This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many chevrons can a DHD dial to?

We know that StarGates have 9 chevrons and that the 8th chevron is used for an intergalactic connection with another Stargate but do we know exactly how many chevrons a DHD at least on the Milky way might be able to dial?

I have to ask because at SD.NET I am being told that all DHDs are uncapable of anything other than reaching interstellar addresses unless they are modified. I always thought they just needed a power source such as a ZPM.
    Are they right?
    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

the DHD has to have an extra control crystal to reach inter-galatic gates, we know this from The atlantis gate having the extra control crystal to reach earth.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
      the DHD has to have an extra control crystal to reach inter-galatic gates, we know this from The atlantis gate having the extra control crystal to reach earth.
      Exactly. But...we have not been explicitly told in the show whether or not a Milky Way DHD can dial an 8-chevron address. Since the SGC computer did the dialing for the Asgard homeworld and for Atlantis, no DHD was needed, so from the SGC perspective it wouldn't matter. We could speculate that the DHD found with the Antarctic gate should have been able to dial intergalactic addresses, but since it's fried it's a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
        Yes but that been the Pegasus galaxy suggests that the reason might be that the ancients built the DHDs overthere without the capability to dial intergalactically to contain the Wraith.
        I've trieds to get this point accross at SD.NET but all I get in return are expleitives!
        The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk
          Yes but that been the Pegasus galaxy suggests that the reason might be that the ancients built the DHDs overthere without the capability to dial intergalactically to contain the Wraith.
          I've trieds to get this point accross at SD.NET but all I get in return are expleitives!
          the gates were probably built long b4 the wraith were discovered

Comment

The gate can dial however many chevrons the writers want it to dial I personally don't see a limit to it as long as you can modify it, have the coordinates to a working gate and have the power to connect a wormhole. 8 dials another galaxy, 9 goes further out, 10 out further, 11 out further, it just keeps going
            I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

I would also say if you modify it then its possible. Like its not possible to Dial every Gate in a galaxy but if you modify it you would be able to.
              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer
                I would also say if you modify it then its possible. Like its not possible to Dial every Gate in a galaxy but if you modify it you would be able to.
                As I recall dialing every gate in the galaxy required programing it not modifiying it...
                But oh well...

Comment

As I recall dialing every gate in the galaxy required programing it not modifiying it...
                  But oh well...
                  Indeed. Perhaps this is where the mysterious 9th chevron comes in. It's almost certainly not an additional distance calculation, or there would be no reason to keep its purpose secret. (I'm sure TPTB will come up with a use for it eventually...but I highly doubt it's for longer range. Where would you get the power?)

And unless TPTB want to lose all credibility, 9 is the limit. Not 10, not more...because 9 is what's on the gate itself. If you could dial more glyphs than there are chevrons, why have the chevrons at all?

Comment

to look cool
                    no, your right.
                    imagine having SG teams dialing 100 chevrons, it would be a whole episode
                    "next time on an all new Stargate atlantis, the team starts dialing the 100 symbol adress"

Comment

HAHA that episode will rock, McKay says "Well this is exciting, I'm going to get a sandwhich." Then they show him making his sandwhich and he's humming to himself and occasionally they cut to the gateroom "Chevron 56 encoded" then they cut to McKay finishing his sandwhich and admiring his creation, then he walks back to the gateroom and just watches the gate while eating his sandwhich. HAHA!
                      I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Assuming the DHD in both SGA and SG-1 operate in a similiar manner, All DHD are able to use all 9 cheverons, but lack the "add-ons" to do so.

Avenger 2.0 showed us that the Dailing computer is no where near as good as a DHD, but provided the SGC with a level of control others could not with a DHD.

I believe the 9th Cheveron will not be used for a very long time. being able to have 38 galaxies or 38 spin-offs is more than enough for the entire lifetime of the series.

Comment

Originally posted by TrustNo1
                          HAHA that episode will rock, McKay says "Well this is exciting, I'm going to get a sandwhich." Then they show him making his sandwhich and he's humming to himself and occasionally they cut to the gateroom "Chevron 56 encoded" then they cut to McKay finishing his sandwhich and admiring his creation, then he walks back to the gateroom and just watches the gate while eating his sandwhich. HAHA!
                          it could be the cliff hanger.
                          it cuts off at chevron 56. Will the 57-100 chevrons lock?, find out next time on an all new stargate atlantis
                          the 8th chevron is used for an intergalactic connection with another Stargate but do we know exactly how many chevrons a DHD at least on the Milky way might be able to dial?
                          I think the Ancients had only 1 gate capable of reaching inter-galactic distances in reach galaxy and the rest were inter-stellar. I wonder how many galaxies the Ancients have been too...

Comment

I think the Ancients had only 1 gate capable of reaching inter-galactic distances in each galaxy and the rest were inter-stellar. I wonder how many galaxies the Ancients have been too...
                            Then that would mean we are still to find the gate was able to do that on the MW because as we know from fifth race the Gate at Earth was not it.

But furthermore in S9 we saw the priors reach just about every world they chose from their own home galaxy! How can that be if the rest of the gates are only inter-stellar?

Comment

I would think that the Priors (and the Ori) don't need a DHD at all. We know that there are advanced beings who have other methods of activating a gate (such as the Nox) without bothering with them. Priors probably use a similar method to get home, bypassing any limiting factors of the DHD, and the stored power of their staff provides the added juice.

Comment

Working...
                              X