Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Asgard Nuetrino Ion engines just got served....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Asgard Nuetrino Ion engines just got served....

Through my digging into the world of particles and astronomy..I have found the energy output that just plain kills the Asgards engines.

The Antimatter Output:

1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter =

180 quadrillion Joules....

Asgards...got....served....

1 kg antimatter + 1kg matter = your ship and everything within several hundred thousand kilometers toast too difficult to regulate that kind of reaction

Comment

With the technology standpoint of the Asgard or Ancients, they could easily control the antimatter flow to get all that sweet, sweet energy.

Comment

I agree i mean we are talkin bout Thor, the guy who has a computer that can make anything he can imagine
        I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
        so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
        But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
        Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
        GW My home away from home....
        My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

idk though, i bet they cant regulate the reaction. we know they dont use M/AM so there must be a reason. It cant be that they dont know about it. And I doubt they have a problem making it. Although it is very difficult for us to make and contain it, they could probably do it. So then why dont they use it? The only thing that makes sense is that they cant regulate the reaction, or they think its too dangerous to work with.

Comment

It isn't that hard to control the reaction...all you need is to pump the M/AM into the main part of the engine that would be encased by Naquadah which would absorb the energy

Comment

That may be so, but it's not practical. Scientists have produced two billionths of a gram of antimatter. They estimate that one single gram of antimatter would cost several billion dollars to make. Guess what, it's all done with magnets.

Best Stargate quote:
              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
              Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Myst_Lore
                It isn't that hard to control the reaction...all you need is to pump the M/AM into the main part of the engine that would be encased by Naquadah which would absorb the energy
                lol, firstly, Naquadah isnt real, so we have no idea if it would absorb the energy. second, since we have seen that naquadah tends to enhance explosive effects, i dont think thats something you want to have near a matter/antimatter reaction

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                  lol, firstly, Naquadah isnt real, so we have no idea if it would absorb the energy. second, since we have seen that naquadah tends to enhance explosive effects, i dont think thats something you want to have near a matter/antimatter reaction

what he said.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

Guys...its Sci-Fi...and what's to say that it isn't possible somehow...we're not close to that level of technology yet...(or are we? )...

Comment

If anyone remembers their Star Trek lore (or indeed Star Trek lol) they will remember that they too used matter/anti-matter reactions to power the warp drive.

Some factoids: A 100% efficient reaction of 1 kg of matter to energy would produce about 8.9E16* joules. By comparison, the sun produces about 3.8E26 per second, so thats the equivalent of about 4.3E9, or 4.3 billion kilograms of matter converted to pure energy every second. The mass of the sun is about 1.9E30 kilograms.

A controlled reaction would have to emit and radiate (assuming a focused beam) an incredible small amount of energy from a matter/antimatter reaction per second, otherwise it would surely irradiate/disintegrate your starship

Antimatter bombs are a better idea: just make sure you have the time set for more than 5 minutes, and get scootin'!

* E notation means 'times 10 to the power of'

Pryor of the Ori

Comment

Originally posted by csand36
                        That may be so, but it's not practical. Scientists have produced two billionths of a gram of antimatter. They estimate that one single gram of antimatter would cost several billion dollars to make. Guess what, it's all done with magnets.
                        In the early 1940s America was struggling to extract a few milligrams of Uranium, by the end of the war... well, we all know what happened there.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

A reactor capable of extracting energy from antimatter would be very difficult to keep within acceptable operating temperatures. The cooling system would require a radical approach. In the sci-fi world, maybe light can be used to do the trick, much like the researchers who worked on the experiment to test the Bose-Einstein cloud theory. Magnets and lazer light.

Comment

1 kg antimatter + 1kg matter = your ship and everything within several hundred thousand kilometers toast too difficult to regulate that kind of reaction
                            Yeah, same thing happens if you burn all the fuel an airliner carries at once. Which is why it's not all burned at once.

Originally posted by CueBa'al
                            A reactor capable of extracting energy from antimatter would be very difficult to keep within acceptable operating temperatures.
                            What are acceptable operating temperatures for a matter/antimatter reactor?

The cooling system would require a radical approach. In the sci-fi world, maybe light can be used to do the trick, much like the researchers who worked on the experiment to test the Bose-Einstein cloud theory. Magnets and lazer light.
                            What sort of radical approach. Describe the operation of such a reactor for me.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

idk though, i bet they cant regulate the reaction. we know they dont use M/AM so there must be a reason. It cant be that they dont know about it. And I doubt they have a problem making it. Although it is very difficult for us to make and contain it, they could probably do it. So then why dont they use it? The only thing that makes sense is that they cant regulate the reaction, or they think its too dangerous to work with.
                              "The only thing that makes sense"?

Come on. You are brighter than that (demonstrably by your earlier posts, so I'm not calling you dumb on the sly).

Why not use antimatter? Let's try some alternate hypotheses...

Could be that if you lose power you blow up? After all, you can't contain antimatter with any physical container because it will touch it and annihilate.

That's one other thing that "makes sense".

How about some other ideas as to why you wouldn't want an anti-matter reactor in your ship?

Originally posted by CueBa'al
                              A reactor capable of extracting energy from antimatter would be very difficult to keep within acceptable operating temperatures. The cooling system would require a radical approach. In the sci-fi world, maybe light can be used to do the trick, much like the researchers who worked on the experiment to test the Bose-Einstein cloud theory. Magnets and lazer light.
                              When you are way out on the hypothetical limb, maybe you need to use a few more caveats. As we have no idea what a reactor capable of extracting energy from an antimattter system would be like in the first place, we have no idea what its operating temperature would be... only guesstimates on top of suppositions built on some conjectures.

Comment

Working...
                              X