This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why dont they use lightsabers in stargate

it cant be that hard to create one at least for the ancients , asgard, or tollan or some other advanced race

Whoever owns the Star Wars franchise would probably sue. Besides, there would be a never ending stream of bad jokes about the lightsabers. You really want that?
    SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Well, in all seriousness (and besides the potential copyright infringement) Lightsabers don't look or act as effectively as a P-90. Even the staff weapons which Teal'c and the Jaffa used to use all the time have fallen a bit by the wayside and been replaced by more "human" weaponry like guns. You'll notice even Teal'c carries a gun now. I guess the staff weapon is back home in a closet somewhere.
      Last edited by Seshat; 19 October 2005, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Ah...Lightsabers the things that can go through anything but another lightsaber - is that scientifically possible?
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Aside from the fact Lucas would sue the literal pants of them, Sony, MGM and so on, it's simply a bad weapon.
          THe lightsabre is only effective on Star Wars because of the special powers of the Jedi.
          It wouldn't work in SG. But really, I like my sci-fi seperate.
          Keep the Light sabers in SW, keep the goa'uld in SG.

Comment

Originally posted by the true apothis
            it cant be that hard to create one at least for the ancients , asgard, or tollan or some other advanced race
            For the same reason we don't equip our soldiers with swords.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

It would invoke copy right and stargate might be outta business

Comment

Well if you think about it, the Staff weapon concept is pretty stupid. Have you ever seen the Jaffa trying to change targets and having to turn that huge staff, I mean a guy with a P-90 (or any rifle, for that matter) would be a lot faster. The actual firing mechanism of a Staff weapon seems to be fairly small, it would be nice if they could mount it into a rifle type housing, and increase the rate of fire.
                The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                  Aside from the fact Lucas would sue the literal pants of them, Sony, MGM and so on, it's simply a bad weapon.
                  THe lightsabre is only effective on Star Wars because of the special powers of the Jedi.
                  It wouldn't work in SG. But really, I like my sci-fi seperate.
                  Keep the Light sabers in SW, keep the goa'uld in SG.
                  I agree.
                  "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                  'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                  Individuality is freedom lived.
                  'Janis Joplin'

Comment

What's the effective range of a lightsabre again?
                    Yeah, I thought so.
                    "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
                      Well if you think about it, the Staff weapon concept is pretty stupid. Have you ever seen the Jaffa trying to change targets and having to turn that huge staff, I mean a guy with a P-90 (or any rifle, for that matter) would be a lot faster. The actual firing mechanism of a Staff weapon seems to be fairly small, it would be nice if they could mount it into a rifle type housing, and increase the rate of fire.
                      I think the main thing the Staff Weapon does well is intimidate lesser developed societies. More or less, I'm suggesting that it is great as part of the costume. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
                        It's hard to believe that the Jaffa have been fighting with those abominations for over 5,000 years...

But as far as the size goes, I think that the Sodan fixed it quite well in “Babylon.” If you've seen that episode, those Jaffa had staff weapons that were probably four feet long and probably just as powerful, a far more practical weapon in my opinion. It was more like a rifle, if I recall correctly. I truly hope we see more of those staff weapons in SG-1's future. The old staff weapons are just too unwieldy for combat...

And the lightsaber thing — I am in full agreement with Lightsabre. I don't see Colonel Sheppard or Teal'c successfully hitting bullets and staff weapon blasts with any type of blade, energy or otherwise. In an actual swordfight, it'd be an advantage, but... It's just not gonna happen, that it will not.

I believe, lethalfang, that the range of a lightsaber is approximately four to five feet depending on the arm and blade length of the user... unless you throw it.

“This [holding a staff weapon] is a weapon of terror. It's made to intimidate the enemy. This [holding a P-90] is a weapon of war; it's made to kill your enemy.” — Colonel Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1, "The Warrior"
                        And the people shall deliver the wicked unto your divine judgment, for their sins shall be weighed in balance with all that is just and true.

“Someone's gotta speak for the Nobodies... and it might as well be me.” — Kairez Lightkeeper

Comment

No force + lightsaber = self maiming weapon

Comment

why dont they use lightsabers in stargate
                            Because they don't exist.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                              No force + lightsaber = self maiming weapon
                              Man, that would have to be one really crappy swordsman to hit yourself with your own sword...
                              And the people shall deliver the wicked unto your divine judgment, for their sins shall be weighed in balance with all that is just and true.

“Someone's gotta speak for the Nobodies... and it might as well be me.” — Kairez Lightkeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X