Clear All

Dialing home...

I have a question...
    Everywhere in internet, address for dialing Earth looks like this:

But in a TV series, I can see another one dialing home code:

Difference is only in the last symbol.
    So the question is:
    which combination is correct?

Well the first one is incorrect as you have the earth point of origin. The earth point of origin can only be used on earth.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
      Well the first one is incorrect as you have the earth point of origin. The earth point of origin can only be used on earth.
      Which is kind of pointless if you're already on earth
      The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

I know, that the final symbol is a point of origin, but...
        as I have seen in a few episodes, whereever they were, they dial home using this point of origin:

It does not make scense if each planet has its own.
        One more thing: why does each DHD has the Tau'ri symbol? I always thought that DHDs from different planets should differ with that symbol, so combination to dial home is always the same (by buttons, only the final button has its own sybol)

I'm confused....

Comment

Originally posted by A'wer
          I know, that the final symbol is a point of origin, but...
          as I have seen in a few episodes, whereever they were, they dial home using this point of origin:

It does not make scense if each planet has its own.
          One more thing: why does each DHD has the Tau'ri symbol? I always thought that DHDs from different planets should differ with that symbol, so combination to dial home is always the same (by buttons, only the final button has its own sybol)

I'm confused....
          I know that the gate has 39 glyphs and the DHD has 38 glyphs, probably because they don't want to make a new glyph for every single planet they visit, so they use a glyph that is already on the DHD. As for the Tau'ri symbol, it's probably used as a coordinate in space like the rest of the glyphs.

Comment

I know that the gate has 39 glyphs and the DHD has 38 glyphs, probably because they don't want to make a new glyph for every single planet they visit, so they use a glyph that is already on the DHD. As for the Tau'ri symbol, it's probably used as a coordinate in space like the rest of the glyphs.
            Yeah, but why then SG-1 dialing DHDs using 7 symbols combination? Obviously, they should click 6 symbols to dial home. The point of origin should be locked automaticly then....

So... i'm still confused

Comment

Originally posted by A'wer
              Yeah, but why then SG-1 dialing DHDs using 7 symbols combination? Obviously, they should click 6 symbols to dial home. The point of origin should be locked automaticly then....

So... i'm still confused
              The original idea of the dome in the centre of the DHD was to act as the point of origin. But they decided not to use it that way. They decided to use to activate the wormhole.

Comment

The real answer is...all of the coordinates are screwed up, and if you're looking for scientific accuracy and on-screen continuity, give up now. Technically each gate should have a completely different set of symbols than every other gate, and the same for the DHD's. Scientifically, that makes sense, since constellations would not be the same viewed from other locations. However, TPTB can't afford to build prop gates for every episode with different glyphs, so they just use the same symbols on the original gate. So you're going to see these kinds of errors. In "Memento" one of the gate addresses on Jonas' computer has the Earth symbol in it twice. And the whole season four and five the point of origin should have been the antarctic one as that was the antarctic gate, but instead we saw the original earth symbol. There is no consistency in gate addresses and symbols and DHD's. Its all a mes

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                  The real answer is...all of the coordinates are screwed up, and if you're looking for scientific accuracy and on-screen continuity, give up now. Technically each gate should have a completely different set of symbols than every other gate, and the same for the DHD's. Scientifically, that makes sense, since constellations would not be the same viewed from other locations. However, TPTB can't afford to build prop gates for every episode with different glyphs, so they just use the same symbols on the original gate. So you're going to see these kinds of errors. In "Memento" one of the gate addresses on Jonas' computer has the Earth symbol in it twice. And the whole season four and five the point of origin should have been the antarctic one as that was the antarctic gate, but instead we saw the original earth symbol. There is no consistency in gate addresses and symbols and DHD's. Its all a mes
                  I saw 'Momento' and I didn't notice that. I better watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                    The real answer is...all of the coordinates are screwed up, and if you're looking for scientific accuracy and on-screen continuity, give up now...
                    ...There is no consistency in gate addresses and symbols and DHD's. Its all a mes
                    Now to explain why this is

If you've ever seen the Stargate movie (and paid attention), you'll realize that in the movie, Abydos was in a totally different galaxy (the Caelum galaxy). Once they sent a MALP through and got a good look at the gate on Abydos, they realized that it had completely different symbols on it, because constellations would have been different in another galaxy (or anywhere besides Earth for that matter).
                    This was the whole premise of the movie; they go there and Daniel has to figure out how to get them back home, after Jack kills Ra and saves Earth.

Then you have the series, which is the point where the coordinate system they explained in the movie falls apart.
                    The series developers decided that they couldn't travel to other galaxies every week, or else they'd just be rehashing the movie over and over. Instead, they changed the location of Abydos from the Caelum galaxy to the Milky Way, and said there are gates all over our galaxy that all use the same symbols as Earths gate.

So, if the gate uses constellations as references to determine a destinations location in the galaxy, and all stargates use the same symbols as the gate on Earth, then constellations should look the same as they do from Earth as they would from any planet in the galaxy; but they don't.
                    Constellations are 2 dimensional representations of 3 dimensional (actually 4 dimensional, cause they move over time) objects. If you look at Orion from Earths perspective, it'll look vaguely like the symbol on the gate. If you look at Orion from another planet, Orion will look nothing at all like the symbol on the gate, because your perspective has changed.

You can't use constellations as seen on Earth as reference points, because they'd change as soon as you left the planet.
                    Also, all the stars you see at night, including all the stars of the constellations, are within 10,000 lightyears of Earth. That means that even if you could use the constellations from Earth as references, you could only travel 10,000 light years away; our galaxy is ~100,000 light years in diameter.

Also, there is a symbol missing from the DHD; it's the symbol for the Aquila constellation (looks like a square root symbol). In its place, they have the various points of origin symbols so our heroes can get home each week.

Lets just hope they never have to dial a planet with the Aquila symbol in the address, otherwise they're screwed.
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                      Also, there is a symbol missing from the DHD; it's the symbol for the Aquila constellation (looks like a square root symbol). In its place, they have the various points of origin symbols so our heroes can get home each week.

Lets just hope they never have to dial a planet with the Aquila symbol in the address, otherwise they're screwed.
                      I think Kelowna has the Aquila glyph.

Comment

I think Kelowna has the Aquila glyph.
                        1. Kelowna was renamed to Langara.

2. If that address has the Aquila glyph, then you could dial it from Earth (with the SGC dialing computer) but from nowhere else in the galaxy
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                          1. Kelowna was renamed to Langara.

2. If that address has the Aquila glyph, then you could dial it from Earth (with the SGC dialing computer) but from nowhere else in the galaxy
                          I think Langara is the name of the planet and Kelowna is one of the countries on the planet. I'm not sure on this. I knew that there was one glyph missing on the DHD I just didn't know which one.

Comment

It only ever said Stargates were all different in the movie but I can't tell you why they changed that. It seems strange that one symbol represents the point of origin on every planet except Earth. Maybe the Ancients ran out of ideas for symbols.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                              It only ever said Stargates were all different in the movie but I can't tell you why they changed that. It seems strange that one symbol represents the point of origin on every planet except Earth. Maybe the Ancients ran out of ideas for symbols.
                              Well they could only fit 38 glyphs on the DHD. The dome in the middle was supposed to be the point of origin, which would've made sense, but they decided to screw it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X