Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dialing Multiple Gates - Hmm... Possibilities...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialing Multiple Gates - Hmm... Possibilities...

"Reckoning" P2 raised some questions and some thoughts for me.

They can dial every Stargate simultaniously, right? AND have the energy from that Ancient weapon translated through ONE gate without being diffused to the point of no longer being effective against the Replicators.

So, what would happen if you put an object of solid matter through the Stargate whilst it was connected to multiple addresses? Would it...

-Exit through the gate of least resistance?
    -Exit through each and every gate in little bitty atomized pieces?
    -Because of a (hypothetical) safeguard that causes the gate compensate for any matter lost (unless they came up with this on the show and I forgot about it) - IE, a quick patch-up job at the end of the wormhole - would it cause a perfect copy of whatever had been sent through to begin with to come out through each and every gate?

This last one, in my opinion, could explain why the energy from the weapon was enough to destroy Replicators everywhere. Yeah, I know it was a powerful weapon, but it was going through one Stargate and being translated out thousands.
    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Originally posted by Syera
    -Because of a (hypothetical) safeguard that causes the gate compensate for any matter lost (unless they came up with this on the show and I forgot about it) - IE, a quick patch-up job at the end of the wormhole - would it cause a perfect copy of whatever had been sent through to begin with to come out through each and every gate?
    Hmmm...imagine the possibilities! We could have thousands of Carters! Or it would very hot to have thousands of Camerons and Daniels!!!
    sigpic

Comment

I really doubt that the gate system can be used to replicate matter, or the Goa'uld would have done so long ago. I think the Ancient device instead sends a signal to the gate network to use energy stored in the gates themselves to reproduce the wave locally, with the initiating wave from the device used to give the gates a pattern to match. The initial wave from the device would still need to be massive in order to be split across the entire network, but only a small amount would be needed by the receiving gates to establish a pattern to replicate.

Comment

well, it managed to replicate the disruptor beam, so it must do it to matter
        and saying about the goauld, the reason baal done it is because of avenger, i think, i remember something about avenger and multi gate dialing in reckoning therew was somethign about it

Comment

Even if it did reintegrate the entire beam at each gate -- which I don't believe it did -- that doesn't mean that it could do the same thing to matter. We already know that the gates handle matter and energy in separate ways. That's like saying that just because a Xerox machine can make multiple copies of a document, it can also make multiple copies of a duck.

To continue the Xerox analogy, and to try to clarify my earlier theory, let's compare the gate system to a network of high-end copier-printers all attached to the same network. We could go to a computer on the network and send a print to the local printer with instructions to send it to all the other printers in the network (multicast it). The first printer does not send the actual print, it sends a stream of data that is printed on the other devices using their own paper and toner. All that's being sent is the electronic data that represents what the printed page will contain.

Similarly, I think it's reasonable to postulate that the disruptor wave was sent to the local gate, which then sent the signature of the wave to the other gates in the network. Those gates, in turn, produced an energy wave identical to the signature and belched it out into their local neighborhoods. Energy is something that the gate already has in abundance, after all. I suppose that one major flaw with this idea is that if true, it means that the actual disruption device is unnecessary. All you would really need is the energy signature of the wave you wanted to have the receiving gate produce. And the actual device could send a much smaller and far less dramatic wave to the first gate.

If it doesn't work that way, then the initial disruption wave would need to be equally divided across the entire network. We have no evidence to suggest that the gate can create matter out of nothing, only that it can store the energy of an object that was deconstructed by the sending gate and reconstruct it into the same object. Energy, on the other hand, seems to travel freely in both directions, and does not need to be deconstructed on one end and reconstructed on the other (and if it did, then 2-way communication would be impossible). Since the disruption wave is an energy signal, the sending gate simply divides the signal across all of the gates it's connected to. So if there are 10,000 gates in the network, each gate gets 1/10,000 of the signal...it had better be a very powerful wave to still be effective after that.

Both solutions make some sense, and I'm sure there are other valid possibilities as well. Of course, the real question is whether TPTB considered the implications of the multi-dial thoroughly in the first place. Until we see something onscreen to better explain the process and the limitations, we're just guessing.

Comment

Oh come on! Let us dream! Thousands of Cams, Daniels, and Carters!
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah... Earth would have an awesome bargaining chip: "Okay, give us your spiffy technology and we'll give you a Carter."

Given that A: every male falls for her, and B: she can figure out in short order how to use and improve just about ANYTHING... it would be an offer they couldn't resist!

Okay... lemme explain my "patch-up" theory a little better...

-Gate 1 obviously has to send instructions to Gate 2 telling Gate 2 how to put the person back together.
              -Some of the person's atoms may be lost during transit.
              -The gate has a system that grabs and holds onto all sorts of atoms and whatnot from the very air and uses these materials to replace anything that was lost during transit.
              -If only a little bit of material was sent through each gate, the gates, each having received the blueprints for the original, would use this guff* to recreate in entireity the individual for whom it received the blueprints.

I do have to admit... even if the gate held a reserve of enough matter to do a patch-up job on whatever went through, it very may not have enough to patch up an entire person. Still, it would be a very nifty concept if it could do that, and possibly one that could be fun to explore in the series.

One McKay, two McKay, three McKay, four McKay, five, six seven, sorry, no more McKay!

*Guff - I use the word to refer to base organic materials in this context. I don't know if it's correct in any dictionary, but it works for me...
              [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Somebody asked this in the "Ask Joe" thread. He said that their particles would be scattered throughout all the gates. Basicly whatever went through would be atomized.
                My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

Aww... but that's so boring!

Now somebody'd better explain why it works to send all that energy and why IT doesn't get diffused into amounts so tiny they'd be useless against anything bigger than a microbe's tush hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                    Now somebody'd better explain why it works to send all that energy and why IT doesn't get diffused into amounts so tiny they'd be useless against anything bigger than a microbe's tush hair.

My guess: The device puts out terrifying amounts of power for as long as it needs to, based on how many "splits" are required. The device "knows" how much energy must be sent based on the number of connected gates, and has the juice to send it. (We can assume it's ZPM powered.) It monitors the gates until all the recieving gates signal back that they have discharged the required amount for the wave to be effective. In other words, it keeps going, and going, and going...until the desired effect is achieved.

Comment

If you don't want a spoiler stop reading now.

I hate to give things away, but remember Bal is the one who configured the gates to dial all the gates. He used this trick to make the 30 clones of himself. (EX DEUS MACHINA). When he stepped into the gate he took a couple gold bars with him too. Once the copies all came back thru the gate and headed for earth he had several hundred million in gold to fund his efforts on earth. This will be revealed in season 14 when they kill off the final copy.

Sorry, thought it was worth the joke. ;-)

Comment

This would be a great way to create more ZPM's!

Comment

Also, whether you believe this or not, I think it was mentioned that the Ancient weapon on Dakara produced "self-propogating" waves, which supposedly explained how it was able to come out of a stargate and encompass an entire planet.
                          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

you SHOULD be able to use the gate for cloning. once you have something demolecurised (SP?) the "data" is stored in the buffer then reintergrated. surely if you could copy that data somewhere else, reengage the gate (ala 48 hours), turn it off, feed the copied data BACK into the buffer, and activate the gate again...

Help!
                            My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                              you SHOULD be able to use the gate for cloning. once you have something demolecurised (SP?) the "data" is stored in the buffer then reintergrated. surely if you could copy that data somewhere else, reengage the gate (ala 48 hours), turn it off, feed the copied data BACK into the buffer, and activate the gate again...
                              Where does the extra matter come from?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Working...
                              X