This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invasion Discussion /Appreciation

I believe this is the last of the new major network scifi series premiers.

My impression was it was ok. It didn't wow me, but the timeslot is a good one so chances are I will tune in to the next episode.

It was everything I thought it would be, predictable. They didn't offer up any new ideas. It's very Invasion of the Body Snatchers and definitely had some similarities to Threshold.

The one thing I do have to say to the little girl though: shut up about the lights already. No one saw them but you.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

I liked it overall - its from the same folks who did "American Gothic" a few years back and I really liked that show. It IS a lot like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

That little girl chasing her cat was irritating though.

It has possibilities - I'll watch it again. We'll see if they can "hook" me.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

What a festering pile of camel dung.

If this is the best new series of the season, the season is in trouble.

Was there ANY character cliche that was NOT hit?

The Evil (Corporate/Military) Bigwig. If the sheriff been any more malevolent, he'd have had horns and a tail.

The Good (Nature/Humanitarian) Little Guy. Ranger Smith, protecting the inhabitants of Jellystone Park. He's going to be way in over his head when he realizes he has more to worry about than a picnic basket-snatching bear.

The Paranoid but Affable Loser. Has there ever been a conspiracy theorist who wasn't so irredeemably pathetic?

The Ethereal Little Girl. You KNOW she's the key to everything because she's an adorable little girl who overpronounces her words.

The Innocent Victim. Poor mom. She's gonna fight this thing because it's about her CHILDREN, dammit!

The Troubled Teen. Sheriff Buck's girl is gonna cause waves. And she's gonna be shipped with Ranger Smith's boy. Er... unless they're related. I wasn't entirely clear on who belonged to whom.

The "aliens among us" theme is nothing new, but there are ways to make it interesting. Invasion didn't bother. It hit every cliche, spot on.

I won't be watching this one again.

Comment

I thought it was meh but I'll be watching again. Didnt really impress me much with its storytelling.
        "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

It's okay...

I'm really impaitent. I kept on waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the aliens to show up... Kind of disappointed considering all the hype about it...

My mom took Lola out for a walk so she missed about half of it and she asked what happened. Only then did I realize how little did happen.

Hurricane, and strange lights... that's about it...

*shrug*

I'll be watching it again, but if it interferes with Veronica Mars I won't be watching it

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Pretty meh. Cliches everywhere and it was subtle like a brick. That little girl was quite possibly the most annoying child ever.

Comment

Agree with all of the above. Threshold was mediocre enough to warrant a review about its hits and misses. Invasion was so "Meh" that I can hardly muster the desire to engage it.

Really, there wasn't anything more to it than we saw in the 30-second promos. It's a hurricane, but it's apparently being used by aliens as a cover for a very subtle invasion. An invasion that involves body-snatching. And that's about it.

Oh, and there's some sort of "family drama." A recent divorce and child custody issues. An annoying but cute kid. (Note to television writers: Don't pin 15 minutes of drama on a kid doing something so repulsively stupid that you want her to be found only so that you can watch someone bash her head with a brick.)

We missed Surface on Monday, but we'll catch the repeat on SCI FI on Friday. After two series premieres, I have to say: What Lost has done is to inspire dramas where the writers try to weave the sci-fi and fantastic elements in very subtly. So far, they're not doing it well. These are shows with sci-fi premises that are trying to tell their stories keeping the sci-fi elements as deep into the background as humanly possible.

Lost keeps the sci-fi elements subtle, but they can do it because the show is not fundamentally about that. With Threshold and Invasion, the shows' very premises are about the sci-fi set-up. They'd better not shy away from making those a fundamental part of every episode, or they'll implode. You have to let the stories you tell be guided by your premise.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

so far Threshold is holding my attenion, the other new shows not so much
                My DVD Collection http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=deathshadow

Comment

Quick question, can someone list the nights and times these are on in the US. I dont watch network TV and I dont get any type of channel guide. The only one I know is Threshold and I wont be watching that because of Stargate (TV #1) and College football (TV#2). I guess I can catch the Threshold re-runs after both seasons are over but I wouldnt mind getting a look at Surface and Invasion now. However, from your reactions so far I expect they will both be cancelled in a season or two.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                    n annoying but cute kid. (Note to television writers: Don't pin 15 minutes of drama on a kid doing something so repulsively stupid that you want her to be found only so that you can watch someone bash her head with a brick.)
                    Thank god you said it because I felt a little guilty about wishing she'd get eaten by a croc for being so stupid.

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    Quick question, can someone list the nights and times these are on in the US. I dont watch network TV and I dont get any type of channel guide. The only one I know is Threshold and I wont be watching that because of Stargate (TV #1) and College football (TV#2). I guess I can catch the Threshold re-runs after both seasons are over but I wouldnt mind getting a look at Surface and Invasion now. However, from your reactions so far I expect they will both be cancelled in a season or two.
                    Threshold is on Friday nights at 9pm CBS
                    Surface is on Monday nights at 8pm NBC
                    Invasion is on Wednesday nights at 10pm ABC
                    Nightstalker Premiers Thursday 9/29 at 9pm ABC

Eastern standard time btw.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Personally, Threshold held more of my attention than all of these new 'sci-fi shows' on regular network TV. I tried watching Surface, but I lost interest after 30 minutes, remembering it's a cross between Jaws and SeaQuest (which I used to love when I was younger)...but I MIGHT give it another chance, but I doubt I will 'catch on' to it. Invasion, I didn't like it. The whole thing with the little kid was 'eh', but the thing with the strange paranoid 'uncle' was more annoying to me than anything. Why would you leave that guy with your kids in the first place? Another thing, Invasion is suppose to be a family show? Huh, that's a first considering it comes on at 10pm...and other than the characters connected together as a family, what other evidence it is a family show?

So that's it, I'll watch Threshold and then catch SG1 and SGA during commercials and then when Sci-fi repeats it again later. No problem.

Gizmo
                      "For some reason I am compelled to say: 'tag, you're it.' Huh..."

Comment

I was on another website where people were giving reviews for this show and someone mentioned that the young actors out-acted the adults and as a result the show would probably do better on the WB. I think I have to agree with that. It does have a similar feeling to some other WB series and if the show ultimately doesn't do well on ABC I suspect it would do better on the WB.

They made a smart decision with the Lost lead in however which gives it a better chance than Threshold of beinng watched on the basis of convenience.

Comment

I want to know how much reviewers were paid to rave about this show... and if they've ever had any previous exposure to the scifi genre before. Maybe if you've lived in a cave all your life and have heard nothing of Bodysnatchers or Stepford Wives or any one of billions of similar scifi stories (including all of Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Tales from the Darkside, etc) you might, POSSIBLY think that Invasion is new and original. But even then I'd have doubts... about the reviewer's IQ level if nothing else.

Best new series of the season my assegai.

Comment

I won't watch it. Wait which one is this one, there so many new scifi show on Network TV forget which one is which.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's the one where the aliens have landed and are taking over people.

Oh, wait, that describes several of them, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X