PDA

View Full Version : Cthulhu mythos in season 10

lilslim142000
September 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM
If there's a season 10 do you think the show can use the Cthulhu mythos?

Qasim
September 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM
The what?

Auralis
September 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Heck no, Cthulhu is realy mega boring all angst stuff.
Thats more BSG style, but even for them it would be to depressing and insane.

LaCroix
September 12th, 2005, 10:12 AM
The what?

Think H.P. Lovecraft. The Old Ones.

jimmytheclaw
September 12th, 2005, 10:14 AM
would be nice if they covered the gilgamesh mythology maybe link it to a device to fight the ori. fwiw gilgamesh is an epic story found on cuiform tablets (oldest writing) its a pre flood story of a half man half god hero who fights the gods and wins

Qasim
September 12th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have a link which explains this stuff

jimmytheclaw
September 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM
for my post just google gilgamesh and hit the archeology sites. you will also find it mixed in with a lot of sites that cover the nephilim/fallen angel/aliens/sons of god. its really good mythology and ive always wondered why tptb never even touched on it.

Metarock Sam
September 12th, 2005, 12:43 PM
It would probably end up as a fallen ancient story or something ehich they kind of touched up in Seaon 5's Ascension.

ShadowMaat
September 12th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I've always wanted to see SG-1 go up against Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Shub-Niggurath and all the rest (they even have their very own sunken city and a whole bit about Antarctica), but I don't think it will ever happen. *sigh* I did a fic about it once, but it wasn't a very good one. Still fun to write, though. ;)

I don't think TPTB are into Lovecraft. And I don't think they could ever possibly do justice to Lovecraft's stuff.

Mr Prophet
September 12th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I've always wanted to see SG-1 go up against Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Shub-Niggurath and all the rest (they even have their very own sunken city and a whole bit about Antarctica), but I don't think it will ever happen. *sigh* I did a fic about it once, but it wasn't a very good one. Still fun to write, though. ;)

I don't think TPTB are into Lovecraft. And I don't think they could ever possibly do justice to Lovecraft's stuff.

For starters, SG-1 would never scream and run away, while the red shirts died of horror and Daniel read a bit of the Necronomicon he really shouldn't have.

Okay; Daniel would read the bit of the Necronomicon that he shouldn't have, but then they'd find a way to kick Azathoth's arse, because they're SG-1 and compared to SG-1 even the Great Old Ones are only so-so. :rolleyes:

I've also written a few Lovecrafty fanfics - mostly deep one based - but no full-fledged SG-1 vs Cthulhu or anything.

There's a sex shop in Soho called Lovecraft; the mind boggles!

NotANumber
September 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM
It might be difficult. Didn't J. Michael Straczynski use some of that material for Babylon 5? I think the move Thirdspace specifically referenced Lovecraft, but the themes also appeared in the series.

robby
September 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
If there's a season 10 do you think the show can use the Cthulhu mythos?

Only, and I STRESS ONLY, if they played "The Call Of Ktulu" at some point in the episode.

LaCroix
September 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
It might be difficult. Didn't J. Michael Straczynski use some of that material for Babylon 5? I think the move Thirdspace specifically referenced Lovecraft, but the themes also appeared in the series.

Yes he did. Also Joss Whedon with Buffy and Angel.

Eoin
September 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Can someone please explain Cthulhu(what it is exactly)..... i got a headache when i just tried to pronounce the word :S and it still hurts.... so im looking forward to reading what it means
:)

Osiris-RA
September 12th, 2005, 06:16 PM
yeah, how do you pronouce that...see-thulthu? see-tulhu, see-thulhu, ack...:S

Sg1 probably'd do better dipping thier lovely toes into the myth of the Fallen Angels. wait...X-files already did that...:S

robby
September 12th, 2005, 06:28 PM
It's "Cuh-too-loo"

Eoin
September 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM
It's "Cuh-too-loo"
and the meaning :confused:

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Stick with the Ori in Season 10. The Cthulhu mythos is too comfusing to me.

robby
September 12th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Allegedly, Cthulhu is a god-like alien creature that, if disturbed from it's slumber, would wreak havoc on all the world. I'd go more in-depth, but I just don't know that much about it, except it made for one kick-ass instrumental.

LaCroix
September 12th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Allegedly, Cthulhu is a god-like alien creature that, if disturbed from it's slumber, would wreak havoc on all the world. I'd go more in-depth, but I just don't know that much about it, except it made for one kick-ass instrumental.

