Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with the scubadiver space suits?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with the scubadiver space suits?

This has been bothering me for quite some time, but only in the past few seasons have I totally dismissed it as a stupid way of saving money.
    Most of the time we see our heroes go into a hazardous environment (vacuum or otherwise) they are wearing suits that are painfully obviously designed for underwater exploration.
    Are imitation modern space suits really THAT expensive that the producers can't say "Instead of six darts, howabout four darts?" for one episode?
    It really hurts the believability (in my eyes) when I see the characters in these gigantic and barely articulatable suits.
    Am I the only one who has noticed this?

I didn't yet I havan't seen the scubadiver suits up against the space suits much, although I did notice something was a little out of wack, nice call.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9
      This has been bothering me for quite some time, but only in the past few seasons have I totally dismissed it as a stupid way of saving money.
      Most of the time we see our heroes go into a hazardous environment (vacuum or otherwise) they are wearing suits that are painfully obviously designed for underwater exploration.
      Are imitation modern space suits really THAT expensive that the producers can't say "Instead of six darts, howabout four darts?" for one episode?
      It really hurts the believability (in my eyes) when I see the characters in these gigantic and barely articulatable suits.
      Am I the only one who has noticed this?
      If not in space and want to simulate weightlessness what better method than under water

Comment

Some newer designs for space suits are being based on underwater "hard" suits. The reasoning is pretty simple actually; cloth space suits are pressurized, so the suit behaves like a balloon. Say you want to do something easy, like bend your arm; when you distort the suit, the volume decreases and the pressure in the suit tries to bend your arm back to a straight position.
        With hard suits, you don't have to worry about the suit acting like a balloon because the interior volume won't change if you bend an arm or leg.

Originally posted by nathanaus
        If not in space and want to simulate weightlessness what better method than under water
        Except being submerged in water doesn't simulate weightlessness, it simulates working in a microgravity environment. What you're doing is making the astronaut neutrally buoyant in the pool; that simulates the floating sensation of microgravity, but the guy in the suit still feels Earths gravity.

NASA recently retired their only way to train astronauts in microgravity without sending them into orbit, and that was the Vomet Comet.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
          NASA recently retired their only way to train astronauts in microgravity without sending them into orbit, and that was the Vomet Comet.
          ROFLMAO @ vomet comet! I love it! Maybe they should let people pay to take rides in it!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            ROFLMAO @ vomet comet! I love it! Maybe they should let people pay to take rides in it!
            There are companies that do that, I believe.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

"In late 2004, Zero Gravity Corporation became the first and only company in the United States to offer parabolic weightlessness flights to the general public. Each flight consists of around 15 parabolas, including simulations of the gravity levels of the Moon and Mars, as well as complete weightlessness.[3]"
              deviantArt

Favorite

Newest

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_suit
                Yes, saving money by using what is actually being used at NASA instead of some wacky new thing that isn't used in our space program? THIS IS MADNESS.

I know we have a hand-suit design, but that just got announced to the public.

EDIT:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_suit
                AHHHH! MORE SCUBA SUITS! WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO!? NOOO. It's almost like the show wants to be based on reality. OH MAN WHAT A CONCEPT!

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                  THIS IS MADNESS.
                  Madness?

THIS. IS. SPACE SUIT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFlush View Post
                    Madness?

THIS. IS. SPACE SUIT!!!
                    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
                    I have no idea where that came from.

This is what I'd like to see more of:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_suit
                      Yes, saving money by using what is actually being used at NASA instead of some wacky new thing that isn't used in our space program? THIS IS MADNESS.

I know we have a hand-suit design, but that just got announced to the public.

EDIT:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_suit
                      AHHHH! MORE SCUBA SUITS! WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO!? NOOO. It's almost like the show wants to be based on reality. OH MAN WHAT A CONCEPT!
                      I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the 10 months it's been since I posted this.

I am referring to the half a dozen some odd seasons where they used space suits that looked like this:
                      http://gateworld.net/sg1/s9/images/906_03.jpg.shtml

And all the previous episodes using that one.

I was very impressed when they put Amanda Tapping in a real NASA-style space suit in the S9 finale.

As for your "in reality" concept.
                      I don't think I've ever seen pictures of people in space in suits like the image I linked.
                      I'd have linked one from previous episodes, but I can't find any on the internets.

Comment

Teal'c also used a NASA style space suit in 'Nemesis'

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s3/3...3x22_0667.html

Two simple explanations for using the non-NASA space suit are.

1. It is actually cheaper to make their own than to buy/borrow several real NASA space suits. While they're making their own, why not SG-1 them up a bit?

2. They just wanted to SG-1 them up a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
                          I am referring to the half a dozen some odd seasons where they used space suits that looked like this:
                          http://gateworld.net/sg1/s9/images/906_03.jpg.shtml
                          I think it's just because most of the audience can't tell the difference, or maybe because the prop guys can't tell the difference. One or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                            YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
                            I have no idea where that came from.
                            My quote was from 300. Yours is from A few Good Men.

As for the space suits/scuba suits, the sensors detected that there was toxic atmosphere down in the shielded area, but there WAS atmosphere (and controlled temperature), so bringing a full on space suit may have been unnecessary. As opposed to Camelot, where Carter was in SPACE.

So if they went with deep sea suits for that reason? Who knows. It's close enough.

Comment

In beachhead its because their Radiation suits not space suits

Comment

Working...
                              X