This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface Discussion/Appreciation

Did anyone else watch the premier of Surface on NBC?

I watched most of it but I was a bit distracted and I missed the first few minutes. It had a nice intensity to it though so I'll definitely be tuning in next week.
    Last edited by MarshAngel; 11 October 2005, 04:31 AM. Reason: spoiler warning

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

I liked it. Since I saw the ad for it which featured the nuclear sub with the king sized bite marks on the hull, I knew it was someting for me to see. Good premiere episode, sort've like the opening chapter of a novel in how it introduced the characters and thier situtuations in a slow, deliberate fashion. I'll definitly be thier for next week's episode.

Comment

Don't know how they can keep this thing going for long, but it wasn't bad. Had more of a mini-series feel to it. Didn't care for the end when mom took wee sprog with her. When investigating the unusual. . leave kiddies at HOME. *shaking head*

I'll watch it again next week though.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

it did have some intensity, but i have to wonder where it's going.

in a way, it's a lot like lost, the mystery is its appeal, and if the mystery is solved too soon, there goes some of the appeal

this is the type of show where, while the effects may be cool, the writing is what'll make or break it
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Anyone catch this 'underwater' sci-fi show? Well i think its sci-fi... I didnt think it was super boring like what Kristen at Eonline said, it was quite interesting.

I was interested in all the characters that aren't directly connected to each other, i like that in a show.
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

It's not Sci Fi, it's NBC which of course makes me nervous. Not only that but any association with SeaQuest or Jonathan Sebastion in general makes me nervous..ok, that was a joke.

It's too early to tell but my prediction is that watching the special edition of the Abyss will still be the way to go, but I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I think possibly Fox is also launching a Sci Fi show possibly called "Invasion" about aliens using hurricanes as a coverup for landings/invasions. This one makes me even MORE nervous-did they put together the concept of the show in the last two weeks just to cash in on Katrina-madness?? Or was the government purposely letting Katrina's damage build up to maximum just to help promote a show they've been sitting on for years?? ...ok, that was another joke/lol.

Comment

I somewhat liked it, but being a fisheries/marine biology major, I'd LOVE any show that focuses on the ocean. That said though, the writers seriously need to do more research on diving rates for Mystic-class DSRV's, as well as general characteristics of said class of subs--using one as a research sub would be like using a semi as the family car, and for the love of god, better dialog. Please. And don't even get me started about the red tide thing.

Folks, you can do better. Do so.
              Last edited by alaskannut; 19 September 2005, 09:35 PM.
              sigpic
              Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
              "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

I wasn't too keen on it. It felt too B-Movie of the Week to me and I didn't find any of the characters engaging. I'll admit to being curious about what exactly is in the water but I don't see much longevity in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  the writing is what'll make or break it
                  Which could possibly be a problem, seeing as I found the writing to be the greatest negative
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                    When investigating the unusual. . leave kiddies at HOME. *shaking head*
                    Or use them as sea monster bait

What I want to know is just what is with the whole secrecy thing...that just would not be possible, nor advisable in real life considering the nature of these creatures and how wide spread they seem to be, and just feels horribly cliched.
                    sigpic

Comment

I thought the scenes that seemed to be 'dramatic' weren't dramatic enough, like when the main character (sorry, i just can't remember any of their names) was exclaiming that she should be part of whatever the military is going to do because she saw it personally up close or whatever. She seemed calm and twitchy at the sametime, i thought i was watching someone who had a touch of tourrettes sydnrome. Nevertheless, i still love Lake Bell.

I think NBC Monday is quite an interesting place to devote time for, because Medium is on later...

Comment

I think Surface has potential, but I wasn't bowled over by the premiere. In the first place, I thought they tried to cram too much into one ep: too many different groups of characters, too many different scenes in different places--can easily lead a viewer astray. Next week looks better, though. We'll see.
                        Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
                          I think Surface has potential, but I wasn't bowled over by the premiere. In the first place, I thought they tried to cram too much into one ep: too many different groups of characters, too many different scenes in different places--can easily lead a viewer astray. Next week looks better, though. We'll see.
                          I agree! I would have been happu if they simply just introduced the little kid (the one who put one of the sea aliens into his fish tank) in a later episode or something.

Comment

Bleagh.

This show leaves me cold. Franky I find none of the characters particularly intriguing or likeable. The abrasive single mom with her precocious kid. The nerdy little Kenny with his standard-issue bratty older sister. The half-crazed redneck and his longsuffering wife. Haven't I seen these people before? It's not quite as bad as the soap opera tangle of family relations that is "Invasion," but it's ultimately disappointing.

Dammit, I want me some Giant Monster Action! Forget bonding with the monster and raising it as your own; I want that thing stomping all over Tokyo, RIGHT NOW!

Bleagh
                            Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                            I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                            What have these years left to me?
                            Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

The second episode did a little better by the lead characters. Half-Crazed Redneck and Abrasive Single Mom are getting more interesting -- and not just in a fishing-with-dynamite kind of way.

And! It had ...
                              Spoiler:
                              Giant, Boat-Swallowing Monster Action!
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X