This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Shields

Are there any instences in the show that we can use to make calculation on how much energy an Asgard shield can withstand?

I don't think so.
    But, when Thor beamed sg-1 aboard his ship he said the internal shields (most likely inferior to external ones) would withstand the blast of a all the C4 they had brought aboard, that leads me to believe its alot.
    No other races ships have had the exact amount of energy they can withstand disclosed (i believe) so its doubtful they have or will explain the asgard shields

-erik

Comment

i was just wondering doesn't thier sheild strength depend greatly on the power source. so like when the prommie has thier sheild it is not as strong as it would be with the asgards due to the power that they can produce or am i wrong.

Comment

^
        On the Daedalus didn't they say the shields were weakened because they didn't have the ZPM?
        I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Originally posted by TrustNo1
          ^
          On the Daedalus didn't they say the shields were weakened because they didn't have the ZPM?
          i think so which is why i must ask this are asgards shields actually better than a gouald or just better cause they have a better power source.

Comment

Originally posted by The General
            Are there any instences in the show that we can use to make calculation on how much energy an Asgard shield can withstand?
            maybe when the daedalus
            Spoiler:
            fought with the wraith ships in siege 3 for the second time

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
              maybe when the daedalus
              Spoiler:
              fought with the wraith ships in siege 3 for the second time
              And do we know the strength of the wraith bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by The General
                And do we know the strength of the wraith bolts?
                no, but they have to use many shots to take out 1 satellite.

Comment

Well the shields WERE definitely boosted with the ZPM. However, chances are that the Asgard shields are also more advanced (and more efficient) than goa'uld shields as well.

Still, figure this. The hyperdrive was also boosted with the ZPM but even so was still not NEARLY as fast as the drive on an Asgard ship. That suggests that either the Daedalus doesn't actually have the most advanced hyperdrive or else that the Asgard power source is even more powerful than a ZPM (possible but questionable considering McKay's words in the ep where they found that experimental ancient power source; it seems likely he would know if the Asgard had a better power source but they wouldn't necessarily have told him how much power they can produce). Either way the Asgard certainly have a MUCH MUCH more powerful power source than what's on the Daedalus normally. Even with that, the D stood up to quite a bit of pounding from the hive ships and cruisers in the Siege pt 3. Anyone care to wager on the outcome if the Asgard ever sent a few O'Neill class ships on a mission to clean up the Pegasus galaxy, especially with the latest developments in the wraith?

Comment

* During the Episode "Nemesis" - 322 - The Beliskner (Asgard Mothership) - Thor Mentioned that the Beliskner is using (4) Nutrino Ion Generator -- I think this power source is probably to the equivalent of ZPM.
                    * The Gateworld Profile on the Asgard Mothership or Science Vessels also mentioned that the Asgard ship has the ability to travel using Hyperdrive in a matter of minutes between galaxy.
                    * The also used Nutrium power source (Nutrino Ion) based to dial the Stargate from Asgard homeworld to SGC.

DAEDALUS may have Asgard Hyperdrive, Shields and Beam Transport but I believe their Primary source of power are still Naquadah based. (Similar to Prometheus). I don't believe the Asgard has given Earth the Nutrion Ion Generator. (Nutrium based)

The Asgard New generation ship "The O'neil" probably can travel to Pegasus Galaxy in the matter of minutes.

Comment

They woudln't give us their power generators, its too powerful a technology, if the stargate went public then instantly hhumanity's energy needs would be met.

While four of the asgard nutrino-ion generators may well have a combined power output greater than a ZPM, keep in mind that the ZPM is still more advanced - you can hold it in your hands.

But at some point, I don't think all that matters is pure power generation, it's very likely that the Asgard hyperdrive, sheilds, and power distribution technology (ie wires, capacitors, resistors, etc) are much more efficient, and this can support a higher power input.

About that wager, if the Asgard decided to take on the Wraith, they could probably do it (although they seem to lack tactical thinking ability). They could attack and retreat at will because of their far superiod hyperdrive, thus they could weaken them as much as they wanted with hit and run attacks until they felt an all out attack was warranted. Also, I dont know how advanced it is compared to the Ancients, but the Asgard did have cloaking tech. as well.
                      So all in all, go Thor.
                      The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                        That suggests that either the Daedalus doesn't actually have the most advanced hyperdrive
                        When was it even suggested on the show that the Daedalus hyperdrive was the most advanced. All that was said is that it has intergalactic hyperdrive from the asgard, that doesnt suggest their most advanced ones. The hyperdrive Daedalus has could be hundreds of years out of date. It doesn't matter how much energy you dump into it, naquadah generator or zpm, If the technology can't handle it then that's it. The 4 day timeframe was probably the maximum for the Daedalus' hyperdrive not the max that they could go based on power. The ZPM only brought it up to it's max potential. If it had a more advanced drive while using the ZPM then it would have gone much faster.

Conclusion: The Asgard sold us their crap. lol.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

with our power generators we may not have to power to use one of thier most advanced intergalatic drives. so it maybe that the drive that we have is a lesser model since they don't wanna give us a better powersource.

Comment

Conclusion: The Asgard sold us their crap. lol.
                            Lol I guess you could see it that way, but i don't think we bought it, we dont have anything they really want, they just owe us. Besides, what they gave us is still pretty far beyond our understanding.
                            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

I don't think that the four neutrino ion generators, have a greater energy output than a zpm, you would have to compare Asgard shields, the ones they gave to us, the one that Anubis enhanced Goa'uld weaponry was able to penetrate, and the ones on the O'neill.

Comment

Working...
                              X