• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Category 7 To Trash Landmarks

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=32850

Category 7 To Trash Landmarks

The Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, the Great Pyramids, Mount Rushmore and the Arc de Triomphe are some of the world's great landmarks that the CBS digital effects team takes great delight in destroying in the upcoming miniseries Category 7: The End of the World, visual effects supervisor Craig Weiss told SCI FI Wire during an exclusive tour on Oct. 14.

The super-storm drama is a sequel to last year's hit Category 6, and the only character reprising a role is Randy Quaid as a storm chaser. The four-hour sequel co-stars Gina Gershon as a new FEMA director, Shannen Doherty as a discredited scientist, Tom Skerritt as a pilot and James Brolin and Swoosie Kurtz as a televangelist couple saying that the storm is the coming apocalypse.

Only weeks before the miniseries' Nov. 6 and 13 premiere, the digital team is working on destroying some of the world's most recognizable landmarks. The first one, the Eiffel Tower, is struck by lightning and sucked into a tornado while diners are blown off the structure and a car smashes into one of the legs of the tower.

"There are more than 100 special-effect shots in that one sequence," Weiss said. The Eiffel Tower is the first landmark to be destroyed in a sequence that lasts 10 minutes, and more than one-fourth of the miniseries' nearly 400 special-effects shots will go into that one sequence alone.

In another nearly completed sequence, the Arc de Triomphe is struck by lightning in the heart of Paris and comes crumbling down. Can a lightning strike bring down solid stone like that? Christopher DeCristo, the show's 2-D supervisor admitted: "We don't really know."
    sigpic

This is actually one of my big pet peeves about mass destruction scifi. It's such a cliche and a cheap uncreative one at that. They lazily choose something that has enough footage or whatever that they don't actually have to go shoot on location or use actual creativity to show something somewhat less obvious being destroyed.

All the things they could destroy besides the obvious:

Notre Dame
    Leaning Tower of Pisa
    The Louvre
    Big Ben
    London Bridge
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Trafalgar Square
    Times Square
    Grand Central
    Washington DC.... the whole damn thing
    The space needle
    The Parthenon
    The St. Louis Gateway
    Trump Towers ... somehow seems like justice
    And most importantly ALL the movie studios...

I think it would be far more original if whatever thing they have coming down out of the sky hits everything around the Eiffel tower and misses it altogether.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I got to watch Category 6 in my Earth Science class last year. We got a good laugh at it and the teacher, after the whole thing was over, explained exactly why the events of the thing were nigh impossible.

I can't believe they're making a sequel, though...
      Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1. And on that base he had a Ba'al, SG SG-1. With a Ba'al, Ba'al here and a Ba'al, Ba'al there, here a Ba'al there a Ba'al, everywhere a Ba'al Ba'al. Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1!
      [Don't ask. Please.]

Comment

Originally posted by Universal Nexus
        I got to watch Category 6 in my Earth Science class last year. We got a good laugh at it and the teacher, after the whole thing was over, explained exactly why the events of the thing were nigh impossible.

I can't believe they're making a sequel, though...
        I didn't know there was a "Category 6" Mini series! Where did it come from? And how did I miss it? I like shows like that!
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X