This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iris and the Splash

How does the Iris survive when the gate is activated. Everything els is destoyed when it hits the splash unless the gate is buried. If the gate is buried it comes back as an inactive address. So how does it work!?

Originally posted by GateMage13
    How does the Iris survive when the gate is activated. Everything els is destoyed when it hits the splash unless the gate is buried. If the gate is buried it comes back as an inactive address. So how does it work!?
    First I'd like to say maybe a mod should make this a sticky, as it is brought up continuously.

The "splash" only forms when there is room for matter to reintegrate. There is no room for matter to reintegrate between the iris and the event horizon thereform there is no splash. Once there is room for matter to reintegrate (as seen in "100 Days") then the "splash" will form.

When the gate is buried, usually the inner circle is filled in. When the inner circle is completely filled in, the event horizon cannot form, so there is no wormhole or "splash". The cover stones usually fill in this circle ("Memento"). In rare instances the gate is buried without filling in the middle. In "100 Days", molten rock covered over the active gate, and cooled just above the event horizon, just like an iris. Therefore a wormhole could be established but matter could not reintegrate. The only matter that can reintegrate in such a small amount of space are subatomic particles, which can be used to create holograms or to heat up whatever may be covering the event horizon. In "100 Days" the rock was melted enough to make room for matter to reintegrate by using a particle accelerator. Then the "splash" carved out the rest.

PS - This has been discussed many, many, many times, so not to be mean, but run a search before posting a thread to make sure it has not been previously discussed a zillion times
    Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 07 October 2005, 07:10 PM.

Comment

A jet of steam will melt butter but leave steel untouched.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
        an interesting analogy, though i dont think it applies in this situation. remember, the material that covered over the gate in "100 Days" was molten naquadah. after there was room for matter to reintegrate, the "splash" successfully carved out a cavern. so if your analogy is suggesting that the splash does not cut out the iris simply because the iris is tougher, then how did the splash cut out the naquadah in "100 Days"? the difference in strength between naquadah and trinium has never been made clear, but even if trinium is stronger, i dont think the difference is comparable to the difference between butter and steal

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
          an interesting analogy, though i dont think it applies in this situation. remember, the material that covered over the gate in "100 Days" was molten naquadah. after there was room for matter to reintegrate, the "splash" successfully carved out a cavern. so if your analogy is suggesting that the splash does not cut out the iris simply because the iris is tougher, then how did the splash cut out the naquadah in "100 Days"? the difference in strength between naquadah and trinium has never been made clear, but even if trinium is stronger, i dont think the difference is comparable to the difference between butter and steal
          I thought it was just raging hot comet and mud and fire and rock and stuff that was covering it in 100 days. Might have been one of the gates wonderful safety protocols that prevented dialing at that time.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
            Very criptic answer ... have you been taking to Oma recently?
            I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
              Very criptic answer ... have you been taking to Oma recently?
              LOL...I think its a possibility!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X