Are you talking about one of Metallica's songs?

robby
September 12th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Yes. Yes I am. Great tune. Listen to it with the Orchestra.

Eoin
September 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Stick with the Ori in Season 10. The Cthulhu mythos is too comfusing to me.
Agreed... My head still hurts from trying to pronoune the word...
i can imagine trying to follow it in stargate...my head would explode....
2 examples of my head if i watched stargate cthulhu..first 2 min= http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/Eoin087/Smilies/Bombexploding.gif
cthulhu entering my head http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/Eoin087/Smilies/Pumpheadexplode.gif

Thanks...i think ill pass the cthulhu thing :S

the fifth man
September 12th, 2005, 08:08 PM
While that would be interesting, I think tptb should stay on their current course. They've already changed the main baddies on us, I think there is a lot left to explore with the Ori. If they changed things again in season 10, that would probably for sure be the last season.

Giantevilhead
September 12th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Not only would the Cthulhu mythos make no sense, there's no way for SG1 to beat the Old Ones and the Outer Gods. They can't be fought and they can destroy galaxies with a thought.

LaCroix
September 13th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Not only would the Cthulhu mythos make no sense, there's no way for SG1 to beat the Old Ones and the Outer Gods. They can't be fought and they can destroy galaxies with a thought.

Also, the Orii and the Anicents would be pikers as far as the Old Ones.

Nyarlathotep
September 13th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Metarock Sam
September 13th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Lets just get the Orii sorted out first.

Mr Prophet
September 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Cthulhu is thought to be a Greek form of the Arabic khadhulu, meaning forsaker; a term used for Satan in the Qu'ran. There are difficulties with this interpretation, however, as there exist references to Cthulhu predating the Arabic. It could also be an Assyrian portmanteau word mating alu'u (demon) and khatu (evil), or related to the Hebrew chadel, a term for Hell, or Sheol.

Then again, in Sanskrit the word katala describes a large sea monster and Cthulhu is a squid-like entity, closely tied to water; his servants are the Deep Ones, part-fish, part-frog, part-human abominations who breed with humans to produce offspring who seem human at first, but later seek the sea and become as their immortal parents, and the greatest of them is Dagon, god of the Philistines. In Chinese, the name is Kui tai lao hai, literally ancient evil demon of the ocean.

Perhaps the truth is that the name predates all of these, and in all the elder tongues of the world - except the Ancient Egyptian - Cthulhu has come to be a word of dread.

Heavily cribbed from In Rerum Supernaturum, in CoC 5.5

In layman's terms; this dude (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/%7Edamerell/CUWoCS/pix/cthulhu.gif).

Mr Prophet
September 13th, 2005, 08:52 AM

La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi.

Eoin
September 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Cthulhu is thought to be a Greek form of the Arabic khadhulu, meaning forsaker; a term used for Satan in the Qu'ran. There are difficulties with this interpretation, however, as there exist references to Cthulhu predating the Arabic. It could also be an Assyrian portmanteau word mating alu'u (demon) and khatu (evil), or related to the Hebrew chadel, a term for Hell, or Sheol.

Then again, in Sanskrit the word katala describes a large sea monster and Cthulhu is a squid-like entity, closely tied to water; his servants are the Deep Ones, part-fish, part-frog, part-human abominations who breed with humans to produce offspring who seem human at first, but later seek the sea and become as their immortal parents, and the greatest of them is Dagon, god of the Philistines. In Chinese, the name is Kui tai lao hai, literally ancient evil demon of the ocean.

Perhaps the truth is that the name predates all of these, and in all the elder tongues of the world - except the Ancient Egyptian - Cthulhu has come to be a word of dread.

Heavily cribbed from In Rerum Supernaturum, in CoC 5.5

In layman's terms; this dude (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/%7Edamerell/CUWoCS/pix/cthulhu.gif).
Thanx... i still think its to confusing though :S

Lord Zedd
September 13th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I think they'll stay with the Ori. there is absolutely no need for a new mythology. Let the PTB focus on the Ori !! See we haven't seen the Ori even :S how laim is that. We see the Priors and the Doci one time but no Ori. :( I hope TPTB know they can't keep this up for ever !

