This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gate and Aging

Has anyone ever thought about the aging consequences of traveling through the gate thousands of times? Think about it...it takes a few seconds for matter to get from gate A to gate B, but the matter exiting is in the exact same configuration it was in when it entered gate A. Therefore, compounding the number of gate trips one takes, the rest of the world ages around the traveler.

Granted this process would take a while to catch up to the traveler:

365days/year*24hrs/day*60min/hr*60sec/min = 31,536,000second/yr

assuming it takes 10 seconds a trip (probably some trips longer, some shorter)

=3,153600 trips for the traveler to be one earth year behind in age that they should be.

so it would take awhile for anything to happen because of it, but something to think about.

-Chachi
    Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

Originally posted by Chachi
    Has anyone ever thought about the aging consequences of traveling through the gate thousands of times? Think about it...it takes a few seconds for matter to get from gate A to gate B, but the matter exiting is in the exact same configuration it was in when it entered gate A. Therefore, compounding the number of gate trips one takes, the rest of the world ages around the traveler.

=3,153600 trips for the traveler to be one earth year behind in age that they should be.

so it would take awhile for anything to happen because of it, but something to think about.

-Chachi
    So what you're saying is that time "stands still" relative to the gate-traveler from the perspective of Earth time? You've just discovered a way to stop aging!

Comment

There might be, but if the gate really does take you apart and put you back together again (never understood why it'd need to) then a bigger concern might be cancer or other cell mutations if it doesn't put Humpty Dumpty together again correctly.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Loophole

Comment

Okay, but that's over three million trips. I doubt many people at the SGC have personally made more than three hundred trips; even if SG-1 never had an earthbound episode and assuming an average of three trips per mission, we're looking at six hundred in almost ten years. At that rate, the flagship team will save one year of life for about fifty thousand years of active service.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

lol an interesting opinion, if you had a stargate in your back garden im sure you could test it out! lol

Comment

Perhaps this links to how the Ancients lived for so long.
              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I though about it and all the different ages everybody would end up. Of course, this is all relative to Earth days.

With Lantia having 28hour days, the Atlanteans are going to age slower than if they had stayed on Earth.

That's simple enough but then you add gate-travel in and it gets complicated.
                You gate off to different planets (obviously they're going to have different rotations) frequently, staying for however many hours/days, and so not only do you age differently to the Earth folk you know, but also to the people on Lantia you know.

When you think of all the different teams that go off to different worlds for different periods of time...well i don't think that anybody on Atlantis is aging on the same scale anymore.

But is it really that different to Earth? I mean with all the different time zones. If your birthday is the 1st Jan (UK), do you become a day younger if you fly to the USA, or a day older if you fly Australia? No, bc we don't think like that. We just go on the dates. The same applies to the effects of gate-travel only on a bigger scale.

In conclusion: my head hurts

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                  So what you're saying is that time "stands still" relative to the gate-traveler from the perspective of Earth time? You've just discovered a way to stop aging!
                  time diluation is a confusing thing. The ultimate way to live longer is to spend your whole life on a jumbo jet that never has to stop to restock/refuel and is always going at max speed, you would live ooooh id say 2, maybe 3 seconds longer

Comment

Ok I have one question how does stress go into this equation? It is proven that stress can seroiusly reduce your life span. So from all the stress from fighting Goa'uld and other alians you lose more then you gain. Tell me if you see a flaw in my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by col_oatmeal
                      Ok I have one question how does stress go into this equation? It is proven that stress can seroiusly reduce your life span. So from all the stress from fighting Goa'uld and other alians you lose more then you gain. Tell me if you see a flaw in my theory.
                      what if your someone that doesn't get stressed like that (someone that doesn't get stressed frm fighting, but gets stressed doing other things). then you would live longer as it would be a workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                        (never understood why it'd need to)
                        My theory on why the gate dematerializes a person before they go through is because the gate creates a different kind of wormhole than the large spacial wormholes of star trek...The gate is a temporary wormhole that goes one way, more like a very long range transporter device, where a spacial wormhole is a more permanant tunnel in subspace that is constant (unless unstable). A ship can enter and travel through both ways to shorten the distance between points A and B...My best guess...as for the discussion about stress, I agree with several points of view, stress can definentely affect a person's lifespan but the question is how...some people may actually live longer because their body was somehow made more sturdy by stress...others my die sooner because of stress...and as SmallTimePerson said, people feel differently about stress and people definentely react differently to it...

Comment

-Chachi

Similar phenomon occur during interconentinal airplane travel. Because gravity and velocity both cause time dilation, one can gain or lose many nanoseconds flying around the world. Experments using atomic clocks suggest a loss of 49-69 nanoseconds per circuit for those traveling eastward around the world while those flying Westword the same distance gain an astounding 266-280 nanoseconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan Deltoran
                            My theory on why the gate dematerializes a person before they go through is because the gate creates a different kind of wormhole than the large spacial wormholes of star trek...The gate is a temporary wormhole that goes one way, more like a very long range transporter device, where a spacial wormhole is a more permanant tunnel in subspace that is constant (unless unstable). A ship can enter and travel through both ways to shorten the distance between points A and B...My best guess...
                            But that's not really a theory. It just said "Different kind of wormhole", but all wormholes are the same pretty much.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                              But that's not really a theory. It just said "Different kind of wormhole", but all wormholes are the same pretty much.
                              I always assumed it was because, cool 3D effects asside, the wormhole has fewer then 3 dimensions. To connect two points in 3D space it would only have to have 1 spacial dimension. However, three dimensional matter can't exist in a 1 dimensional wormhole so it is converted to energy.

Comment

Working...
                              X