This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did the ancients use "stasis" pods - spoilers for AURORA

Ok, something hit me with a "stupidity" brick when I was watching Aurora the other night. Why would the ancients use "stasis" pods to store their bodies over long periods. I know that they didnt always mean to store them for LONG periods, but storing them in that matter is just stupid to begin with given the other options at their disposal.

As we all know the problem with storing a body in an ancient stasis unit over the long haul is that the body dosnt "stop" aging, it simply slows it down a GREAT amount. This obviously only becomes a problem when storing bodies for a very long time (aka the aurora crew).

Here is my major beef. We have seen atleast 2 technologies within the stargate universe that would compleatly eliminate the need for the antequated ancient stasis pods. The first being the Wraith Darts - when the wraith darts "beam" you into their storage bay, you are kept as an energy inprint, this inprint shouldnt die, so as long as the power is maintained (same is true for the pods) it should keep you virtualy unchanged forever (not true of the pods). Ok, lets say for the sake of argument that the ancients couldnt use the wraith technology to do so (which is BS because McKay got it to work). The ancients already had a technology at their disposal that did the same thing. The gate... Every time youg get sent through the gate, you are turned into an energy inprint, then sent via wormhole to the other gate, then turned from an inprint into a person. And we already know that the gate can hold that inprint for atleast a short time (the 48 hours episode), your telling me that the ancients couldnt have figured out a technology based on that theory??

And by the way - the wraith could solve ALL their food needs if they could simply take the "inprint" of a electronicaly stored person, and copy paste the file a few million times. Thus making clones, but realy only reintegrating the same matter stream over and over again.

What do you all think?

Corpushominisanimusaltus

Bodyofamansoulofanancient

Well, to do the copy and paste thing, they would need a whole bunch of suitable matter, which shouldn't be too hard to get. Then they can be arranged according to the energy imprint. I guess the Wraith don't do it coz it means eating hte same emal over and over... bit like having the same cereal every day.

As for stasis pods, thats easy... its a plot device lol

It seems silly that the most advanced race in the galaxy cant even figure out how to suspend themselves for extended periods whent he technology is available to them to do it.

I guess the pods were on the ship so that they could be kept from aging on long trips, while still being able to monitor the ship via the virtual environment. They couldnt do that as an ergy imprint.

I don't know, tho, does that make sense?

The Ultimate Tech thread, for more discussions on FTL, ZPE, and pie

Relativity Q & A - Got questions? Want answers? Me too, but i got some answers too

Click this link to visit the place for my ideas and experiments to hide

Comment

nearly all advanced races can sperate the boy and conscience, the asgard can become a computer, why not stor mind and body seperate, so that the mind is intact while the body is an energy imprint.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

maybe the ancients thought the statis pods were the best option... ifyou freeze someone, they might crack when the ship shakes. if you store them as energy, you'd need to keep the energy buffer thing energized to maintain the energy pattern. although the convenient answer is that its a convenient plot device.

Comment

I first have to say, that of ALL the shows I have EVER seen, the stargate franchise is by far the best, it is my "infatuation" if you will. But lately all the "little" things like plot devices have kind of annoyed me. But maybe im just cranky. lol.

Corpushominisanimusaltus

Bodyofamansoulofanancient

Comment

Well, the statis pods work like the statis alcoves, right? They do something simular to freezing the person so they can survive for long times. Well, that probably takes very little energy to maintain, if any. So in the event of total power failure, the body is maintained. Energy imprints in Stargates or Wraith beamers randomize over time (being an imprint) and are probably very sensitive to energy distrubances (as with using a Stargate to store someone's pattern). The alcoves seem to be relatively sturdy devices (important in a "last ditch effort" device).

Comment

Originally posted by gamebeavis
              The first being the Wraith Darts - when the wraith darts "beam" you into their storage bay, you are kept as an energy inprint, this inprint shouldnt die, so as long as the power is maintained (same is true for the pods) it should keep you virtualy unchanged forever (not true of the pods). Ok, lets say for the sake of argument that the ancients couldnt use the wraith technology to do so (which is BS because McKay got it to work). The ancients already had a technology at their disposal that did the same thing. The gate...
              I agree, they probably had this technology because in Duet, McKay use the molecular restructuration device of the gate to beam the other body trapped in the Dart. So if this device is compatible with the Dart, it means they are technicaly similar; and we know that the Wraith designed there technology from the Ancient technology.
              I think they didn't use it because they had a very effective hyperdrive technology, so the travel durations were very short. In my opinion, they only used the pods when a person was sick and couldn't be treated immediately (like Jack in The Lost City), or onboard their ships when power generation failure obliged the life support system (and other power consumers units) to be shut down.
              Please forgive my English, I'm French

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Comment

Ok, something hit me with a "stupidity" brick when I was watching Aurora the other night. Why would the ancients use "stasis" pods to store their bodies over long periods. I know that they didnt always mean to store them for LONG periods, but storing them in that matter is just stupid to begin with given the other options at their disposal.
                Cost benefit. Stasis pods a very cheap and very simple in comparison to the kind of technology you were talking about. Second, stasis pods weren't designed for tens of thousands of years of use. They aren't a long term thing, they just happen to have been used that way in Aurora because the war didn't end in favour of the Ancients.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

The gate and beaming technology are not designed to store things for long periods of time, in the episode where Teal'c got trapped in the gate, they theorized that his patterns will fade after a shot amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                    Second, stasis pods weren't designed for tens of thousands of years of use. They aren't a long term thing, they just happen to have been used that way in Aurora because the war didn't end in favour of the Ancients.

I was thinking this too, they didn't plan on staying in their stasis pods for ten thousand years.

Comment

I agree with Giantevilhead...in most Science-Fiction series', the pattern of the matter being held in a device such as a transporter or stargate would degrade significantly over time...although in Star Trek it took 80 years or more...but still...ancients were in their pods for 10,000...

Comment

what about the pods in 'lifeboat'. Those were designed for a long time.
                        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

when the wraith darts "beam" you into their storage bay, you are kept as an energy inprint, this inprint shouldnt die, so as long as the power is maintained (same is true for the pods) it should keep you virtualy unchanged forever.

And by the way - the wraith could solve ALL their food needs if they could simply take the "inprint" of a electronicaly stored person, and copy paste the file a few million times. Thus making clones, but realy only reintegrating the same matter stream over and over again.

If what you assume of the darts is true, the Wraith could also temporarily solve their food needs by just "beaming" themselves into storage as opposed to hibernating.

I suspect we don't know everything about the darts yet. Maybe they also have a signal based time limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                            The gate and beaming technology are not designed to store things for long periods of time, in the episode where Teal'c got trapped in the gate, they theorized that his patterns will fade after a shot amount of time.
                            I believe the point of the original post was to say the likelihood of the ancients having sufficient means and technology to store bodies as energy imprints and them using statis pods instead is kind of silly. The technology that is used for gate travel and the culling beam should be able to be modified to fit the stated purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan Deltoran
                              I agree with Giantevilhead...in most Science-Fiction series', the pattern of the matter being held in a device such as a transporter or stargate would degrade significantly over time...although in Star Trek it took 80 years or more...but still...ancients were in their pods for 10,000...
                              You're right, but that is stange. The Goa'uld use cristals to store information for several thousand years. In Stargate, all advanced civilisations use cristals to store information. So why Ancient cristals can't store information for long periods of time, whereas the Goa'uld can, especially if Goa'uld technology comes from Ancient technology ?
                              Please forgive my English, I'm French

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Comment

Working...
                              X