X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming entire plantes

I was thinking today.
    If Earth was compromised, could they build a giant gate and send the entire planet somewhere else? Of course they would need a giant gate at the other end, it would be really confusing for the attackers too,

Also, a portable 'stargate net' would be a great weapon, just send your attacking foe miles away.

What about if the galaxy was compromised, we could build a gate and send it away, too!

Of course they would need a giant gate at the other end, it would be really confusing for the attackers too,
    I daresay it wouldn't be especially confusing to the attackers, what with the enormous ring filled with blue swallowing the planet.

Also, a portable 'stargate net' would be a great weapon, just send your attacking foe miles away.
    ...and ask them to fly through it?

I fail to see the point of this thread. It has nothing to do with stargate discussion since it's essentially fan fic and there's nothing really scientific about pondering the merits of constructing a 13 thousand kilometer ring (unless, of course, you're the Forerunners, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_%28megastructure%29).
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

You know that Earth is in the "goldilocks zone" in the solar system? It's the area just so far away from the sun to keep us warm but not too close to burn away the atmosphere and oceans. We're also positioned just so far away from the asteroid belt where they're not a immediate threat. Once any of those benefits are taken away, Earth becomes too hot or too cold or a target.

Comment

Originally posted by pleed
        I was thinking today.
        If Earth was compromised, could they build a giant gate and send the entire planet somewhere else? Of course they would need a giant gate at the other end, it would be really confusing for the attackers too,

Maybe in a few seasons but not soon. unless they REALLY get diging in Atlantis
        And on the gateing a galaxy coment......

NEVER!!!!! In a million years...No offense....its good fanfic(Weird but good). but they would never do that in the show.
        I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
        so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
        But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
        Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
        GW My home away from home....
        My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

imagne th costs of the gate to build!

Comment

Nobody here has any right to call anyone else an idiot. Why not have friendly discussion or debate without the insults, everyone will have a more enjoyable time then.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Rather than shoot the messenger, you could try shooting the message.

We've only seen one Ori "supergate" so far, and it appears to require a singularity to power it. Given that it's only a few hundred meters in diamter, the power requirements to make and open a gate that large are apparently orders of magnitude greater than the standard garden-variety stargate. Even when we figure in the fact that it's an extragalactic gate with - one assumes - 10 times the power consumption of a similar gate used within our galaxy, that's a metric buttload of power.

Therefore, based on this set of assumptions, we can guess that the power requirements for a gate large enough to fit a planetary body through would be insanely prohibitive. Maybe something on the order of a supernova or a massive, multi-star singularity. Since having that kind of object in the neighborhood tends to make planets into ex-planets, I doubt such a thing would be worth pursuing -- even if it were possible to begin with, which I very much doubt.

Comment

Hallowed are the idiots.

I doubt you could build a gate big enough to move an entire planet through. And even if you could, like someone else said you would have to be very precise about the destination orbit. And whats to stop the enemy from finding the new location? Its interesting, but just not practical or possible.

On a related side note, if anyone has ever read the Q-Continuum trilogy of Star Trek books, they discuss doing something similar. The Tkon Empire actually build a transporter around their sun that is dying to beam it out and beam in a new star.

Comment

It would be nice, but planets can't just be sent anywhere, they are unable to be operated like ships, if it were transported too closely to a sun, or blackhole for instance, the destruction would be unavoidable, the planet would have to be let go, so if it were possible, best to have a designation in mind before hand.

Comment

I saw on the Discovery Channel that it is possible to move Earth out as far as Mars using a meteor. What they do is attack rockets onto the meteor to steer it, then they sling shot it around Saturn and back around Earth and somehow it moves Earth Towards Mars. This is a theoretical plan they have if and when the sun decides to expand, although it will take several hundred years to move Earth so there's nothing for us to worry about
                    I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

1 question, how do you stop the meteor
                      a) burning up in earth's tamosphere
                      b) colliding into earth and causing widespread damage and
                      c) moving the earth quick enough once the sun starts expanding

Comment

a) It won't enter Earth's atmosphere. They bring it so it sling shots between Earth and Saturn, or is it Jupiter? One of them. And it isn't one those ordinary meteors Earth runs into everyday, we're talking the size of the moon or bigger. We know the moon has a small effect on Earth's orbit so a controlled meteor will have an effect too, that's why it will take several hundred years because it has to go between Earth and the outer planets.
                        b) It's going to take a lot of control on the part of NASA or whoever lands those rockets on the meteor and amazing calculations, we probably can't do it now but in 50 or 100 years, why not? The meteor will come within 130,000 km of Earth or something. I wasn't really watching the program, or maybe I read it on space.com it was a while ago.
                        c) For the sun to expand there will have to be some change in it's core, we will see this and predict how long it will take for it to expand and how long it will take to move earth. This isn't Sam Carter blow up a sun expanding, it's natural sun expanding at a slow but deadly rate.

Plus I'm a 19 year old guy who dropped out of high school so how am I supposed to know what's going to happen?

EDIT - Ok so my memory isn't that great but it was close... I think. http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ve_010207.html

SECOND EDIT - Ok ok, so I was way off
                        Last edited by TrustNo1; 15 October 2005, 12:16 AM.
                        I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Its a Gravity pull.

Everything you use gravity to slingshot something into deep space, the earths rotation looses a bit of speed, something like 0.000000001 sec.

They are taking about creating a gravitional pull, uses the suns gravity as a slingshot to change our orbit enough to move us to safety. THe Metor was be using to start the reaction by creating sufficent gravtional pull to move us out of orbit.

Remember the Moon is far away, yet the seas are its mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                            Pavlov's dogs.

Take a look at all of my posts. Where have I ever insulted someone without going to pains to explain the truth of the matter to them?
                            All I'm doing is trying to take them from the wrong path and put them on the right one.
                            you do try.
                            But, no offense, some of them you kind of attack them with info.

Comment

I may be an idiot and this may be an idiotic topic, but I was trying something different to the 'where are the ancients personal weapons' threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X