well being. Don't make the same mistake as the people at Paramount did - You're all a lot more intelligent than that!

Up until a few months ago, I was only a casual viewer of Stargate SG1. Even then, the on-screen chemistry between O'Neill and Carter was prominent. I see the relationship as good thing, as ultimately it humanises the characters, and makes them more believable.

Before I myself became a Shipper, I looked around online in order to get a deeper insight into the workings of the show, and the general opinion of the fans. Not to my surprise, I found that the overwhelming majority of viewers wanted to see the Jack/Sam relationship move up a gear, i.e. to become romantic.

In recent months, it seems to me that the writing staff have been disregarding the fan's wishes in this matter, This has been personified by the arrival of the character Pete Shanahan. I know that the majority of staff at Bridge studios like the character - and the fans love David DeLuise - but it seems to me that the audience (on a whole) have not jelled with the character.

I apologise if this letter sounds like a rant, but I myself and other fans are slightly frustrated with the whole Jack/Sam scenario. My fellow shippers and I would like to know if you'd like to review your stance on the story arc. If not, we would like some sort of statement telling us what will be happening, so that we can either know what's to come, or breathe a huge collective sigh of relief.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you for giving us such a gripping and enthralling series to watch (this is certainly the first television programme I've written in to!). No matter what happens, I will be watching season eight.

Yours faithfully

Susan Dailey (16, Scotland)

sueKay
July 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Oh!

Petition's up to 79 names!!!!!
:)

SaharaGate
July 18th, 2004, 05:37 PM
here's the petition letter

SNIP SNIP

The decision not to provide closure or a resolution to this storyline are - in part - responsible for many fans not showing interest in either the DVD releases or the spin-off - Enterprise.

I cite this example in order to make a valid point. The writers have to listen to the fans, in order to preserve the show's general well being. Don't make the same mistake as the people at Paramount did - You're all a lot more intelligent than that!

SNIP SNIP

Before I myself became a Shipper, I looked around online in order to get a deeper insight into the workings of the show, and the general opinion of the fans. Not to my surprise, I found that the overwhelming majority of viewers wanted to see the Jack/Sam relationship move up a gear, i.e. to become romantic.

SNIP

Firstly, congrats on a well written letter! Your english is better than some uni students I hang out with!

As a shipper, I agree with this in part. But I'm not sure that we really are an 'overwhelming majority'. A majority...maybe. But not overwhelming because there are plenty of people who either don't care either way or are firmly against the ship.

I think it is fine to express our opinion to the powers, but I'm not sure this isn't worded in a rather demanding way. In the end, the decision is theirs and they are not responsible to us, they are responsible to MGM, to the characters they created, to the bottom line and, finally, to their own ideas of where they want this arc to go. And they aren't stupid for thinking this way (as you may not realise this letter kind of implies...). I think we (the fans, not just shippers) are pretty lucky that the powers are so aware of our existence lol. They know about this forum, they seem well aware of the uproar about Pete. They know which episodes bombed and triumphed in the fans opinions...that is, they don't just rely on ratings alone to tell them this stuff. I think that is more than can be said for a lot of shows.
So for me, saying:

"My fellow shippers and I would like to know if you'd like to review your stance on the story arc"

is a little strong.

If not, we would like some sort of statement telling us what will be happening, so that we can either know what's to come, or breathe a huge collective sigh of relief.

Asking for an answer once and for all is also unlikely to happen. The whole point of the S/J ship, of any story arc, is to keep the fans guessing. If they let the cat out of the bag now, they would just divide the fandom further and probably make matters worse.

I'm as irritated as anyone about those photos, but I'm sure we are supposed to be annoyed lol. I still harbour hope that the series isn't going to end that way. Don't forget we are supposed to be seeing a lot more of Jack at the beginning and end of the season and not much in the middle. ;) So I'm not panicked. Yet.

So I'm still tossing up about whether to sign it or not.

Don't think I'm trying to bash your letter or anything...it really is very good. It's just that if I'm going to sign a petition, it should reflect my opinion and this is a little strong for me.

LtLisa
July 19th, 2004, 03:09 PM
can we mention what Pete is doing to Sam's character? how she's no longer the strong, independent smart person she was once portrayed as?

sueKay
July 19th, 2004, 03:39 PM
can we mention what Pete is doing to Sam's character? how she's no longer the strong, independent smart person she was once portrayed as?

I'll try to incorporate that point into the letter.

In the meantime, here's a revised version of the letter, which I had beta'ed.

I am writing on behalf of a large number of fans and myself, with regards to the ongoing story arc between Brigadier General Jack O'Neill and Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter.

