This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardisk space on a Stargate Question

Well not really a hardisk, but information storage.

How much data capacity would a gate have? Considering the amount of information it would take to store a human being or even a puddle jumper?

Originally posted by Deckker
    Well not really a hardisk, but information storage.

How much data capacity would a gate have? Considering the amount of information it would take to store a human being or even a puddle jumper?
    God only knows. Probably measured in units that we havnt even named yet. millions of Terabytes. Who knows. Since the effect of stargate travel are well...nothing, the stargate stores, then recreats every atom in the object, and recreates its state. Thats...a lot.
    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
      God only knows. Probably measured in units that we havnt even named yet. millions of Terabytes. Who knows. Since the effect of stargate travel are well...nothing, the stargate stores, then recreats every atom in the object, and recreates its state. Thats...a lot.
      But it doesn't actually store it...
      so the real question is how good is its CPU/RAM?

Comment

Doesn't it store it in a buffer though until all of the object is through?
        I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

It must have lots of memory to be able to do all that stuff but i think it would be the DHD that would store the data wouldnt it???

Comment

The DHD woudn't because the earth stargate hasn't got a DHD. I thought that it was stored in a buffer also.
            Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
            Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

"The crystals in the gate, they're not like magnetic hard drives."
              "I know...They're crystals"

Hehe that quote comes to mind. As for the actual memory of the gate, well I think there's an easy way to figure it out.

First we should go on the theory that the gate stores all of an object's information prior to reassembly, as Carter explained in "48 Hours". So the memory of the gate must have room for all of the information about the whole object. We know that the maximum area of the entering base of an object cannot be bigger than the interior of the gate. So first we have:

B = π * r^2

where 'r' is the radius from the center of the gate to the inner edge of the ring. Now we also know that the maximum length of an object entering the gate is going to be 38 minutes "long". While there are rare cases when the gate is open longer than that, the Ancients did not intend for that to happen and probably only installed enough memory for 38 minutes worth of information. So the length of an object entering is:

L = 2280 * V

where 2280 is 38 minutes converted to seconds and V is the object's entering velocity. Relativity dictates that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, therefore the maximum length of an object going through the gate is:

L = 2280 * c

So the maximum volume of an object entering the gate is

V = 2280 * π * r^2 * c

The density of the object will be given by the number of quantum units per unit of volume. The reason I say quantum units is because we don't know how precise the gate computer is. It could be down to the electron scale, the quark scale, or even the plank length. For our purposes D will represent the MAXIMUM possible density of these units within a given volume. So the Total number of these quantum units possible is given by

T = V * D = 2280 * π * r^2 * c * D

Finally, we know that the gate has to store various information about each of these units. Velocity, position, angle, quantum state, spin, and who knows how many other factors, depending on how precise these quantum units are. Also, not all of these factors are bits; not all are 1's or 0's. Some, like velocity, may require several bytes, depending on size. So we'll say that the total memory required for all the factors of one quantum unit is F. Therefore, the total memory of the gate, M, is

M = 2280 * π * r^2 * c * D * F

I know it's not an actual number, but if we knew the missing information this should give the correct answer.

I was really bored to sit here and think this out lol
              Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 09 October 2005, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Still doesn't tell us much though...

=(

Comment

Damm thats a lot of maths for a question like this.

And honsetly thats far more information than I think th gate can manage.

There is often a max window lenght, or a max amount of mass before a system can handle.

For all we know Stargates are "Intel inside" and the Dailing computers are made by AMD, thus the problems we see SDC faces with the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by CZA
                    Still doesn't tell us much though...

=(
                    I think we can narrow it down a little more though.

If we go by DaltonSpence's estimation of the size of the gate, which I agree with (see this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=17494) then the equation is:

M = 2280 * π * 8.19'^2 * c * D * F

If we convert to meters, as one always should, and simplify, then

M = 1.33E13 * D * F
                    Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 09 October 2005, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deckker
                      Damm thats a lot of maths for a question like this.

And honsetly thats far more information than I think th gate can manage.

There is often a max window lenght, or a max amount of mass before a system can handle.

For all we know Stargates are "Intel inside" and the Dailing computers are made by AMD, thus the problems we see SDC faces with the gate.
                      If the Ancients can build cities that fly accross galaxies, time machines, stargates,
                      Spoiler:
                      dakara-like weapons that wipe out all life in the galaxy, supergates like in "Beachhead"
                      then I think they can build good computers

Comment

The average person has 10^28 atoms in their body. For sake of arguement, lets say that you could record an atoms state on 8 bits (1 byte); you'd need 10^28 bytes to store a human being.

For reference, a 1 terabyte hard drive is 10^12 bytes, so you'd need ~100,000,000,000,000,000 (100 quadrillion) 1 terabyte hard drives in order to store a single human being. If you stacked all those hard drives on top of each other, you'd have a stack 190 billion kilometers high.

Of course the gate can store alot more than just one person at a time. We've seen entire platoons of people go through the gate, as well as puddlejumpers, so the upper limit of how much it can store is probably infinity minus 1
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Somehow I don't think the gate could handle 38 minutes of neutronium(contained in some way so it wouldn't rematerialize) traveling close to c

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                            Somehow I don't think the gate could handle 38 minutes of neutronium(contained in some way so it wouldn't rematerialize) traveling close to c
                            Hehe maybe it can't, but I was just giving the upper limit that we know FOR SURE, because even though the gate probably cant handle that, we dont know for sure. And why would the neutronium have to be contained? It would not rematerialize until all the matter has crossed the event horizon, we know this for sure from SG.

Comment

Neutronium is just liquid neutrons, and my guess is that the gate would rematerialize neutrons, since they're just particles.

Comment

Working...
                              X