This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ground technology

i was searching for this but found nothing so i made a new thread. i was wondering if anyone thinks that there is any value in ground technology in use in the stargate world. what i mean by this is should area 51 start coming up with any new ground tech or should they just focus on space ships and such. feel free to speak your mind as well as give examples of tech that u would like to see used.

Originally posted by general ben
    i was searching for this but found nothing so i made a new thread. i was wondering if anyone thinks that there is any value in ground technology in use in the stargate world. what i mean by this is should area 51 start coming up with any new ground tech or should they just focus on space ships and such. feel free to speak your mind as well as give examples of tech that u would like to see used.
    By "ground technology" are you referring to something similar to the Tollan Ion Cannons? It seems that US government in the stargate universe thinks that spaceships are better off fighting other spaceships. Ground technology doesn't seem to much of a priority at the moment for the US government. They figure that most of the threats will come through the stargate, but "Lost city" blew that idea straight out the window. Spaceships have advantages over ground technology, such as being extremely mobile, ability to launch fighters, and other things that a shpacehsip can do defensively that a ground-based cannon or weapons system could do. Although one possible ground-technology we coukd use are missile-based weapons systems.

Just some ramblings on the subject. Add or subtract as you see fit.

Comment

by ground technology i was refering to anything that is used by ground forces. this can be to attack ships in space or in the atmosphere or for use against other ground forces. as well as how effective ground tech is in the stargate universe.

Comment

Do you mean non military deivces as well. It would be good to see something like a totally earth made transporter, an extra stong fibres that abosorbed impacts, energy blasts, gun fire, fire and shrapnal. That would be good for both military and civilian uses.
        I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

Originally posted by sandyer
          Do you mean non military deivces as well. It would be good to see something like a totally earth made transporter, an extra stong fibres that abosorbed impacts, energy blasts, gun fire, fire and shrapnal. That would be good for both military and civilian uses.
          yeah basically anything that can be used by ground units is what i am after, however i would like to keep it more in line with weapons tech.

For instance i have been thinking about a weapon mounted on a malp sized platform. it would allow for a moblie firing station in off world battles that could be easily sent through the stargate.

Comment

watch forever in a day they had a malp with a .50 cal mounted on it

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150
              watch forever in a day they had a malp with a .50 cal mounted on it
              thats the eps and weapon i was thinking of. y don't they have more of those how many times would those have come in handy. also i was wondering if ground tech is even worth while in everyones view. i think that it is and i am disappointed that there isn't more new stuff that they use.

Comment

the sgc mainly fought guerrila syle so vehicles wudnt hav bin very stealthy

Comment

I don't think they invest heavily in this sort of thing because the weapons our ground forces currently use are more than sufficient.

Comment

i know that the ground forces use stealth alot to get the job done but i still think they should have some options of vechiles that could be sent through the stargate inorder to either speed up a mission or provide some fire power, since we only have 2 ships, for now, and the daedulus is going back and forth to atlantis. so we only have the promethus if a team gets pinned down and it could take a while for the prommie to get there so having the ability to be able to send something that could provide close ground support would be very important in my opinion.

Comment

What about a gun that fires staff blasts at the speed of P-90's.
                      I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

Technology for use by SG trams.

First of all they should have mobile DHDs. What I envision is somthing like a naquedah generator acompanied by a device capable of controling a stargate. It would have all of current map of the galaxy in case the gate was out of date. Given that they already have sufficiently portable naquadah generators, that they have built a DHD (see the SGC), and that they have the schematics for the MW DHDs, this should not be a large problem to develop. It could do double duty as devastingly large explosive device if necessary.

Goa'uld grenades. This wouldn't be a new technology, but it could be useful for those times when one would like to capture some one or incapcitate someone.

Holographic decoys. Carter once used a holographic version of herself to decoy Jaffa away from Jack and Teal'c. We have also seen that a goa'uld holographic projecter is sufficiently small to be carried. what if that technology, and that of the Asgard could be adapted so that SG teams could count on the help of phantom personel. (We have already seen this tatic employed by Vala in space.)

Interstellar "radios". The Tok'ra and the goa'uld have portable device capable of instellar communication. It would be rather useful if SG teams could communicate with the SGC without having to resort to opening the stargate. (It is entirely possible that SG teams already have this capability, when the SGC feared that the SGC gate was malfunctioning, they ordered SGC teams in the field to return to the alpha site instead of the SGC. Or perhaps not - when the teams open the gate to SGC to return, they could have been informed at that time to instead go to the alpha site.)

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                          By "ground technology" are you referring to something similar to the Tollan Ion Cannons? It seems that US government in the stargate universe thinks that spaceships are better off fighting other spaceships. Ground technology doesn't seem to much of a priority at the moment for the US government. They figure that most of the threats will come through the stargate, but "Lost city" blew that idea straight out the window. Spaceships have advantages over ground technology, such as being extremely mobile, ability to launch fighters, and other things that a shpacehsip can do defensively that a ground-based cannon or weapons system could do. Although one possible ground-technology we coukd use are missile-based weapons systems.

Just some ramblings on the subject. Add or subtract as you see fit.
                          Thats only true while the Stargate program is secret. If it were public, and a complete planetary defense effort was made, they could probably build weapons on earth that are far more powerful than what could be mounted on a ship. For instance, weapon installations could have a powersource equal to or greater than that of a ship, but its solely reserved for a weapon, no engines or anything to worry about.

As for other tech, there are often instances where SG-teams could use more firepower An automated version of the Bradley fighting vehicle would greatly increase capability, especially if it could be controlled by off-world teams, OR by the SGC. If they can make them small enough to fit in the gate (probably possible through automation, no need for space for humans), they can use them as MALPs, and to kick butt if the need arrives. They could receive telemetry from UAVs launched as required.

Speaking of UAVs, why limit themselved to that? Why not use full fledged UCAVs that can bomb targets for them? No one else would have the ability to attack a planet solely through a stargate and have full air support, with no ships in space.
                          Last edited by helio9; 25 October 2005, 11:59 PM.
                          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9

As for other tech, there are often instances where SG-teams could use more firepower An automated version of the Bradley fighting vehicle would greatly increase capability, especially if it could be controlled by off-world teams, OR by the SGC. If they can make them small enough to fit in the gate (probably possible through automation, no need for space for humans), they can use them as MALPs, and to kick butt if the need arrives. They could receive telemetry from UAVs launched as required.
                            Actually a bradley could fit through the stargate but would be impractical to get through cheynee mountain, as it would be difficult if not impossible unless the crane above the stargate is used.
                            Originally posted by helio9
                            Speaking of UAVs, why limit themselved to that? Why not use full fledged UCAVs that can bomb targets for them? No one else would have the ability to attack a planet solely through a stargate and have full air support, with no ships in space.
                            I dont think its full air support as it lacks the ability to carry much weight and a single hit by a staff can knock it down.
                            Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
                            Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
                            - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
                            - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

I am certain that ground base defences are being devleoped, but the ability of a ship like the aircraft carrier is power projection. Earth itself can't really be the site of a battleground, too much is going to be lost.

With ships, you can create buffer zones to buy time and destory forces away from civilizan areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X