Before I began to regularly watch Stargate SG1, I was a regular viewer and fan of another science-fiction show - Star Trek Voyager. This show had a similar - but less prominent - story arc between two characters, namely Captain Kathryn Janeway and Commander Chakotay. While this may not seem relevant, I'd like to point out some similarities between the two storylines.

The writers of Voyager incorporated this thread into several episodes, and it seemed at times that the two characters would 'get together.' Fans ran similar letter campaigns and petitions, to those taking place in SG-1 fandom now, but in the end the Voyager writers decided to end the plot arc. Many of Voyager's fans were upset by this decision. Their disappointment was in part responsible for their loss of interest in the entire Star Trek franchise.

I cite this example only to draw attention to the similarities. I am confident that no matter how the Stargate SG-1 writers choose to resolve the O'Neill-Carter subplot, they will take into account the feelings of all the various groups of SG-1 fandom. Agree or disagree, up until just recently the SG-1 writers have always at least listened to the fans' opinions, and for that we are grateful.

The writers of Voyager incorporated this thread into several episodes, and it seemed at times that the two characters would 'get together.' Fans ran similar letter campaigns and petitions, to those taking place in SG-1 fandom now, but in the end the Voyager writers decided to end the plot arc. Many of Voyager's fans were upset by this decision. Their disappointment was in part responsible for their loss of interest in the entire Star Trek franchise.

I cite this example only to draw attention to the similarities. I am confident that no matter how the Stargate SG-1 writers choose to resolve the O'Neill-Carter subplot, they will take into account the feelings of all the various groups of SG-1 fandom. Agree or disagree, up until just recently the SG-1 writers have always at least listened to the fans' opinions, and for that we are grateful.

Up until a few months ago, I was only a casual viewer of Stargate SG1. Even then, the on-screen chemistry between O'Neill and Carter was prominent. I see the relationship as good thing, as ultimately it humanises the characters, and makes them more believable.

Within recent months, a similarly disappointing situation has arisen on Stargate SG-1, in the form of the introduction of the character Pete Shanahan. I know that the majority of staff at Bridge Studio like the character--and the fans love David DeLuise--but it seems to me that the audience (on a whole) have not jelled with the character.

I apologise if this letter sounds like a rant, but I myself and other fans are slightly frustrated with the whole Jack/Sam scenario. My fellow shippers and I would like to know if you'd like to review your stance on the story arc. If not, we would like some sort of statement telling us what will be happening, so that we can either know what's to come, or breathe a huge collective sigh of relief.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you for giving us such a gripping and enthralling series to watch (this is certainly the first television programme I've written in to!). No matter what happens, I will be watching season eight.

Yours faithfully

Susan Dailey (16, Scotland)

Rebecca Ratcliff (44, Ohio USA)

trinity1013
July 21st, 2004, 08:36 AM
Despite the facts that I don't (yet) see them ruining either the S&J ship or the character of Sam with Pete and therefore the petition seems somewhat unnecessary to me, I do understand that people are worried and support them voicing their opinions.

I think the petition letter it's nicely worded and I like that it draws parallels to ST: Voyager. I have to fully support Lt. Lisa in her opinion that the effect Pete has on the Sam character should be at least mentioned, if not given as a major reason for the worry of the fans (as it seems to me that it is the most prominent reason to dislike Pete).

shipper hannah
November 14th, 2004, 08:10 AM

didn't he say he was 40 in brief candle in season 1? that would make him about 47 wouldn't it?

sueKay
November 14th, 2004, 10:51 AM
didn't he say he was 40 in brief candle in season 1? that would make him about 47 wouldn't it?

Jack's official D.O.B IS

20/10/52

-Jules-
November 14th, 2004, 12:19 PM
hey SueKay! *big sigh* i'm too late aren't i??? i'm not really that much of a shipper, but all you guys need as many names as possible and well.....Julie, 14, USA! totally behind you on this Suekay, just want to let you know i support you. :)

TheHomegaMan
November 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I think Pig made an excellent point. Stargate SG-1 is a story told to, not by, the fans. What they do with the Sam/Jack or Sam/Pete ship is their choice to make, not that of the shippers. Yes, you may want to see them together, but that's not a reason to make it so. Go ahead and petition all you want, but don't bite the hand that feeds.

sueKay
November 14th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Well the petition was sent in late August with over 100 names.

Bit late to debate it to either end now.

Ah well...

Jules and Homegaman - thanks for your interest!

TheHomegaMan
November 14th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Whoops. Definitely forgot to look at the dates of the original posts. Still, who knows? Things could go either way.

sueKay
November 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I never got any feedback, but then, I wasn't expecting any. I'd rather they devoted time to writing than responding to fan mail.