This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Point Energy

While ZPM's might be in the realm of sci-fi for the time being, I would like to know what we do know about Zero Point Energy, and possible ways to harness it. Is it in the near future (0-50 yrs) or our lifetime(s)? Any/all responses will be welcomed. If anyone knows where I could go to find said information, just paste a link. I will be using the viable information in an Astrophysics presentation for college. Thanks you.
    -Kralizec

"The only truth is that the knowledge of the universe is infinite."

one word........ search

Comment

Try googling Zero point energy and vacuum energy. I've read about many methods of harnessing zero point energy, one of the more mainstream and reasonable ideas is using nanotechnology, kind of mechanic nanomills that absorb the zero point energy and transfer it somehow (I don't see how this works though, since most zero point energy is out of phase with conventional matter..). Other methods I've read about include super magnets, vacuums, some sort of radiation vacuum (Don't ask) inside a massive golden generator which creates the casimir effect, and thus you create a vacuum to empty everything but the zero point energy out and then somehow channel the zero point energy for storage.

In the realms of normal physics I don't think we will harness zero point energy, ever. The problem is that would contribute to the entropy in our system on a grand scale, and all sorts of universal issues would build up, not the mention the current spontaneity of Quantum physics..

Comment

Originally posted by Kralizec
        While ZPM's might be in the realm of sci-fi for the time being, I would like to know what we do know about Zero Point Energy, and possible ways to harness it. Is it in the near future (0-50 yrs) or our lifetime(s)? Any/all responses will be welcomed. If anyone knows where I could go to find said information, just paste a link. I will be using the viable information in an Astrophysics presentation for college. Thanks you.
        There is no way of harnessing the so-called zero point energy.
        It violates every law of thermodynamics.
        "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Thermodynamics will get over it, when it finds out how good zero point energy feels. No way, how many people have said that and been wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by JanusAncient
            Thermodynamics will get over it, when it finds out how good zero point energy feels. No way, how many people have said that and been wrong?
            Interesting...lol. Yeah if ZP energy does work out, then sure thermodynamics might be able to adjust to it. But not easily. It does actually violate every law. It would be interesting to see though.
            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

some laws were meant to be broken. never tell a human being that it cannot be done. somewhere, somehow they always find a way, even if it defies everything.
              All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
              Pay it forward

Comment

o0o00o

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Maybe I should rephrase that:
                  Nothing is impossible, only improbable.
                  If you can change the laws of improbability to probability, then it does become possible.

Pay it forward

Comment

It seems you're not fully aware of how the universe functions.
                    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

How can one argue with Spock and Data?
                      That last bit I added was from Hitch-hiker's Guide about changing the laws.
                      Granted you cannot change the laws, but various times throughout Star Trek you can hear Spock and Data talking about improbability.
                      Off the top of my head, there was an episode where Riker stated. "Impossible."
                      Data responded, "actually sir, that would be improbable."

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                        some laws were meant to be broken. never tell a human being that it cannot be done. somewhere, somehow they always find a way, even if it defies everything.
                        Haha, Sokar said it better but erm, would you ever test the laws of gravity by jumping off the Empire State Building? I can't stand people that take the "Nothing is impossible" stance.

The laws, are the laws, are the laws.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                          Haha, Sokar said it better but erm, would you ever test the laws of gravity by jumping off the Empire State Building? I can't stand people that take the "Nothing is impossible" stance.

The laws, are the laws, are the laws.
                          I would test it once someone invents a trustworthy anti-gravity device!

I do believe that somethings we think as "absolute" laws...will be proven wrong or incorrect.
                          sigpic

Comment

I agree with you completely on that, however, if someone told the Wright Brothers that flying is impossible and that the laws of physics dictate that man cannot fly, where would be if they gave up based on that logic? Granted man cannot actually fly by himself, he needs a plane to do it in, but then you could apply the same logic here.
                            Technically speaking man cannot fly, so why did the Wright Brothers continue their so called dream of insisting that man could?
                            Simply speaking, the human imagination is the source here, and if was not for people with imagination coming up with things like the light bulb, electronics, computers, airplanes, etc., then we would still be in the Stone Age right now.
                            Scientifically speaking it is a miracle we came this far.
                            "They said the world was flat, was round. They said the sound barrier could never be broken. It was broken." --STV, Sybok

Pay it forward

Comment

I agree with you completely on that, however, if someone told the Wright Brothers that flying is impossible and that the laws of physics dictate that man cannot fly, where would be if they gave up based on that logic?
                              Who knows or cares? The point is no-one of eminence was able to produce rigorous, iron-clad, irrefutable mathematical proof that humans cannot achieve flight.

Simply speaking, the human imagination is the source here, and if was not for people with imagination coming up with things like the light bulb, electronics, computers, airplanes, etc., then we would still be in the Stone Age right now.
                              You're missing one key point: none of those things are impossible. Violating thermodynamics is.

I do believe that somethings we think as "absolute" laws...will be proven wrong or incorrect.
                              Such as what things for example?
                              Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Working...
                              X