• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potter's Newell Happy With PG-13

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=32990

Potter's Newell Happy With PG-13

Mike Newell, who directed the much anticipated Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, told SCI FI Wire that he is happy that the fourth installment of the 'Boy-Who-Lived' adventures has been given a PG-13 rating in the United States—a first for a Potter movie. "For me, it's not a kid's movie," Newell said in an interview in London over the weekend. "It's an adventure story and a huge entertainment. It has all the variety that a Bollywood film has."

Goblet of Fire is based on the fourth of J.K. Rowling's best-selling Potter novels, each of which has gotten progressively more mature in tone and subject matter. Speaking about the movie's darker take on the world according to Hogwarts, Newell said: "One of the challenges was that everything goes back to the book, and so the audience which began with the first one progresses through two and three, and when they get to four [they] see that it's a different kind of animal. It's a much tougher beast than the others. If you don't get a PG-13, in a way, that audience that began with book one and is now aged 14, 15, 16 or 64 will want to know why you are infantilizing the situation."

Newell added: "These are not children's books. These are kind of adult stories with a very strong moral aim in view. So with [a] PG-13 [rating] the audience can believe in them. Without it, I am not sure they can."

Newell revealed that love is in the air in the fourth movie, which centers on the growing wizard's adventures, and it's not just teenage hormones bubbling up to the surface. "You've never seen Hagrid [Robbie Coltrane], keeper of keys and grounds, in love before, and a very wonderful thing it is too," Newell said. He describes how, "in rehearsals, Hagrid and Madame Maxine [Frances de la Tour] found themselves opposite one another, and it was great to see these two giant people kind of awkward and blushing and retiring with one another. Then, suddenly, she lent forward and picked something out of his beard. We all thought, 'Isn't that wonderful?' And then, 'God help us, she ate it.' ... A tiny moment like that will keep those characters alive." Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which brings back stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint, opens Nov. 18.
    sigpic

I don't see what the big deal is about it being a PG-13, I mean, anyone who has read the book knows it's dark. People die, people are tortured, it's not kids stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the 6th and 7th book they arn't R rated. I doubt they would be since that would kill alot of the revenue, but I wouldn't be surprised considering how dark subject matter is.
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Working...
    X