This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Stalker Discussion/Appreciation

The updated version of Kolchak was... interesting. It was enough to keep my attention and there are some interesting character dynamics, but I don't know how long they can keep this kinda stuff up before the show falls flat on its face.

Then again, I'm biased. Frank Spotnitz is not one of my favorite people. He's had his good moments, true, but he also did horrible things to the X-Files and I remain deeply skeptical of his abilities as an exec producer.

It will be interesting to see if he can manage to keep Night Stalker from becoming a regurgitated version of X-Files.

I know that leaving lots of questions unanswered at the end of an ep is very "cool" and all and it keeps viewers coming back to find out more, but there are some things I'd really prefer to know. Like, for instance, why the creatures took the little girl. And why they hid her in a cave. And how did she get onto that narrow little ledge. It didn't look very "coyote" accesible to me.

I don't mind not knowing why "they" kill pregnant women. I don't mind not understanding the significance of the marks on the wrist. Things like that are part of the developing series arc, questions that we'll go back to again and again, picking at it from all angles. But a little girl- and particularly that little girl- hauled off alive to some cave and essentially left there? That's an episode arc and I can't see us ever learning anything more about it. The case is wrapped, the investigation is ongoing, and the story is published. Turn the page.

And nevermind the convenience of finding acave large enough to drive a car into without it getting stuck, running over debris, or causing a cave-in.

Whatever. It was a decent ep. I might watch it again. But it isn't exactly the dawn of a new era of entertainment television.

I watched it tonight, too, because I was a big fan of "The X-Files" and thought overall it was okay. I wondered why the little girl was unharmed, and why her mother wasn't killed, as well. Oh well, guess I'll have to keep watching...
    Sig by Camy

Comment

Watched it and thought it was ok...

not spectacular, but good enough to get me in for a few more eps?

Did anybody else spot Darren McGavin in the office there for a split second? A nice bit of CGI.
      Thanks!
      Jordan

my page
      My LJ
      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

It wasn't bad at all. I could have done without another annoying little girl but maybe that's just because I'm not a big fan of kids at the moment.

It helps that Stuart Townsend makes for good eye candy.
        I like Gabrielle Union but the little scream fest at the end was...not good.

I will be watching again. It was actually one of the better new series scfi/supernatural premiers so far. I think I've seen most of them at least in part.

I was definitely getting an X-Files vibe but there are a few things that if used to their fullest could make Nightstalker stand apart. For one thing Kolchak is a bit more rational than Mulder and Perri(Gabrielle Union) is no Scully. Once again, as is becoming typical for all scifi shows we have the tech-nerd-geek (Vincenzo) in the background who will undoubtedly be showing us cool stuff in the future.

But as is becoming the theme for most of the new shows this season, they're skipping the detailed answers to pertinent questions. I hope they get around to the 'whys' and 'hows' at some point.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Well, considering that the original Kolchak is what inspired XF, it's inevitable that the new Kolchak will seem remeniscent of XF. But yeah... I've been giving it some more thought and I'm not sure it'll be a keeper. It's too derivative of... everything.

Comment

Working...
          X