Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the gate know when to shut down?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the gate know when to shut down?

Several times, we've seen a character linger a while before going through a gate. The gate stays open even though nothing is going through but shuts down as soon as the last person does go through. So how did the gate know that there was still someone waiting to step through? How does the gate know when to shutdown? Does the SGC computer send a signal to shutdown when everybody has gone through? Does the gate have some kind of sensor that can detect lifesigns in front of the gate?

Because it has an inbuild plot sensor.

Comment

Becuase it adds dramatic effect? Because the gate has a timer that shuts it down if no one goes through after a certain amount of time, and as soon as one thing goes through another, longer timer is set, then when the last person goes through Chevron Guy closes the gate.

Comment

I've thought about this and while Skyflame is ABSOLUTELY correct (producers don't want to show and akward 45 second shot of someone re-dialling the gate b/c they didn't go through quick enough) I think the answer that might be given (for SG Teams anyway) is that each member's IDC is sending a radio transmission through the gate. In other words, the IDC's are always transmitting some sort of signal and when a wormhole is open, each transmission goes through until the last IDC physically goes through the gate. Consequently, the hole stays open until all members are through (or 38 minutes lapse etc...).
        "It moisturizes my situation and maintains my sexy."

-- P. Diddy in an infomercial for Proactiv skin care

Comment

its never been said, but it makes sense that given as advanced as the gate technology is that there are some kind of sensors built in to monitor the area infront of the gate. the gate monitors the area infront of the entrance end of the gate and when it senses no one is in front of the gate anymore it ****s down when the last person is through.

Comment

cus its REALLY smart
            I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
            so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
            But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
            Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
            GW My home away from home....
            My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
              its never been said, but it makes sense that given as advanced as the gate technology is that there are some kind of sensors built in to monitor the area infront of the gate. the gate monitors the area infront of the entrance end of the gate and when it senses no one is in front of the gate anymore it ****s down when the last person is through.
              Apparently, though, it isn't smart enough to not engage when there are people standing in front of it about to be disintegrated by the "woosh".

Comment

Originally posted by Zekk
                cus its REALLY smart
                I like that one lol.
                I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Simple, Daniel twitches his nose like on Bewitched, and magicly the gate closes

Comment

Originally posted by AngelusInsomnus
                    Apparently, though, it isn't smart enough to not engage when there are people standing in front of it about to be disintegrated by the "woosh".
                    there must be a reason for that...
                    maybe its because you have this massive amount of energy coming your way. it has to go somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Skyflame
                      Because it has an inbuild plot sensor.
                      Whew, I fell out of my chair on this one.

Comment

I thought they use radio waves to keep the gate open.
                        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                        Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                          I thought they use radio waves to keep the gate open.
                          i thought so too.

Comment

Yup raidio or raidiation
                            I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
                            so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
                            But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
                            Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
                            GW My home away from home....
                            My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

The Furlings live in the gates. The Furlings are actually tiny beings, that's why in the four race meeting place the hologram was so big, so the Furlings could see. The Furlings are like mice, they run around in the inside track and spin the gate, their speed added with the gate's superconductivity allows wormholes to stay open. Each Furling has a job, many run around, some supervise, another acts like a sensor. When the sensor Furling sees that no one else is coming he yells out "DISENGAGE" or something similar and the Furlings somehow cut all power to the gate once the last person has passed through. When you see the gate open but no one is stepping through that means the Furlings are asleep.

It's 1:30 in the morning, cut me some slack
                              I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Working...
                              X