This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why So Many Sci-Fi Shows This Season?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but what's the reason for it? The "major" networks are going into Skiffy's genre this year. Look at these new shows:

ABC: Invasion
    Night Stalker (remake)
    CBS: Threshhold
    NBC: Surface
    WB: Supernatural

These shows will premiere over the next few weeks. What's motivating these programming decisions? Could it be:

1) ABC's success with Lost? (Not sci-fi, but appeals to sci-fi viewers)

2) The long-running success of the Stargate franchise and its spin-off, plus Skiffy's success with BSG?

3) The cyclical nature of TV (i.e., different types of shows succeed for a few years; then interest dies out for awhile. Are the major nets just ready to roll the dice on science fiction again?)?

4) Something else entirely?

I'm interested in what other sci-fi fans think. I'm anxious to read your opinions!

I'll take TV execs trying to imitate the success of BSG and the Stargates
    sigpic

Comment

I think all your reasons are good, but the most important one is the networks' desire to duplicate "Lost." All these shows are not sci-fi in the manner of the space cowboy stories of Stargate or BSG, but are more related to the spooky, this-world, something is weird and not quite right stories of "Lost."

Comment

I read somewhere that it was surprising that there wasn't more clones of Desperate Hosewives. There was supposed to a clone starring Kristen Davis (from Sex & the City) about a soccer mom turn FBI agent (or something like that), but it got turn down. The article talked about how it was Lost that all the television networks wanted to clone. I'm happy that science fiction is finally getting the attention that it deserves. That means just maybe, a science fiction show can and will win in all the top catergories at the EMMYs. I'm kinda of upset that Patrick Stewart didn't win an Emmy during his tenure on TNG. Because I have always felt that they (the voters of the Emmys) didn't understand or didn't want to understand science fiction tv.

So I wish all the new science fiction shows the best of luck, and may the best one win!
        Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

Yeah, they are definitely jumping on the "Lost" bandwagon. At least, that is what I have read. Personally, I don't care! I'm just glad to have more SciFi on TV!! Don't get me wrong, I love SG1, SGA and BSG, but it will be nice to have other interesting SciFi shows to watch. I sometimes think I start obsessing over Stargate ...
          Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
            Yeah, they are definitely jumping on the "Lost" bandwagon. At least, that is what I have read. Personally, I don't care! I'm just glad to have more SciFi on TV!! Don't get me wrong, I love SG1, SGA and BSG, but it will be nice to have other interesting SciFi shows to watch. I sometimes think I start obsessing over Stargate ...
            I hate that Threshold is going to be on Friday nights, though. Oh, well, that's why God made VCRs and Tivo. But SciFi and CBS are owned by the same parent company.....so you'd think they wouldn't program directly against each other.....

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
              Me too...this can't be healthy...

I've often thought of creating a sci fi hit. *sighs dreamily* but what would it be about? Hmm...

I think the Sci Fi channel really needs to beef up on it's programming. I hate the cheesy flicks they show and call them "Original Sci Fi Pictures". More like Original Knockoffs of Knockoffs of Knockoffs. They really could show better stuff. Why not bring back Viper! That was kind of Sci Fi! Pretender - if not just to show Micheal T Weiss, Cleopatra 2020, which was so cheesy it was good, I mean, COME ON!! Get it into GEAR! And when all else fails - SG spin offs included - search for more great sci fi series titles. They've gotta be out there!
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Competition and ratings are what drive the various networks to premiere different shows. If a network sees how successful another network is with a particular series or show, then there's a pretty good chance that network is going to try and emulate that other network's success by creating a similar show.

And about the Sci-fi Originals. Just stop making the darn things, because no one probably watches that junk for very long anyway. Most of the sci-fi originals are somewhat un-original, or just plain bad. Quit wasting money on trash and start spending money where it counts.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                  Competition and ratings are what drive the various networks to premiere different shows. If a network sees how successful another network is with a particular series or show, then there's a pretty good chance that network is going to try and emulate that other network's success by creating a similar show.

And about the Sci-fi Originals. Just stop making the darn things, because no one probably watches that junk for very long anyway. Most of the sci-fi originals are somewhat un-original, or just plain bad. Quit wasting money on trash and start spending money where it counts.
                  No kidding! I agree that most of those things are dogs! They'd do better to spend more money on their real shows, or developing some more series.

Comment

So far I have seen the following from the list at the top:

CBS: Threshhold
                    WB: Supernatural

And now for some reviews:
                    Threshold-It was, for the lack of a better word, a pile of crap. Bad acting, bad storyline, bad facts. Most of what they did about the government, military, and science is wrong. It seems as if the actors are reading off the script right at the moment they are on camera. There are giant plot holes and when it ends you are filled with anger because you just wasted two hours.

Supernatural-I caught the first episode of this new series a week before it came out on the network. The WB had it on their website for people to watch. It is actually ok. Solid acting and a storyline that could play out in several different ways. The only real problem I had with it is that the pilot was too short. I wanted to see more.

Comment

No one's original anymore - ESPECIALLY network television.

Jerks. Why can't they stick to their stupid Lost, Desperate Housewives, their lame reality TV shows and ever-successful formulaic criminal dramas?

I wonder if they even have the patience to deal with scifi shows anymore, if the likes of Firefly are any indication.

For me, scifi on network television died with The X-Files.

Comment

well i've only seen Threshhold so far and it seems pretty good
                        My DVD Collection http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=deathshadow

Comment

I agree that the SciFi Original Movies are pretty crappy, but that dinosaur flick actually beat out SciFi Friday a few weeks ago, didn't it? How that happened, I'll never know. Sheesh.

Still, I don't want SciFi to develop a bunch of series, because if they were to become successful, then SciFi'd get arrogant and assume that shows like, uh, Stargate SG-1 are expendable. Stargate SG-1 is good as it is and has been for a long time, but if they had had a bunch of other REALLY successful shows to choose from, some serious rearranging could have happened that would have been detrimental to the series. Yipes.

As long as they are solely dependant upon their current SciFi Friday Line-up, I don't think we'll really have to worry about whether or not future seasons of SG-1 or Atlantis are forthcoming. Talk about security.

Comment

I didn't think Threshold was so bad, but I didn't care much for it. Surface premieres tonight. I think I'll try it out, if for nothing else, just to satisfy my curiousity over the hype.

Comment

Surface-This is more like it. Much better than that piece called Threshold. It uses an story that is somewhat original and plays it well. The computer animation is of a fairly high quality and they got most of their facts right. It seems that they put some hard work into this one. They also did not gove away the whole story in the first episode. I recommend catching this if you have the time. I know I will.

edit:

Supernatural-I caught the second episode. I still hold to my original conclusion. While this episode was not as good as the first I still feel that it is worth watching.
                              Last edited by OakRidge; 21 September 2005, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X