This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one thing i never understood

When There ships engage each other in battle on stargate it is not really an engagement, all they do is a waiting game ??? If i were captain on such a ship all i would say is FIRE, FIRE, FIRE , Kill them all, reroute all available energy from all sectors to weapons and FIRE, FIRE, FIRE, not play a waiting game ??? why do they do that, have you ever noticed this.

I would not give my enemy time to breed and keep hitting him with everything till he dies, not say "arm rail guns and stand by"

It is a necessity to open diplomatic relationship with foreign ships lest cause an outbreak of war over an avoidable skirmish.

Comment

That and the ships of stargate are generally more fragile then other sci-fi series'. One thing I like about it, ina space battle your not gonna be punching through sheilds for 30 minutes then beating the hull for another 30. Once the shield is down and your hull is breached thats it game over. Game over man. Game over.

Comment

Yeah, we seem to take the reasoning of 'talking your way out of a situation'.... not that that works with jaffa that often, or priors at all, but hey, you gotta try. Thier superiors expect 'morally correct' command descions.

The Ultimate Tech thread, for more discussions on FTL, ZPE, and pie

Relativity Q & A - Got questions? Want answers? Me too, but i got some answers too

Click this link to visit the place for my ideas and experiments to hide

Comment

They usually try to do it democraticlly, when fighting NEW enemies and those that CAN be negotiated with. Otherwise they tend to bring sheilds to full strength and wait to see if the enemy will attack. Then they open fire.

Comment

yeah man its all about the sheilds cause u evr notice that in most sci-fi show when there getting attacked they allways say reroute power to sheilds or something like that

Comment

you're right. I've "never" noticed that.
              'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
                you're right. I've "never" noticed that.
                i didnt say that u never noticed im saying thats what they always say

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
                  They usually try to do it democraticlly, when fighting NEW enemies and those that CAN be negotiated with. Otherwise they tend to bring sheilds to full strength and wait to see if the enemy will attack. Then they open fire.

Democraticlly...are you saying they take a vote?

"Words Have meaning" Rush Limbaugh
                  Hallowed are the Eey-Ore!

Comment

Originally posted by captain keys
                    yeah man its all about the sheilds cause u evr notice that in most sci-fi show when there getting attacked they allways say reroute power to sheilds or something like that
                    That's because the shields are the ship's lifeblood. They are the only thing that will prevent physical damage to the ship. If your ship is damaged physically, then you're in serious trouble. Very serious trouble.

In general, in the Stargate universe, if the SG-team is on a ship, and they encounter another ship they will usually try to avoid shooting out if they can. The only exception is if they encounter an enemy (gao'uld, etc). Also, if the ship has better weaponry, then it is more likely that the sg-team's ship will retreat. (Unless it's SG-1, because you just know they will find some way to sneak aboard the hostile ship and disable it in some way. ) Starting an intergalactic war is just a really bad idea. Just ask the Ancients and the Wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by captain keys
                      Because it is the shields that are essentially protecting the ship from being destroyed. You would say that especially if you are attacking the wraith. Are the sheilds on stargate have a frequency modulation, just like the ones on star trek. The shields on star trek are really strong force fields.

There is always a weak spot, on the daedalus and prometheus, I think the weak spot would be the hyperdrive module, just like on star trek the weak spot is the warp core, as the anti-matter would consume the entire ship it the core was breached.
                      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

(1) go into a battle with your shields and weapon systems ready. just in case all hell breaks loose
                        (2) open communication channels in hopes that the other guy is not going to be giving you the "you are an insult fool captain xx now prepare to meet your doom speech !!
                        (3) if all hell does break loose and your are getting your ass kicked then execute your "i am getting the hell otta here" protocol!
                        Now thats how I believe any good commander would enter battle
                        Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                        ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                        <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Originally posted by StevetheWraith!
                          (1) go into a battle with your shields and weapon systems ready. just in case all hell breaks loose
                          If you recall from Babylon 5: The Beginning :

When humans first encountered the Minbari's, a race thousands of years ahead of humans technologically, there was a problem with this exact approach.
                          The Minbari's believed that they should approach the humans with gun-ports open and weapons charged, because it was their way of showing that they approach with an open-hand with nothing to hide. The humans approached with their gunports closed and their weapons powered down because they did not want to appear hostile. Due to this "simple" misunderstanding the humans opened fire on the Minbari, resulting in a genocidal war waged mainly by the Minbari to eliminate the human race from existance due the killing of one of their holymen who was on that Minbari ship that day.

sidenote: Babylon5 was one of the best SciFi shows ever made.
                          -GuyFromOH
                          I'm a guy, from Ohio.
                          ------------------------------------
                          Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
                          Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
                          cool!"

Comment

Working...
                          X