Eoin
September 13th, 2005, 11:45 AM

What language is that :confused:

Lord Zedd
September 13th, 2005, 12:49 PM
No idea !! creepy but I hope they'll stop and switch to English again ! :p so that we all can read what it says

Eoin
September 13th, 2005, 01:06 PM
No idea !! creepy but I hope they'll stop and switch to English again ! :p so that we all can read what it says
agreed.... and creepy is right :S
:D

Mr Prophet
September 13th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Language of the Old Ones: In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

Arabic, from the Dread Necronomicon of the Mad Arab Abdul al-Hazrad: It is not dead that can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.

Eoin
September 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Language of the Old Ones: In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

Arabic, from the Dread Necronomicon of the Mad Arab Abdul al-Hazrad: It is not dead that can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.
Thanx for explaining what it meant :)

Mr Prophet
September 14th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Thanx for explaining what it meant :)

Of course, if you really want to know what it's all about, go here (http://cthulhu.slimyhorror.com/).

robby
September 14th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Of course, if you really want to know what it's all about, go here (http://cthulhu.slimyhorror.com/).

Or here (www.metallica.com). Actually, that's the Metallica website, but they have done a number of songs dealing with Cthulhu, including The Call of Ktulu, and The Thing That Should Not Be. The former being an instrumental, the latter having lyrics directly related to Cthulu. What does this have to do with anything? Well nothing, I suppose. I'm just taking the opportunity to push Metallica's older stuff.

HisDivineShadow
September 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I think that basing a show on the Cthulhu mythos would be awesome, except for two huge problems.

1). Every attempt to do this has sucked so far. Hellboy made several direct references to the series, and if you haven't seen that disaster before, consider yourself lucky. The movie Event Horizon also drew from this theme, and while I did find that movie tolerable, it was just barely so.

2). The whole premise is utterly incompatible with the show. SG-1 is not really a serious drama or epic, but a rather whimsical show about good guys going after and kicking the bad guys' asses, punctuated with smartass quips. Anyone who has read Lovecraft knows that this kind of attitude would definitely not work with a Cthulhu based show. Lovecraft, the creator of the Cthulhu mythos (for the most part) believed that any form of universal ethics or morality was a joke, that there is no God, that the existance of humanity is a cosmic accident without meaning, and that the only thing that keep humanity from having its collective mind shattered is that they live in a bubble of predefined ignorance about the true nature and terror of what truly IS. Trust me, a Zat-gun or a P90 would make absolutely no difference in the face of true cosmic horror.

It is probably the type of theme that would work well with a show like First Wave, The Outer Limits, or The X-Files, but introducing it to SG-1 would fundamentally change the show in such a way that most of the fans would probably turn against it, especially the ones who have no idea who Lovecraft is or how awesome his stories are.

-HDS

Mr Prophet
September 18th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I think that basing a show on the Cthulhu mythos would be awesome, except for two huge problems.

1). Every attempt to do this has sucked so far. Hellboy made several direct references to the series, and if you haven't seen that disaster before, consider yourself lucky.

On the other hand, it made several references to the superb Hellboy comic, and that didn't help it much either.

Trust me, a Zat-gun or a P90 would make absolutely no difference in the face of true cosmic horror.

Tell that to Titus Crowe. Not that I'm holding up Brian Lumley as an example of how to write mythos fiction and largely because of Titus Crowe, but if SG-1 threw down on Azathoth, thyat whole 'impervious to all earthly forces' thing would doubtless prove a minor quibble. I mean, if the Real Ghostbusters can take down the big C with a rollercoaster...

Actually, Titus Crowe is a fine argument both for and against this idea. On the one hand, the idea of a recurring and heroic mythos protagonist is fairly laughable, but on the other, Lumley's books sell millions, so there must be a market somewhere for people who put the smack down on the creatures of the mythos.

Auralis
September 18th, 2005, 04:03 AM
It is probably the type of theme that would work well with a show like First Wave, The Outer Limits, or The X-Files, but introducing it to SG-1 would fundamentally change the show in such a way that most of the fans would probably turn against it, especially the ones who have no idea who Lovecraft is or how awesome his stories are.

-HDS

I found the whole cthulhu stories actually pretty boring and have no desier at all to see them in Gate.

CueBa'al
September 18th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Lovecraft may be a bit dark for the show, imo.

Another option, in keeping with the whole "chariot of the Gods" theme, is the bizarre Alexander doomsday mythos surrounding the Gog/Magog and the gate between two mountains that sealed them in.

It always made me curious to know how a hellenistic military conqueror becomes an icon in the major monotheistic religions of today. WTH happened? Hehe